Create a Custom Silicone Cover For any EUC

Rehab1

I fabricated a custom silicone cover for my wife's new KingSong 14C. This method can be used for any brand EUC. 

Materials:

1) Duraflex Silicone Liner available at Guardmfg.com. There us another brand called Seaflex that is available through  pelsupply.com ($150 per sheet- 32"x 48")

You can cover 2 average sized wheels using 1 one sheet. 

2) Stoner Silicone Mold Release (any mold release such as Pam will work)

3) Large metal cookie sheet to hold the material in the oven.

4) 2 sets of Gloves

The dimensions of silicone sheet I used for the KS 14 was 36cm x 58cm. Thickness of the sheet was 3mm. The material comes in different thicknesses but this size seems to work best.

Do The Following Procedures When Your Wife Is Not Home!:facepalm:

1)Heat the oven between 127-149 degrees C.  

2) Spray both the large cookie sheet and your wheel's plastic surface with the release agent.

3) Place the silicone sheet on the surface of your cookie sheet and put in the oven. Check the material every few minutes for flexibility. Advice: Test a small piece of the material first. 

4) This step is a 2 person job! Wear Gloves! Remove the silicone sheet from the oven and drap it over your wheel while it is lying on one side. Mold the material gently around the contours of the wheels's plastic surface.  

5) Let the material cool for 30 minutes, remove it off of wheel and then trim the edges with scissors.  I use a grease pencil to mark my trim lines especially around any switches or head lights.

6) Place the trimmed silicone shell back on your wheel, turn the wheel over onto the opposite side and repeat the same process. *Be sure to spray the edges of your first silicone cover to prevent it from sticking to the second sheet!

7) When both covers are cooled ( approximately 30 minutes) perform your final trims. Some scissors work better that others when trying to make tight cuts. You will just need to experiment. 

8) For an optimal finish use a Dremal tool or other type of grinder with a smooth grit to smooth the edges of the silicone.

I will be completing the protective shell including the final grinding and riveting the shells together shortly. Good luck!

Inventive and creative - good tip, thanks! I haven't tried it yet but often an obstacle is that these US retailers do not ship to Europe so it becomes a task to find alternative sources.

The custom silicone cover is complete. So easy to apply and take off. My wife will be able to drop her new wheel over and over again without scratching the plastic. I still need to protect the pedals with protective  molding.

Excellent job on producing a really good cover to protect the wheel !  I'm only concerned about the cost, you mentioned $150 dollars for the silicone sheet ?

You can get new shells for about $75 for the ks14c model so maybe it's not win financial wise. These would be great if They can be made at lower cost.

Really impressive what you come up with using your job skills on EUCs! And you have all the nice tools and materials.

How hot do you have to heat the silicone?

Can you do a short comparison of this silicone stuff vs the bandage material you used for the Luffy cover? Do they serve the same purpose, is the bandage stuff maybe harder/stiffer, which would you use if you do it again?

4 hours ago, Adel said:

Excellent job on producing a really good cover to protect the wheel !  I'm only concerned about the cost, you mentioned $150 dollars for the silicone sheet ?

You can get new shells for about $75 for the ks14c model so maybe it's not win financial wise. These would be great if They can be made at lower cost.

You can get two 14 or 16" wheels covered out of one sheet so I guess the price is the same. 

The cover is more of a psychological crutch for my wife than anything. She already dumped her new KS 14C a few minutes ago during our first training session. Her only comment: "Did I hurt it?"

She likes the idea that the cover will protect her new baby from scratches! This way she can just concentrate on learning to ride. :)

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Really impressive what you come up with using your job skills on EUCs! And you have all the nice tools and materials.

How hot do you have to heat the silicone?

Can you do a short comparison of this silicone stuff vs the bandage material you used for the Luffy cover? Do they serve the same purpose, is the bandage stuff maybe harder/stiffer, which would you use if you do it again?

Thanks! I heat both the silicone and the  polyethylene plastic used on the Luffy to about 350 degrees F. (To lazy to convert to C). The silicone was a much easier application since I did not have to create a positive mold first. We just draped the silicone sheet directly over the shells!

I choose the polyethylene plastic for the Luffy because of the colorful hand print pattern I wanted to impregnate into the plastic. The silcone does not accept the transfer of the colors very well.

Both covers serve the same purpose but I will now only use silicone in the future because it saves so much time!

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

You can get two 14 or 16" wheels covered out of one sheet so I guess the price is the same. 

The cover is more of a psychological crutch for my wife than anything. She already dumped her new KS 14C a few minutes ago during our first training session. Her only comment: "Did I hurt it?"

She likes the idea that the cover will protect her new baby from scratches! This way she can just concentrate on learning to ride. :)

Every EUC needs to have accessory like this for fist time riders. Thanks for the info and ideas.

1 hour ago, Adel said:

Every EUC needs to have accessory like this for fist time riders. Thanks for the info and ideas.

The Inmotion V8, V5F, and V3 all have covers available for $49 and $38 USD.

Allen

10 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Allen

Ah... but none fit like the 'Condom Cover'!:P

Ah, I was wondering how you were going to fit the two halves of the shell together.  Velcro eh?  I guess gluing the velcro ...

Anyway it looks simple to use and great for scratches.  

I'd still like some foam on top of it ...

Wish it weren't quite so pricey.  I wonder if a simple roll of shrink wrap could do a lot of the same for far less money.  We used to wrap huge pieces of furniture with it back when I worked for a manufacturer.

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

Ah, I was wondering how you were going to fit the two halves of the shell together.  Velcro eh?  I guess gluing the velcro ...

Anyway it looks simple to use and great for scratches.  

I'd still like some foam on top of it ...

Wish it weren't quite so pricey.  I wonder if a simple roll of shrink wrap could do a lot of the same for far less money.  We used to wrap huge pieces of furniture with it back when I worked for a manufacturer.

The Velcro is a 'self stick' version.

I do like your idea of shrink wrap. I use that stuff on my boats during the winter. That would really be a cheap method! Not sure how many spills you could take before it rips but you could easily replace it.  I had to buy a huge roll of the stuff so 2 neighbors pitched in to split the cost!

The silicone I used is tough and will protect the outer shells from a major spill. Plus the big KINGSONG logo is still visible! :P

On 6/2/2017 at 10:14 AM, Rehab1 said:

The custom silicone cover is complete.

Excellent! I love it! Wouldn't it be nice if EUC makers would begin offering these? It could be a profitable "upselling" revenue stream!

I have a feeling if I tried to make one of these, it would be a disaster!

15 hours ago, abinder3 said:

The aspect I really like about Rehab1's cover is you can see the shell through it.

15 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Yes, I bet they sell high quantities of these. It's an obvious extra revenue source, at a price most people would gladly pay to protect a $1000+ wheel. And they're very nice covers. I am surprised other EUC companies don't offer covers. It's such an obvious need for EUCs, the money is just waiting!

I have used materialscraps.com to order several different plastic/neoprene/rubber/silicone products for various projects. They are awesome and you're able to buy things that consumers normally can't find. You can contact them to ask about the things they sell, the storefront doesn't have pics: https://www.materialscraps.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=NEO

4 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

The aspect I really like about Rehab1's cover is you can see the shell through it.

Yep, the transparency is a nice feature, especially if you have a wheel with a nice LED display like the Inmotion V8.  I have a factory cover for my V8, and it's very nicely fitted, but it's opaque.  My lights want to shine.  :D

5 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

Yes, I bet they sell high quantities of these. It's an obvious extra revenue source, at a price most people would gladly pay to protect a $1000+ wheel. And they're very nice covers. I am surprised other EUC companies don't offer covers. It's such an obvious need for EUCs, the money is just waiting!

Like you, I was quite surprised when I found out this wasn't standard with all EUC companies.  And I agree it could be quite profitable.  

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Sir, do not be cheap when it comes to condom covers. The alternative is much more expensive!

How is spending half the price for the covers designed for the Inmotion wheels being cheap ?

I will be more than happy to buy one of the covers for you and charge you twice the amount since you feel it's being cheap. 

(And yes, I assume you're making a sexual reference to it.  You seem to always try to turn something into some sort of sexual reference. Are you that deprived?)

Archived