Are these the cables I should be careful of?

So I opened my Msuper after some major trail riding today to check the wiring. Are these the three wires that I should check carefully? I pulled it a few times seems ok but the sleave pulls back very easily to expose the soldered wire is this normal?

The solder looks clean not sure what the black sleave is there for is it to protect the solder? Should I apply some silicone around there to strengthen it, I wasn't worried before but after going with a friend into the bush today I have discovered just how good the Msuper can handle the rough trails. I'll be doing more so looking at making this Msuper a little saver to take the punishment.

I am terrible with anything with circuit boards or electronics so I am thanking you guys in advance. If I need to cut and resolder these wires are there people who do these things and how does some one like me find them do I look for a electrian. 

IMG_2645.JPG

8 hours ago, Goodman said:

So I opened my Msuper after some major trail riding today to check the wiring. Are these the three wires that I should check carefully? I pulled it a few times seems ok but the sleave pulls back very easily to expose the soldered wire is this normal?

The solder looks clean not sure what the black sleave is there for is it to protect the solder? Should I apply some silicone around there to strengthen it, I wasn't worried before but after going with a friend into the bush today I have discovered just how good the Msuper can handle the rough trails. I'll be doing more so looking at making this Msuper a little saver to take the punishment.

I am terrible with anything with circuit boards or electronics so I am thanking you guys in advance. If I need to cut and resolder these wires are there people who do these things and how does some one like me find them do I look for a electrian. 

IMG_2645.JPG

Yea, I would give it a lil tug and if everything feels secure then leave it alone, the black sleeve protect the connectors from touching so I case for some reason you need to replace your control board then that is where you disconnect it from the motor. From the picture every thing looks nice and clean so seems like ur good to go

The main point should be the conector inside and in detail how the cable is mounted to the connector. There where different batches with gw trying to improve this "bottleneck". The last versions should be crimped, but was unfortionately soldered before...

also the cable diameter could/should be increased.

but anyhow, there are many riders with gw around who seem to have no cable/connector prob.

imho @Rehab1 gained quite some expertise regarding this topic if you look at: 

there you should also find quite some hints in the discussions...

10 hours ago, Goodman said:

When was your MSuper manufactured? I cannot tell from the photo what style connectors you have.The exposed soldered wires beneath the white fabric sleeve is my concern. Can you slide the black plastic sheath over the wire to completely insulate the connection? If so apply some heat to the sheath to see if it shrinks around the wire to form a bond. 

If your wheel is produced in or after March '17 (roughly), the connectors should be good and nobody seems to have had any problems with them. I'd say you can leave them as is, maybe use a little bit of duct tape to close the gaps, or silicone if you want.

One more thing to watch out is where the 3 fat motor cables separate from the thin hall sensor wires, coming out from the big black sleeve of the cable right from the motor. If you ever get overheating problems due to high currents, this is where stuff will happen first because the cabling is most dense there. So check for reasonable cable management (the msuper V3 is much better than the ACM in this respect because there's more space in the shell for the cable routes, so it will be good 99,99999%) in case there's a dense knot of cables there, and possibly you could check for heat damage which would appear there first. But that's purely theoretical, in case of overstress due to currents too high for the cables. Only then. Flat trails (not 10% constant incline), I don't think you'll be able to damage the cables this way.

I don't think you have anything to fix or worry about (unless the unlikely case of the old connectors, then it might be good to have them redone properly sooner or later).

Mine was manufactured in march, looking inside the black sleave looks to be a golden coloured metal attached to the soldered wire. I did pull at it pretty hard and it didn't come apart so I think it's good for now.

I'll get sime duct tape and seal and secure the connection area abit more, I can differently do taping :).

Thanks for all the advice 

Archived