I'm specializing in sway bar link changing!  I'm sure there's a niche market for that!  :w00t2:  I changed this one today, and it was particularly stubborn.  I had to get the cutoff wheel on the Dremel to cut things up.

See that bar that goes horizontally?  Well it's not supposed to point that way.  It's supposed to connect to the ball near the bottom underneath.

64WOUyq.jpg

I had to pop the sway bar link off, cut off the plastic inner housing and remove the rubber seal to get to the ball connector.

go8A3xv.jpg

Looks to be rustier than the Titanic!

hcjpBxV.jpg

A few chops, grinds, and cranks with some vicegrips, a ratchet, and a prybar later...

S74Zbgb.jpg

New one installed!  Whew!  I put some anti-seize grease on it to make it easier next time...

tfe7SIG.jpg

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a BlueDriver scantool?  I recently got an issue with an ABS sensor in a wheel hub so I need to replace that.  Rockauto parts are on the way!  :w00t2:  I already have a cheap $10 OBD2 BT reader, but it doesn’t scan all the modules so I only get engine/transmission fault codes.

After searching a bit online, it looks like this BlueDriver BT reader is pretty good at about $100.  I did find what I think is a clone called the Jdiag Platinum for about $39 US / $55 CAD.  It looks to be very similar to the BlueDriver.

https://www.amazon.com/JDiag-Professional-Bluetooth-Enhanced-Diagnostic/dp/B07FT4VHHT

Anyone got one of these?  I think it can read ABS codes and a ton of other stuff.

27 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Anyone have a BlueDriver scantool?  I recently got an issue with an ABS sensor in a wheel hub so I need to replace that.  Rockauto parts are on the way!  :w00t2:  I already have a cheap $10 OBD2 BT reader, but it doesn’t scan all the modules so I only get engine/transmission fault codes.

After searching a bit online, it looks like this BlueDriver BT reader is pretty good at about $100.  I did find what I think is a clone called the Jdiag Faslink M2 for about $39 US / $55 CAD.  It looks to be very similar to the BlueDriver.

https://www.amazon.com/JDiag-Faslink-M2-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B07DLTXGQ8

Anyone got one of these?  I think it can read ABS codes and a ton of other stuff.

I would try and get a WiFi dongle rather than Bluetooth ... or better still, just get one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UJV3E12/ref=as_li_tl (sorry, doesn't do ABS) ... but something similar might. :whistling: 

Try this ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSMJJK9/ref=emc_b_5_t  (does ABS).:w00t2:

I don't like dongles ... many have a subscription you need to renew and its expensive.

Edited by Nic
  • Like 1

Thanks!  I cancelled my order for the Jdiag.  It’s a bit confusing. I thought the M2 could read ABS codes, but it looks like maybe the Platinum version only does that?  Maybe the Foxwell is a better choice.  Oh well, back to researching which is best! 

I saw this video and noticed the ABS codes demo’d so I thought the Jdiag Faslink M2 could do the same thing, but then I saw a different product (Jdiag M2 Platinum) which appeared to be able to and some saw some comments saying the regular M2 didn’t do ABS codes.  Good grief.  Maybe the Bluedriver or Foxwell is the one to get.

A dongle sounds good in theory, but in practice you are at the mercy of compatibility with your smartphone and connection issues (particularly with Bluetooth). A separate all in one unit avoids all these problems and you can easily loan it out to a friend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t have any problems with my cheapo ELM BT OBD2 on my android phone, but yes on the iPhone it was a bit difficult to pair.  I did end up finding a Jdiag Faslink M2 on Amazon that mentioned  advanced scanning of ABS codes so I bought it.  It was only about $33 CAD.  It did read my ABS problem code fine - left front ABS sensor malfunction.

I’ve got a MOOG wheel hub all ready to install tomorrow.  I had to order a large 35 mm deep socket to remove the hub nut.  I’ll try to take some photos during the process.

Okay wow that was a bit harder than I thought!

Brake caliper removed.  Hub nut came off pretty easily with my impact wrench.

v3f2fq.jpg

Thank goodness for my swivel universal joint adapters.  The three bolts holding the wheel hub on are difficult to access from behind.

2lus4tv.jpg

I had to buy a gear puller to get the half shaft spline out of the hub.  Hammering didn’t work to push the spline out.  The puller grabs onto the edges of the hub while you have a socket that you turn with your impact wrench to push against the spline shaft.

2mpdd3k.jpg

ABS cable issue.  Yep over time with turning of the wheels the wire cable gets old, brittle, and tends to break.

2zzkbhj.jpg

Dealer wants to charge $1000 to replace the wheel hub and ABS sensor cable.  Parts from Rockauto.com cost about $120 for the wheel hub, $22 for the cable harness, $5 for three replacement hub bolts, and $8 for a new hub nut.  I read it’s wise to replace these.

2iay36g.jpg

Torquing these to spec is very difficult due to access.  Got it all back together, and it’s working well!  I did have to reuse the old harness clips as I couldn’t press the new clips into the holes.  I wonder if there’s a special tool or secret to those.  The stalk has several fins, but they are a little wider than the hole so pressing them in is not easy.  Gonna have to Google how it’s done...

10oqhqw.jpg

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Okay wow that was a bit harder than I thought!

Brake caliper removed.  Hub nut came off pretty easily with my impact wrench.

v3f2fq.jpg

Thank goodness for my swivel universal joint adapters.  The three bolts holding the wheel hub on are difficult to access from behind.

2lus4tv.jpg

I had to buy a gear puller to get the half shaft spline out of the hub.  Hammering didn’t work to push the spline out.  The puller grabs onto the edges of the hub while you have a socket that you turn with your impact wrench to push against the spline shaft.

2mpdd3k.jpg

ABS cable issue.  Yep over time with turning of the wheels the wire cable gets old, brittle, and tends to break.

2zzkbhj.jpg

Dealer wants to charge $1000 to replace the wheel hub and ABS sensor cable.  Parts from Rockauto.com cost about $120 for the wheel hub, $22 for the cable harness, $5 for three replacement hub bolts, and $8 for a new hub nut.  I read it’s wise to replace these.

2iay36g.jpg

Torquing these to spec is very difficult due to access.  Got it all back together, and it’s working well!  I did have to reuse the old harness clips as I couldn’t press the new clips into the holes.  I wonder if there’s a special tool or secret to those.  The stalk has several fins, but they are a little wider than the hole so pressing them in is not easy.  Gonna have to Google how it’s done...

10oqhqw.jpg

Man. This makes me wish we were neighbors. I could have sat in the driveway with you sliding you beers while we replaced all four air suspension springs on my Mercedes Benz SUV I basically paid 3 large for a repair you could have done :D. Just kidding, but🖕:angry: Mercedes. 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

:lol:  :cheers:  I don’t think I could handle those rats of unusual size scampering about where you live!  I just started with oil changes and moved onto tire changes.  Brake pad replacements followed from there.  I got an electric impact gun which helps a lot.  I do have an air compressor, but the electric so far is more convenient at the moment.

I guess it depends on how interested you are in trying to do things, how much spare time you have, how much you trust yourself in doing things correctly, and how much you like to save money to spend elsewhere.  I see it as a side hobby.  Sometimes you just don’t want the hassle of spending time doing it but other times why not?  The more you do things, the more experience you get plus you build your confidence and are rewarded with a job well done.

I had some time today, but it was -9°C so I ran a small space heater in the garage.  Ever watch Eric the Car Guy?  He’s got some really helpful videos for the DIYer.

There are some non-dealer shops that specialize in MB which can be less expensive, but if it’s a newer model under warranty vehicle sometimes you’re married to the dealer.  Those GLK’s are nice, but pricey to repair I hear.  AMG G 63?  I’d be afraid to lay a socket on one considering the cost!  My cars are way old from the early 2000’s so I can experiment and work on them without too much worry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:lol:  :cheers:  I don’t think I could handle those rats of unusual size scampering about where you live!  I just started with oil changes and moved onto tire changes.  Brake pad replacements followed from there.  I got an electric impact gun which helps a lot.  I do have an air compressor, but the electric so far is more convenient at the moment.

I guess it depends on how interested you are in trying to do things, how much spare time you have, how much you trust yourself in doing things correctly, and how much you like to save money to spend elsewhere.  I see it as a side hobby.  Sometimes you just don’t want the hassle of spending time doing it but other times why not?  The more you do things, the more experience you get plus you build your confidence and are rewarded with a job well done.

I had some time today, but it was -9°C so I ran a small space heater in the garage.  Ever watch Eric the Car Guy?  He’s got some really helpful videos for the DIYer.

There are some non-dealer shops that specialize in MB which can be less expensive, but if it’s a newer model under warranty vehicle sometimes you’re married to the dealer.  Those GLK’s are nice, but pricey to repair I hear.  AMG G 63?  I’d be afraid to lay a socket on one considering the cost!  My cars are way old from the early 2000’s so I can experiment and work on them without too much worry.

You understandably can't stand the "food of the Gods" sized rats,  and I couldn't stand the "7th Circle of Hell" cold. So, alas. I don't think we are destined to be neighbors. Perhaps one day we will get to hang out in a more neutral zone:D👍

I DIY my cars whenever I can. The airbag job required courage, faith, and tools to which I currently have no easy access:D; Although according to the members of the MB forum it's a quite DIYable job, I spent the money. I now need a leveling sensor installed. I will do that job. It's an easy DIY.

Amazing what can be accomplished in a heated garage.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I just spent way more time than I planned on swapping out an oil pressure sensor.

I decided to change the oil pressure sensor since I thought it might be leaking.  I had the low oil pressure light come on a couple of times coming to a stop.  It was easy to unlatch the connector with the tire removed, but apparently there is a tool to help get the sensor unscrewed.   To complicate things a 15 mm bolt was in the way next to it.

I took off the bolt, but man it was still a trick to get the sensor off without the proper tool.  In hindsight, what could have been a two minute job turned out to take about an hour!  I had to get at it with a crescent wrench (adjustable spanner), and work it around a really tight space making turns of about 10° at a time.  :crying:I initially had to use a vice grip to loosen it.  Talk about a pain in the butt!

Installing the new sensor went a little easier, but I’ve learned my lesson to buy the right tool for the job if you have something located in a tight spot!