what should i buy

Noam Elad

1 hour ago, Noam Elad said:

after i saw the IPS 121+ in 500$, the  ROCKWAY GT16 looks pricy 

Without having ever learned and ridden an EUC, nothing we tell you be more effective than you actually buying your first EUC (any EUC), learning it enough to ride regularly, then note what you're lacking/missing after regular riding.

For reference, I too, in my pre-EUC days, thought the Ninebot One E+, $950 at the time I believe, was too expensive. Now, after having bought my 8th EUC, I realize this is more around the average, more affordable price of a competitive, mass-produced EUC.

1 hour ago, esaj said:

I don't mean to bash the GT16 or Rockwheel, it seems really nice, but being that it's pretty new and there are so few users yet, we can't really make much claims about its safety/durability yet either? Rockwheel disappeared from the scene for a couple of years after the GR16, which had issues with the motor gearing wearing out and sudden cutout at somewhere around 30+km/h. GT16 might be a great wheel, a total disaster in the longer run, or anything between... ;)  Apparently @Noam Elad hasn't ever ridden a wheel before, so suggesting GT16 seemed a little off to me, but probably it's the cheapest fast wheel out there. But in the end, it's up to him.

Oh, I know it's not bashing :D. That's why my replies try to carry as little prejudice or judgement as possible: merely what I've actually experienced combined with the reports and news I've heard. 

Honestly, I wouldn't personally recommend a GT16 to a beginner (nor Gotway for that matter), simply due to the speed. As we all go through the EUC growing/learning pains, esp. experiencing that first overlean cutout, doing so at a higher speed becomes even more painful. (I guess I was just talking off-topic (sorry!) since the GT16 was mentioned....)

My pick would be more the InMotion V8 for it's balance of design, safety, moderate speed, etc. But sometimes, some people must buy what they must buy.

42 minutes ago, esaj said:

If I wrote a KS16S review now, having had the wheel but for about two weeks, and one of those weeks I was unable to ride due to bad flu and cold weather (dropping below freezing at night at times), it would come out far too positive. I'm still in the "honeymoon period" with the new wheel, so it's hard to be objective about things when you just love riding it. That's why I'm going to take several weeks and probably rack up a good 1000+ km on it before giving my opinion, which even then won't be 100% objective (no human can be totally objective), but at least will give a more realistic view of the good and bad sides than now.

A big AMEN to this! :clap3:

We ALL tend to love our brand new EUCs with very little mileage on it; esp spending all that money. That's why I'm waiting to hit the 1,000km mark to post any semblance of a review on the GT16.

I like to think I am even more impartial than most, having now bought every currently significant EUC manufacturer's products at least once, but also realize no one can be perfectly impartial.

18 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

The IPS 121 is not comparable. It is much slower. So if tha is ok I agree but you said it had to ver very fast. 

Well unless is the 121+ which claims 30kph. They also claim 20 mile range with a 350wh !battery. NO WAY it can go that far.

My MCM4 14 inch 680wh is rated at 20+ miles and I have achieved that. 

Sobyes the IPS 121+ is a good deal but Not as fast and not higher range. 

Get the specs. Make sure they make sense.

I think a god rule of thumb is 30wh per mile or about 20wh per km. Rounding of generously. 

Others on the forum might have more accurate numbers. 

IPS is a good brand. Because your weather is so hot I think you will need bigger batteries if you want long distance. 

I would take the advertised range and reduce it by 30% because of the heat. That will give you a number that won't disappoint you when running on hot weather. 

i need for short distances, i want to combine it with public transportation so i need really short disdance and really great speed (of traveling in the city, israel is a tiny place, my city is 19.2 km^2 and it medium size city,so it perfect for this).

18 hours ago, esaj said:

Yeah, all the fast wheel and/or ones with big batteries are pricey, but I don't know what you consider fast. A couple of years back, 25-30km/h was considered fast, now it's something like 40km/h+. 840Wh was BIG battery back then, now you can get a Gotway Monster with 2400Wh battery packs (but it's probably the most expensive out there, around $2500-3000?).

IPS's have mainly a good reputation, although they don't make any wheels that are considered that fast nowadays or have especially big batteries. If lower speed (like <25-30km/h) and range (<=20km? depends on your weight and terrain) is enough for you, there are more options in the lower price/speed/range categories. Ninebots and IPS have held a fairly good track record, although no wheel is 100% safe and probably every brand has had burned mainboards and issues here and there, some more than others.

I suggest you go read up on the reviews-section and brand-specific subforums about the different wheels, it will give you better idea of them than anyone can explain shortly here.

I don't mean to bash the GT16 or Rockwheel, it seems really nice, but being that it's pretty new and there are so few users yet, we can't really make much claims about its safety/durability yet either? Rockwheel disappeared from the scene for a couple of years after the GR16, which had issues with the motor gearing wearing out and sudden cutout at somewhere around 30+km/h. GT16 might be a great wheel, a total disaster in the longer run, or anything between... ;)  Apparently @Noam Elad hasn't ever ridden a wheel before, so suggesting GT16 seemed a little off to me, but probably it's the cheapest fast wheel out there. But in the end, it's up to him.

umm for cities and for my safty i would say 20-30 km/h is fine, and 20km range is great

18 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

That IS HOT!

you understand this is a battery device as does not like heat. The batteries deteriorate faster. Make sure you keep away from the heat. 

I believe the GT16 has vents. Possible to add more fans to keep board cool during riding. 

The most chalenging environment is heat. Hopefully it's not an issue. But for sure keep the batteries away from the HOT so they last longer. Heat will deteriorate charging capacity. 

it is just two mounth of around 30 c , but in the morning/at night the tempature is around 25-20 so it is fine

17 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Without having ever learned and ridden an EUC, nothing we tell you be more effective than you actually buying your first EUC (any EUC), learning it enough to ride regularly, then note what you're lacking/missing after regular riding.

For reference, I too, in my pre-EUC days, thought the Ninebot One E+, $950 at the time I believe, was too expensive. Now, after having bought my 8th EUC, I realize this is more around the average, more affordable price of a competitive, mass-produced EUC.

Oh, I know it's not bashing :D. That's why my replies try to carry as little prejudice or judgement as possible: merely what I've actually experienced combined with the reports and news I've heard. 

Honestly, I wouldn't personally recommend a GT16 to a beginner (nor Gotway for that matter), simply due to the speed. As we all go through the EUC growing/learning pains, esp. experiencing that first overlean cutout, doing so at a higher speed becomes even more painful. (I guess I was just talking off-topic (sorry!) since the GT16 was mentioned....)

My pick would be more the InMotion V8 for it's balance of design, safety, moderate speed, etc. But sometimes, some people must buy what they must buy.

A big AMEN to this! :clap3:

We ALL tend to love our brand new EUCs with very little mileage on it; esp spending all that money. That's why I'm waiting to hit the 1,000km mark to post any semblance of a review on the GT16.

I like to think I am even more impartial than most, having now bought every currently significant EUC manufacturer's products at least once, but also realize no one can be perfectly impartial.

:((((((((((
i need something much cheaper.
Inmotion V3Pro looks good and cheap

25 minutes ago, Noam Elad said:

It's a twin wheel design, which has some serious pros and cons.

On the pro-side, it shortens the learning curve when you start out for the first time. The wheel is less squirrely on flat ground. And it is very easy to go really slow. Also it is a blast in the supermarket, as you pull the trolley up and the wheel can stand for itself while you pick stuff into your basket. It is dead easy to take on the bus, as it is small, reasonably light, and stable.

On the con-side, it gives you bad habits. One such habit is just stepping on the wheel without leaning it inwards. That will come and bite you on the tail whenever you decide you want a true one-wheeler. Also it is a pain on uneven ground, as the bumps often come off-centre and with force, making you sway more than on a one-wheel design. Lastly it is a pain on sideways leaning roads and curbs, since you have to lean with the angle of the road. If you don't, you'll find yourself on one of the two wheels, turning.

If you count out the problems with twin wheels, there's also the limitations of that model. The motor is 450W, which is on the low side but acceptable. The battery is just 144Wh, which is dismal. You'll find yourself carrying the charger around whenever you don't know for certain that you'll be home in time to recharge...

On the positive side Inmotion makes good quality wheels, so you'll probably not have anything to remark upon in terms of sturdiness or quality control.

18 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

It's a twin wheel design, which has some serious pros and cons.

On the pro-side, it shortens the learning curve when you start out for the first time. The wheel is less squirrely on flat ground. And it is very easy to go really slow. Also it is a blast in the supermarket, as you pull the trolley up and the wheel can stand for itself while you pick stuff into your basket. It is dead easy to take on the bus, as it is small, reasonably light, and stable.

On the con-side, it gives you bad habits. One such habit is just stepping on the wheel without leaning it inwards. That will come and bite you on the tail whenever you decide you want a true one-wheeler. Also it is a pain on uneven ground, as the bumps often come off-centre and with force, making you sway more than on a one-wheel design. Lastly it is a pain on sideways leaning roads and curbs, since you have to lean with the angle of the road. If you don't, you'll find yourself on one of the two wheels, turning.

If you count out the problems with twin wheels, there's also the limitations of that model. The motor is 450W, which is on the low side but acceptable. The battery is just 144Wh, which is dismal. You'll find yourself carrying the charger around whenever you don't know for certain that you'll be home in time to recharge...

On the positive side Inmotion makes good quality wheels, so you'll probably not have anything to remark upon in terms of sturdiness or quality control.

umm any other recommendation?  something 500$ +-

9 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Not really, I just wanted to make sure you knew the breaks of the game with that one.

Or, rather, I would add $100-200 to that budget, then there are alternatives like Gotway MCM4 or KingSong 14b/c (if you're not too heavy), or an Inmotion v5f/v5f+

They are all good gear AFAIK

If your budget is $500 then I'd go with the V5F.  If you can afford the V5F+, then obviously do that for the added speed and range, but the V5F is a good fit at roughly that price point.  I'd stay clear of the 14inch KS wheels, unless you can consider the D or S versions, but I don't have experience with those and I doubt you'll find them for $500.  Not sure about the MCM, no experience with those.

5 hours ago, Noam Elad said:

I don't have experience with the V3Pro, but If you can get into a V5F, that's what I'd do.  I think that you'd be wishing you'd gone with the single wheel once you learn how to ride the duel wheel...it certainly takes some patience and practice, but the single wheel is fantastic once you get it!

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Or, rather, I would add $100-200 to that budget, then there are alternatives like Gotway MCM4 or KingSong 14b/c (if you're not too heavy), or an Inmotion v5f/v5f+

They are all good gear AFAIK

2 hours ago, Maximus said:

If your budget is $500 then I'd go with the V5F.  If you can afford the V5F+, then obviously do that for the added speed and range, but the V5F is a good fit at roughly that price point.  I'd stay clear of the 14inch KS wheels, unless you can consider the D or S versions, but I don't have experience with those and I doubt you'll find them for $500.  Not sure about the MCM, no experience with those.

3 hours ago, JAL_GRANADA said:

I definitely agree. It is worth to add $100-200 to get Inmotion V5f+. You will not regret.

why those wheels are better then  the IPS 121+  ?

5 minutes ago, Noam Elad said:

why those wheels are better then  the IPS 121+  ?

I'm not sure whether they're better. The IPS seems solid enough - even if the design is a bit angular/raw for my taste.

My own experience first and second hand is limited to Inmotion, Rockwheel and Gotway.

Out of those three, Inmotion seems the most "polished" and overdesigned, Gotway has gone for power, while Rockwheel seems slightly crazy-like. I say that as an owner of a Rockwheel GT16, which is a bonkers wheel. It has absurd raw power, looks sharp, and on paper it has all the bells and whistles. In reality it seems like they let it out on the market before the design was truly ready.

The IPS on the other hand is a tried and tested design AFAIK, so it should be a safe bet. Personally I would rather take a Lhotz, as I like the design-language and I'm a sucker for good looks. But that is another couple of hundred dollars I suppose.

The IPS 121+ seems solid though.

I ride an IPS wheel - the 191 though, not the 121.

My opinion... they're like a Toyota Corolla. Nothing too radical or extreme, but a good wheel that will simply go. 

I think the members above who suggest saving up a bit are making a lot of sense.  With just a hundred or two dollars above your $500 ideal spending point, you have a lot more selection and can get into some pretty good wheels.

If you spend $500 but are unhappy, maybe it would have been better for you to have waited longer and saved up money to get a machine you would be really happy with.  I don't mean a $2000 wheel, but maybe a $700 wheel.  Some of those are really nice.

It's too bad you can't try out a wheel as wheels feel like the most personal of all reasonable transportation devices. I'll bet more than a few forum guys who have more than a few wheels ride one or two hardly at all. Personally I hardly ever ride my Gotway MS3vs; it's too big and fast for my present skill level.

The KS14C a bunch of us picked up for $500 due to a clearance sale; I thought I'd have it is a second trainer wheel but, surprise, I like it much more than my V5F+. It's such a wonderful wheel but no one recommends it due to the low reliability.

Basically I agree wholeheartedly you can't really know what you want until you get your first wheel.

For me, that's probably a 14, possibly a 16, inch wheel, with huge range and moderate speed, certainly a trolley handle, circular shaped, under 30 pounds, with loudspeakers.

8 hours ago, LanghamP said:

It's too bad you can't try out a wheel as wheels feel like the most personal of all reasonable transportation devices. I'll bet more than a few forum guys who have more than a few wheels ride one or two hardly at all. Personally I hardly ever ride my Gotway MS3vs; it's too big and fast for my present skill level.

The KS14C a bunch of us picked up for $500 due to a clearance sale; I thought I'd have it is a second trainer wheel but, surprise, I like it much more than my V5F+. It's such a wonderful wheel but no one recommends it due to the low reliability.

Basically I agree wholeheartedly you can't really know what you want until you get your first wheel.

For me, that's probably a 14, possibly a 16, inch wheel, with huge range and moderate speed, certainly a trolley handle, circular shaped, under 30 pounds, with loudspeakers.

umm for the trolley i can other alternative and for the speaker i have charge 3 jbl so it is pretty load and the quality is amazing.
so what are you recommend me?

8 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I think the members above who suggest saving up a bit are making a lot of sense.  With just a hundred or two dollars above your $500 ideal spending point, you have a lot more selection and can get into some pretty good wheels.

If you spend $500 but are unhappy, maybe it would have been better for you to have waited longer and saved up money to get a machine you would be really happy with.  I don't mean a $2000 wheel, but maybe a $700 wheel.  Some of those are really nice.

but now i see that the 500$ wheel is pretty great, i would spend more if i will see a better one

11 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I ride an IPS wheel - the 191 though, not the 121.

My opinion... they're like a Toyota Corolla. Nothing too radical or extreme, but a good wheel that will simply go. 

what the differences?

13 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I'm not sure whether they're better. The IPS seems solid enough - even if the design is a bit angular/raw for my taste.

My own experience first and second hand is limited to Inmotion, Rockwheel and Gotway.

Out of those three, Inmotion seems the most "polished" and overdesigned, Gotway has gone for power, while Rockwheel seems slightly crazy-like. I say that as an owner of a Rockwheel GT16, which is a bonkers wheel. It has absurd raw power, looks sharp, and on paper it has all the bells and whistles. In reality it seems like they let it out on the market before the design was truly ready.

The IPS on the other hand is a tried and tested design AFAIK, so it should be a safe bet. Personally I would rather take a Lhotz, as I like the design-language and I'm a sucker for good looks. But that is another couple of hundred dollars I suppose.

The IPS 121+ seems solid though.

TY for the recommendation 

5 hours ago, Noam Elad said:

what the differences? 

The IPS121 and IPS191 have the same motor and battery, but different cases. And the IPS191 also has a fatter tyre, which is better off-road.

When buying an EUC, cheap good fast, just choose either 2 of 3 characteristics.....

Why not go for a second hand IPS 680 (same as the 121 but with a 680Wh battery) or IPS Lhotz 340,

these EUCs ar not sexy with the latest design features but built as a  tank, safe and reliable.

For more details:

On 5.6.2017 at 9:13 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The IPS121 and IPS191 have the same motor and battery, but different cases. And the IPS191 also has a fatter tyre, which is better off-road.

the price is the same?

On 5.6.2017 at 10:17 PM, Jurgen said:

When buying an EUC, cheap good fast, just choose either 2 of 3 characteristics.....

Why not go for a second hand IPS 680 (same as the 121 but with a 680Wh battery) or IPS Lhotz 340,

these EUCs ar not sexy with the latest design features but built as a  tank, safe and reliable.

For more details:

umm because i live in israel and most of the people ships to usa/canada

I'm a new EUC rider.  I got my V8 in mid April.

Now that I've got more comfortable riding, I'm exploring beyond my neighborhood.  So I wish I had gotten something with better range like the 40-60 miles or higher.  But that's because I'm really into this thing and ride wherever and whenever I can.  If you're not hardcore 20-30miles is probably enough but not anything less.

Archived