Why do same sized wheels handle differently?

LanghamP

My KS14C handles radically different from my Inmotion V5F despite using the same Kenda 14 inch 2.125 tire. Shouldn't they be pretty close in handling?

For example, the V5 is actually quite difficult to balance. It tries to flop against the inner leg during turns. The KS is neutral; it doesn't try to turn more or less in turns. I like the KS handling a lot more.

Regardless, they both have the same tire size, and both have footpegs. They should handle pretty close to each other, no? Yet they are radically different.

maybe the thickness of each unit (that supports calf muscles) is different? 

I used to have KS14C and had a chance to ride V5F once, it was harder for me to balance (or maneuver) because my inner legs weren't getting enough support.

5 hours ago, Sven said:

I used to have KS14C and had a chance to ride V5F once, it was harder for me to balance (or maneuver) because my inner legs weren't getting enough support.

I've also ridden both and I loved the handling of the V5F+, I'm not convinced it is the narrower frame that makes much difference as, really your inner legs shouldn't need to give you much support. I had always considered it was the higher peddles which will make it less stable as you end up with a higher centre of gravity. However against that the higher peddles give you much better manoeuvrability as you have much better ground clearance in turns and the higher CofG allows it to drop into a turn quickly.

@LanghamP, as you can see, same tyre size is a very small part of the equation, different algorithms in the electronics and physical differences in peddle size/ position, weight, CofG, power, etc, etc can make much bigger differences. I've never ridden either but I would bet that the 14" KS-14D and 16" KS-16B are probably closer in handling than the KS-14C and the Inmotion V5F despite both being 14".

I was hoping to slow down the Inmotion V5's steering by putting on the same Kenda tire that was on the KS14c. To my surprise they have the same tire!

Also don't discount the difference that tire inflation can make. Let some air out of the tire and see if it helps with the feel. I used to keep my wheel super inflated but found that I liked the extra comfort and better handling of a softer tire.

@Keith and @dmethvin have already highlighted some of the important variables. With tyre pressure even a few psi can make a big difference (For some tricks I have to slightly adjust the tire pressure to make the wheel behave exactly as it needs to).

I did a post a while back that covered some of the variables that need to be considered (this was more to do with doing tricks consistently but it also explains why different wheels may handle very differently. As someone who likes to do tricks, this is why I have stuck to the same wheel with the same firmware version and try to control as many of the variables as possible.

Archived