what should i buy

Noam Elad

I think we all want that wheel... if only it existed! 

If you want realistic comments I would suggest you prioritise your requirements for us. Also add in the distances you want / need to travel, an idea of the terrain you will be riding (eg. hills, off-road,  et cetera) and an indication of your weight too.

Also, what experience do you have with electric unicycles?

"Cheap" is a little relative, I think.  Most of the less expensive wheels are not going to get into that speed range.  For ~$1000 I think you'd want to look into the inmotion V8 or V5F+.  Both of those will get you close to the low end of that speed range and are relatively "cheap".  The V8 meets the "optional cool feature" check box because it has customization lights on the side.  Both of those wheels would be good for city riding and are very reliable.

If you can spend closer to ~$1500, then the Gotway ACM or Kingsong KS14/16S wheels might you closer to the top end speed you are looking for.  The KingSong brand offers speakers to satisfy the "cool" factor.

Reliability is tough to quantify, so you'll get varying opinions on that, but in my experience, which is limited, I'd say the inmotion wheels are most reliable.  If distance and range are a concern then the inmotion wheels fall a little short.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

If you want realistic comments I would suggest you prioritise your requirements for us. Also add in the distances you want / need to travel, an idea of the terrain you will be riding (eg. hills, off-road,  et cetera) and an indication of your weight too.

Agree, 100%

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I think we all want that wheel... if only it existed! 

thank you for your comment!
i really interested in this type of commute.
I have no experince with electric unicycles, my wight is aroud the 80 kg , i need for really short distances like 10 km but i need really great speed and my terrain is pretty flat and more "city" like

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

"Cheap" is a little relative, I think.  Most of the less expensive wheels are not going to get into that speed range.  For ~$1000 I think you'd want to look into the inmotion V8 or V5F+.  Both of those will get you close to the low end of that speed range and are relatively "cheap".  The V8 meets the "optional cool feature" check box because it has customization lights on the side.  Both of those wheels would be good for city riding and are very reliable.

If you can spend closer to ~$1500, then the Gotway ACM or Kingsong KS14/16S wheels might you closer to the top end speed you are looking for.  The KingSong brand offers speakers to satisfy the "cool" factor.

Reliability is tough to quantify, so you'll get varying opinions on that, but in my experience, which is limited, I'd say the inmotion wheels are most reliable.  If distance and range are a concern then the inmotion wheels fall a little short.

Good luck!

Agree, 100%

thank you for your comment!
umm i would like more cool feature like a speaker or lightening opetion to see in the dark.
i prefer something really cheap and fast basicly.

34 minutes ago, Noam Elad said:

i prefer something really cheap and fast basicly.

I'm not sure if this combination exists, if you're looking for a fast wheel (which is... I don't know, 35-40km/h+?), you'll likely need to spend at least 1000-1500€/$, if not more.

I think you will need to look for something second hand if you want "cheap".  Most wheels offer a head light to see in the dark.  The inmotion V8 has more of a disco light feature, which I'm assuming is more in line with a cool factor you are looking for.  I'm not positive, but if you are looking for speakers, I think that KingSong is the only option there.  Take a look in the private sales forum...you might be able to find something that will satisfy your speed and cost requirements there.  For a new wheel, you are unlikely to get a fast wheel (i.e. ~35kph) for under $1500.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/24-private-sales-secondhand/

On 2.6.2017 at 6:01 PM, Maximus said:

I think you will need to look for something second hand if you want "cheap".  Most wheels offer a head light to see in the dark.  The inmotion V8 has more of a disco light feature, which I'm assuming is more in line with a cool factor you are looking for.  I'm not positive, but if you are looking for speakers, I think that KingSong is the only option there.  Take a look in the private sales forum...you might be able to find something that will satisfy your speed and cost requirements there.  For a new wheel, you are unlikely to get a fast wheel (i.e. ~35kph) for under $1500.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/24-private-sales-secondhand/

how i know that it is not a scam?
maybe 20kph max can be great for my needs

What actually IS your budget? Have you said?

These machines are a big enough investment, both financially and in terms of time/passion that (regardless of your pockets) you shouldn't 'go cheap' even if it is your first wheel.

Might be worth waiting until you can spring for a great wheel in the first hand market...OR keep a beady eye on the second-hand section of the forum for anything good. In terms of trust, if the seller on the forum has a lot of posts/reputation etc, that might be a good place to start in terms of assessing legitimacy. 

On 6/2/2017 at 10:23 AM, Noam Elad said:

i prefer something really cheap

As others have mentioned, there probably is not a "really cheap" wheel that meets the requirements you listed. Of course, this can vary depending upon one's definition of "really cheap." Nevertheless, probably you are looking at approximately $1000 as a price point, which most people wouldn't call "really cheap." There are some great wheels out there for less if you are willing to give up some "coolness." My favorite example: IPS 121+ for $550 shipped. I ride this several times per week for the past 1.5 years, and I have loads of fun with it.

https://alldaywheel.com/collections/inventory/products/ips-122

@Noam Elad I think the ROCKWAY GT16 is your wheel.

i believe if you take price/kph is the best deal. 

I would buy a wheel that has the 84 volts battery system. 

Another fast wheel is the GOTWAY ACM.

Those are 16 inch wheels. 

On the 14 inch size I would consider the GOTWAY MCM4 HS. It can safely go 30 mph specially if you are talking flat and short distance. I would go with the 680wh battery so you have max power for max speed on your flat short commutes. It is also light enough to carry. 

The kingsong are good product too but I don't like the 16 inch is very tall. And the 14 is not as fast as the MCM4 HS. But the KINSONG has the build in trolley and speakers. 

I thing if you want the fastest wheel for the lowest money you might have to give up the shiny lights and trolley. 

Many other good choices but if price and speed are the main needs that is my personal preferences. 

I wonder if Rockwheel GT16 is actually good for beginner, it's fast and relatively cheap (around ~$1000 if bought directly from China), but it's probably one of the, if not the least safe wheel out right now? :P  Single speed warning, no battery warnings?

Reminds me of Rockwheel GR16 (older model with geared motor):

1 hour ago, MaxLinux said:

As others have mentioned, there probably is not a "really cheap" wheel that meets the requirements you listed. Of course, this can vary depending upon one's definition of "really cheap." Nevertheless, probably you are looking at approximately $1000 as a price point, which most people wouldn't call "really cheap." There are some great wheels out there for less if you are willing to give up some "coolness." My favorite example: IPS 121+ for $550 shipped. I ride this several times per week for the past 1.5 years, and I have loads of fun with it.

https://alldaywheel.com/collections/inventory/products/ips-122

WOW, it is really cheap , sounds good. does this site ship to israel?

54 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

@Noam Elad I think the ROCKWAY GT16 is your wheel.

i believe if you take price/kph is the best deal. 

I would buy a wheel that has the 84 volts battery system. 

Another fast wheel is the GOTWAY ACM.

Those are 16 inch wheels. 

On the 14 inch size I would consider the GOTWAY MCM4 HS. It can safely go 30 mph specially if you are talking flat and short distance. I would go with the 680wh battery so you have max power for max speed on your flat short commutes. It is also light enough to carry. 

The kingsong are good product too but I don't like the 16 inch is very tall. And the 14 is not as fast as the MCM4 HS. But the KINSONG has the build in trolley and speakers. 

I thing if you want the fastest wheel for the lowest money you might have to give up the shiny lights and trolley. 

Many other good choices but if price and speed are the main needs that is my personal preferences. 

umm i can give up on trolly .
how much it costs?
and where can i buy it and ship it to israel?

13 minutes ago, Noam Elad said:

umm i can give up on trolly .
how much it costs?
and where can i buy it and ship it to israel?

The cheapest I've seen is Green & Fashion Travelling Shop in Aliexpress (there are multiple people who have bought wheels from them in the forums, so the shop seems to be legit). It's been on sale for a while, around 930€ / $1050. Don't know if the prices and/or shipping options are different depending on your country, and if any import rates/taxes or such apply.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Inmotion-V5F-Electric-unicycle-electrombile-motorcycle-one-wheel-balance-car-max-speed-30km-h-life30km-APP/32659281727.html

Nevermind the URL (it says InMotion V5F, but goes to Rockwheel). Not sure on the max speed, maybe 40km/h or even more? Relatively new model, unknown if the mainboard lasts (first batches reportedly had some burnt mainboards after a couple of hundred km). Apparently doesn't have much warnings, so it could cut out (turn off) under you at high speeds..? I was wondering if I should get one a while back, but it seems too risky, as very few people in the forums have them yet, so no idea on all the possible issues it still might have. No idea how warranty works overseas, probably they ship you parts if something breaks? Never tried one, obviously, but personally I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner wheel, but it's your neck ;)

European shops sell the same model (84V / 858Wh) for around 1500-1600€, I think.

I am considering the GT16 the ACM and the MSUPERV3.

but for the price the GT16 is amazing. Like others said before. New model but I believe he is one of the original GOTWAY engineers. 

I saw a sprint race of GT16 against ACM or MSUPER and the ROCKWHEEL GT16 beat them. The GOTWAY crashed due to top speeed I believe the GOTWAY machine was. 67volts model. gotway now has 84 volt models so outcome might be different. 

But i have not seen a better deal yet. I think @captainwells has one and have not reported issues with his. 

Well someone has to buy them so we can know. 

59 minutes ago, esaj said:

I wonder if Rockwheel GT16 is actually good for beginner, it's fast and relatively cheap (around ~$1000 if bought directly from China), but it's probably one of the, if not the least safe wheel out right now?

FWIW most all reported GT16 issues I've heard of have involved heavier riders going uphill in hotter climates. And all board-related, no wires or cable connectors melting reported, so I wouldn't say any more unsafe then all the Gotway 84V issues IMHO.

59 minutes ago, esaj said:

Single speed warning, no battery warnings?

3 alarms, none can be turned off, but can be all set to the same speed. And yes, reportedly all based on speed, not power. Dunno about cripple mode as I never ride down there.

50 minutes ago, Noam Elad said:

WOW, it is really cheap , sounds good. does this site ship to israel?

Main ex-China resource for Rockwheel is AliExpress.

It seems most shops will ship to Israel, although I've heard about the hardships in importing lithium battery devices to there.

Also, the few of us on the forums that have purchased the GT16 seemed to have all purchased via Rockwheel AliExpress store. And remember, these are Chinese shops in a country where everything is haggled *hint* *hint* *wink* *wink*.

37 minutes ago, esaj said:

Not sure on the max speed, maybe 40km/h or even more?

Think I've seen on here (don't hold me to this) reports from the electro-sport.de dynotest review people saying the GT16 should probably be capped for sub 90kg folk at no more than 45km/h, and for above 90kg, no more than 40km/h, based on the dynotest results. I've personally kept it to 40km/h and under on my GT16, no issues

disclaimer: I'm about 77kg+backpack weight, conservative rider, not much uphill in NYC, and it hasn't reached above 70ºF / 21ºC here yet

Relatively new model, unknown if the mainboard lasts (first batches reportedly had some burnt mainboards after a couple of hundred km).

Think my GT16 was part of a second wave / batch. 750km logged, no burnt board yet :D

And FWIW, current GT16's shipping are a new major revision update addressing many issues AFAIK.

Apparently doesn't have much warnings, so it could cut out (turn off) under you at high speeds..?

Warning beeps are soft, but audible-ish if you're paying attention. After almost 1,000km logged, I don't feel like mine will cut off, as this was a concern of mine initially after all the issues reported (although this could be famous last words? *knock on wood* <_<)

I was wondering if I should get one a while back, but it seems too risky, as very few people in the forums have them yet, so no idea on all the possible issues it still might have.

Yes, very few on the forums have the GT16 (4 users I think?), but there are a wealth of GT16 owners in China and Korea AFAIK. Most all the issues that have been reported have been coming from there.

Again, after almost 2 months riding my GT16, I would put the risks on par with purchasing an 84V Gotway machine.

Overall takeaway I think is to be mindful of your surroundings (i.e. extreme climates) and conditions (battery status, speed, etc.) and ride accordingly; doing so you'll be fine.

P.S. I think the REAL, main issue with the GT16, as reported by the French and Asia EUC shops, is taking this thing apart. I'm having a helluva time just trying to de-pedal this thing right now.

9 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

FWIW most all reported GT16 issues I've heard of have involved heavier riders going uphill in hotter climates. And all board-related, no wires or cable connectors melting reported, so I wouldn't say any more unsafe then all the Gotway 84V issues IMHO.

3 alarms, none can be turned off, but can be all set to the same speed. And yes, reportedly all based on speed, not power. Dunno about cripple mode as I never ride down there.

Main ex-China resource for Rockwheel is AliExpress.

It seems most shops will ship to Israel, although I've heard about the hardships in importing lithium battery devices to there.

Also, the few of us on the forums that have purchased the GT16 seemed to have all purchased via Rockwheel AliExpress store. And remember, these are Chinese shops in a country where everything is haggled *hint* *hint* *wink* *wink*.

Think I've seen on here (don't hold me to this) reports from the electro-sport.de dynotest review people saying the GT16 should probably be capped for sub 90kg folk at no more than 45km/h, and for above 90kg, no more than 40km/h, based on the dynotest results. I've personally kept it to 40km/h and under on my GT16, no issues

disclaimer: I'm about 77kg+backpack weight, conservative rider, not much uphill in NYC, and it hasn't reached above 70ºF / 21ºC here yet

Think my GT16 was part of a second wave / batch. 750km logged, no burnt board yet :D

And FWIW, current GT16's shipping are a new major revision update addressing many issues AFAIK.

Warning beeps are soft, but audible-ish if you're paying attention. After almost 1,000km logged, I don't feel like mine will cut off, as this was a concern of mine initially after all the issues reported (although this could be famous last words? *knock on wood* <_<)

Yes, very few on the forums have the GT16 (4 users I think?), but there are a wealth of GT16 owners in China and Korea AFAIK. Most all the issues that have been reported have been coming from there.

Again, after almost 2 months riding my GT16, I would put the risks on par with purchasing an 84V Gotway machine.

Overall takeaway I think is to be mindful of your surroundings (i.e. extreme climates) and conditions (battery status, speed, etc.) and ride accordingly; doing so you'll be fine.

it mostly hot (in extreme cases  is 35 c in the shadow) and humid (like 80-90% in extreme cases) here 

44 minutes ago, esaj said:

The cheapest I've seen is Green & Fashion Travelling Shop in Aliexpress (there are multiple people who have bought wheels from them in the forums, so the shop seems to be legit). It's been on sale for a while, around 930€ / $1050. Don't know if the prices and/or shipping options are different depending on your country, and if any import rates/taxes or such apply.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Inmotion-V5F-Electric-unicycle-electrombile-motorcycle-one-wheel-balance-car-max-speed-30km-h-life30km-APP/32659281727.html

Nevermind the URL (it says InMotion V5F, but goes to Rockwheel). Not sure on the max speed, maybe 40km/h or even more? Relatively new model, unknown if the mainboard lasts (first batches reportedly had some burnt mainboards after a couple of hundred km). Apparently doesn't have much warnings, so it could cut out (turn off) under you at high speeds..? I was wondering if I should get one a while back, but it seems too risky, as very few people in the forums have them yet, so no idea on all the possible issues it still might have. No idea how warranty works overseas, probably they ship you parts if something breaks? Never tried one, obviously, but personally I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner wheel, but it's your neck ;)

European shops sell the same model (84V / 858Wh) for around 1500-1600€, I think

after i saw the IPS 121+ in 500$, the  ROCKWAY GT16 looks pricy 

4 minutes ago, Noam Elad said:

it mostly hot (in extreme cases  is 35 c in the shadow) and humid (like 80-90% in extreme cases) here 

That IS HOT!

you understand this is a battery device as does not like heat. The batteries deteriorate faster. Make sure you keep away from the heat. 

I believe the GT16 has vents. Possible to add more fans to keep board cool during riding. 

The most chalenging environment is heat. Hopefully it's not an issue. But for sure keep the batteries away from the HOT so they last longer. Heat will deteriorate charging capacity. 

9 minutes ago, Noam Elad said:

The IPS 121 is not comparable. It is much slower. So if tha is ok I agree but you said it had to ver very fast. 

Well unless is the 121+ which claims 30kph. They also claim 20 mile range with a 350wh !battery. NO WAY it can go that far.

My MCM4 14 inch 680wh is rated at 20+ miles and I have achieved that. 

Sobyes the IPS 121+ is a good deal but Not as fast and not higher range. 

Get the specs. Make sure they make sense.

I think a god rule of thumb is 30wh per mile or about 20wh per km. Rounding of generously. 

Others on the forum might have more accurate numbers. 

IPS is a good brand. Because your weather is so hot I think you will need bigger batteries if you want long distance. 

I would take the advertised range and reduce it by 30% because of the heat. That will give you a number that won't disappoint you when running on hot weather. 

6 minutes ago, Noam Elad said:

Yeah, all the fast wheel and/or ones with big batteries are pricey, but I don't know what you consider fast. A couple of years back, 25-30km/h was considered fast, now it's something like 40km/h+. 840Wh was BIG battery back then, now you can get a Gotway Monster with 2400Wh battery packs (but it's probably the most expensive out there, around $2500-3000?).

IPS's have mainly a good reputation, although they don't make any wheels that are considered that fast nowadays or have especially big batteries. If lower speed (like <25-30km/h) and range (<=20km? depends on your weight and terrain) is enough for you, there are more options in the lower price/speed/range categories. Ninebots and IPS have held a fairly good track record, although no wheel is 100% safe and probably every brand has had burned mainboards and issues here and there, some more than others.

I suggest you go read up on the reviews-section and brand-specific subforums about the different wheels, it will give you better idea of them than anyone can explain shortly here.

22 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I don't mean to bash the GT16 or Rockwheel, it seems really nice, but being that it's pretty new and there are so few users yet, we can't really make much claims about its safety/durability yet either? Rockwheel disappeared from the scene for a couple of years after the GR16, which had issues with the motor gearing wearing out and sudden cutout at somewhere around 30+km/h. GT16 might be a great wheel, a total disaster in the longer run, or anything between... ;)  Apparently @Noam Elad hasn't ever ridden a wheel before, so suggesting GT16 seemed a little off to me, but probably it's the cheapest fast wheel out there. But in the end, it's up to him.

11 minutes ago, esaj said:

Yeah, all the fast wheel and/or ones with big batteries are pricey, but I don't know what you consider fast. A couple of years back, 25-30km/h was considered fast, now it's something like 40km/h+. 840Wh was BIG battery back then, now you can get a Gotway Monster with 2400Wh battery packs (but it's probably the most expensive out there, around $2500-3000?).

IPS's have mainly a good reputation, although they don't make any wheels that are considered that fast nowadays or have especially big batteries. If lower speed (like <25-30km/h) and range (<=20km? depends on your weight and terrain) is enough for you, there are more options in the lower price/speed/range categories. Ninebots and IPS have held a fairly good track record, although no wheel is 100% safe and probably every brand has had burned mainboards and issues here and there, some more than others.

I suggest you go read up on the reviews-section and brand-specific subforums about the different wheels, it will give you better idea of them than anyone can explain shortly here.

I don't mean to bash the GT16 or Rockwheel, it seems really nice, but being that it's pretty new and there are so few users yet, we can't really make much claims about its safety/durability yet either? Rockwheel disappeared from the scene for a couple of years after the GR16, which had issues with the motor gearing wearing out and sudden cutout at somewhere around 30+km/h. GT16 might be a great wheel, a total disaster in the longer run, or anything between... ;)  Apparently @Noam Elad hasn't ever ridden a wheel before, so suggesting GT16 seemed a little off to me, but probably it's the cheapest fast wheel out there. But in the end, it's up to him.

Come on @esaj admitted. You are a kingsong lover. Lol. Just kidding. 

4 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Come on @esaj admitted. You are a kingsong lover. Lol. Just kidding. 

:P  Well, I like them, but I don't claim them to be the best thing ever, and depending on personal needs, they might be too slow / heavy / whatever for other people. But one of the reasons I also got the KS16B was that KS16S is so new that I have no idea how it will hold, so having a spare wheel / modding platform seemed like a good idea. KS seems to put a lot of work into the technical (electronics) -side, and be more conservative with the components & maximum speed, but they've had issues with overheating and broken pedals on the older models, even bent axles.

If I wrote a KS16S review now, having had the wheel but for about two weeks, and one of those weeks I was unable to ride due to bad flu and cold weather (dropping below freezing at night at times), it would come out far too positive. I'm still in the "honeymoon period" with the new wheel, so it's hard to be objective about things when you just love riding it. That's why I'm going to take several weeks and probably rack up a good 1000+ km on it before giving my opinion, which even then won't be 100% objective (no human can be totally objective), but at least will give a more realistic view of the good and bad sides than now.

Archived