MSuper Bucks after stopping on hill

6 hours ago, jrkline said:

My ACM which is also formerly owned by Marty BrokeBacke 

:laughbounce2: Marty your new MBB name is awesome!  Now you need to change your Avatar! 

8 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

:laughbounce2: Marty your new MBB name is awesome!  Now you need to change your Avatar! 

Ain't going to happen :mellow:

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Ain't going to happen :mellow:

I know you are very busy and just don't have the time! Don't worry buddy! I will assist you on this monumental task!:laughbounce2:

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

In both cases with my older wheels, there was a lot more weight on the wheel

I know you work hard to maintain the girlish figure for ol' @Hunka Hunka Burning Love,  but a lot more weight? I have maybe 25 lbs. on you.;)

3 minutes ago, jrkline said:

I know you work hard to maintain the girlish figure for ol' @Hunka Hunka Burning Love,  but a lot more weight? I have maybe 25 lbs. on you.;)

Hey, you've told me that you weigh 200 lbs. My riding weight is 170 pounds. 30 pounds is nothing to sneeze at.

I sense that someone's sensitive about their weight :laughbounce2:

On 6/5/2017 at 4:22 AM, HeavyGoing said:

Well, after a nice dinner, the panel comes off and look what we have here.

I won't go as far as to say that this is THE problem but I am pretty sure is A problem.

Now to find a connector....

I think you might have problem with the engine cable as well  (not surprised if thats true).

The PVC casing looks melted, maybe you could provide a detailed photo of this area?

593671a5d7b53_Enginecable.jpg.b68d8d7b1dd7b7b34a223245dbb4735c.jpg

And again, its been said before, the design is flawed, 16AWG for enginecable is to small for the current/power available and will always fail when pushed. More so with 67V engines.

So when you fix your connectors and continue riding, your engine cable will melt through and trough in your usagecase.

There is a reason battery cables are bigger (not just voltage drop) they don't melt, and the same current that goes through the battery cables will always go through the engine cables.

14 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

HMP alloy alloy for example becomes liquid at 300°C  ( 572F) (USUALLY HAS SILVER ON IT) can therefore be relied upon in service up to about 255°C

Lets assume they use this type of solder, with the 16AWG cable, it will still melt that solder i think. With this small cable and the high currents the heat that the conductor reaches is well over 200C.

Lets take a known high quality cable 16AWG silicon insulation: http://catalog.connectronicscorp.com/Asset/WIREMAX-conductor-CURRENT--2-.pdf

16AWG cable, in free air, 30 degrees C, not bundled with no other wires gives 32 amps and then the core/conductor of the cable will be 200 degrees.

The differens from 125C to 200C conductor temp is only 6 amps. 

So lets see, 3000W peak with 67V = 44 amps, 12 more amps. That conductor is now probably 300C or more and will melt any solder.

And temperature rise is quick with these currents.

This calculation is done on a (1) cable i free air, 30 degrees C, high quality silicon cable. Not bundled and not covered with a heat adding sleeves (this is not a fix) and then protected (bundled) by a PVC sleeve thats not designed for 200C and put inside a box (wheel) with a heat generating control board.

This (melting) problem will always be here, in one shape or form (solder, wire, insulation)  if they continue to use the same engine cable with 16AWG and don't raise voltage higher.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Hey, you've told me that you weigh 200 lbs. My riding weight is 170 pounds. 30 pounds is nothing to sneeze at.

I sense that someone's sensitive about their weight :laughbounce2:

Actually,being on the heavy side feels good.When I was 18 and joined the Air force,I was 6 feet tall and weighed 125lbs. Total bean pole.The weight thing was just a way of getting the @Hunka Hunka Burning Love bromance thing in and I didn't want to hit too hard in one post by including @Rehab1's MBB avatar (Marty BrokeBacke) or the one where when you forget your helmut and ride without a helmut gives you that "Trump Hair" look! Do you think ol' @Hunka Hunka Burning Love digs the "Trump Hair" ?:roflmao:

4 hours ago, Xima Lhotz said:

I think you might have problem with the engine cable as well  (not surprised if thats true)

Good point! I don't think heat damage would show there first, but worth checking out. Hope it's just an optical illusion or something unimportant.

1 hour ago, jrkline said:

Could this be the new MBB @Marty Backe avatar?

First it's being envious of my trim figure, now you're thinking how nice it would be to have hair too :laughbounce2:

On 6/6/2017 at 3:49 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't think heat damage would show there first, but worth checking out.

The cable is actually hottest inside the pvc casing as the conductor isn't in free air. It may look like the worst place is with the connectors but that's likely to the solder melting, creating a bad connection that causes sparks, smoke, sut at the point where it fails.  

Like putting a red hot iron inside a glove, touch it from the outside and it's still cooler, for a while before the glove catches fire. Touch the iron without a glove and you get instant burn but the iron will dissipate the heat faster.

That why using heatsleeves is such a bad idea, it protects from the burn from the cable (or iron) from the outside but inside the sleeve it's hotter (and retains heat) and puts more stress on the cable. 

And sure as you say, at the time of failure due to increased resistanse, bad connection the heat is hottest at the connection at that point in time.

Archived