Simple question: what is your primary foot?

What's your primary foot?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What's your primary foot? No, really - which one is it?

• Left foot
    • Right foot
  2. 2. Being right- or left-handed, is it the same as that?

• Same: right-handed and right foot
    • Same: left-handed and left foot
    • Opposite: right-handed and left foot
    • Opposite: left-handed and right foot

The primary foot being the one you put on the pedals first (then you start riding and the secondary foot used for pushing off follows). Since a lot of people can mount both ways, the one that you instinctively used as primary when learning.

Seeing EUC videos, so many people seem to start with the right foot first. Wondering how much it is skewed towards right vs left. Plus a small bonus question because why not. Thanks in advance:)

I'm right handed, but start with my left foot on the pedal. It just feels right, and my right foot is better at jumping into position. I would kick a ball with my right foot, but I skateboard goofy (left foot on tail). I've recently tried mounting the other way though and haven't had any trouble. 

Left foot on pedal is my favorite though. It feels like how my left foot feels on a  skateboard tail. 

My Primary Foot: Right (Right-Handed)

Interestingly, primary foot for EUC, just like board sports, have nothing to do with being right or left-handed. That's why for boarding lessons (snowboard, skateboard, etc) they ask you to place the foot that feels more natural, not what hand you write with.

47 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I'm right handed, but start with my left foot on the pedal. It just feels right, and my right foot is better at jumping into position. I would kick a ball with my right foot, but I skateboard goofy (left foot on tail)

Funny, just like I'd describe it for me (the ball thing). Minus the skateboard part, I'd die from merely touching one probably:P

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Interestingly, primary foot for EUC, just like board sports, have nothing to do with being right or left-handed

Is this a generally known fact?

I don't think it matters much, as once you get good on one side you're not bad on your other side.

For example, I thought I'm heavily right-handed but that's not true at all. I learned to box orthodox but then when I picked up fencing I found I can fence with my left hand so I would've to worry too much about changing the footwork. Then I started writing with my left hand in order to strengthen that hand, and it took a few days before I could do cursive with my non-dominant hand.

I would suggest alternating just enough so while you're good with one side you can still do the other side albeit clumsily. Better for the body.

I have selected "Same: left-handed and left foot" , surely I am left of foot, about the hand I write and turn the spaghetti with the right hand, but this is because I made the first grade in a school of nuns, but instinctively I am left, for example I always pulled the stones with the left

It gets more complicated than that.  People are also left-eyed and right-eyed.  And I am very strongly right handed and right footed(my left foot is terrible in soccer and much less powerful in martial arts kicking), but with long instruments (pool cue, rifle, bow, guitar) I hold them in the left-dominant way.  I am also left-eyed.

13 hours ago, Kroy said:

Step on left EUC peddle first.
Right handed & right footed.
Wink at girls by closing my left eye.

I always get slapped on the left side of my face.

Haha everything gets complicated the longer you look at it. Left foot on pedal, right foot the usual primary foot, and then the other body parts come into play... and other people's body parts:)

Also, surprised it isn't skewed towards right foot more.

Archived