Rodeo with KS18?

Dan the Man

Hi all,

I am a beginner, about 10 kilometres on the clock now. Sealed road is ok now, but unsealed roads through the fields still a problem, but I do it anyway.

There I had two bad falls so far, but did not hurt myself from falling but from the KS18 switching off too late.

I fell backwards or sideways probably because I was not confident any more that I would stay up there. So my backside was already on the ground but the feet still on the pedals pointing backwards almost vertically.

The KS18 thought: full acceleration backwards, and so it did. For half a second it was just total chaos, hit my shins with the pedals with full power. Then it beeped wildly and stopped.

I am aware that it is probably not a software error but the sensor for sideways tilt just could not sense it earlier and switch off.

My questions:

Is it so and do I have to live with it?

What sort of shin protection could you recommend?

I am wearing already some sort of military boots, but the were not high enough.

Thanks

Danny

10 km and already off-roading.  You are a brave man, brother.   I have been looking at engineer style biker boots for the same reason.

I am far from ready for off road.  There are uneven parts of the sidewalk that have stopped me.

I started with off-road because I didn't want to scratch up my wheel.

I would say stepping off in either from the or back direction once you lose control can be very dangerous which is why you see so many videos of EUC riders doing the mid-air splits. I learned very quickly that doing the splits is really the only way I could avoid the evil pedals from an errant UEC.

You can catch the EUC one-handed as it goes by you. Make sure you have both feet off the pedals. If you just have one foot still on then the EUC can make a u-turn, snake up your leg to your chest, and just beat the hell out of you.

13 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I started with off-road because I didn't want to scratch up my wheel.

I would say stepping off in either from the or back direction once you lose control can be very dangerous which is why you see so many videos of EUC riders doing the mid-air splits. I learned very quickly that doing the splits is really the only way I could avoid the evil pedals from an errant UEC.

You can catch the EUC one-handed as it goes by you. Make sure you have both feet off the pedals. If you just have one foot still on then the EUC can make a u-turn, snake up your leg to your chest, and just beat the hell out of you.

Thanks, could you explain please what a mid air split is? (English is not my native language ;.)

Archived