16 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Notice all the tiny legs have busted off.  Why not just make a simple metal propeller pump that would last forever?  Nope that would make too much sense.

It seems that the lifetime of home appliances and entertainment electronics has plummeted over the past couple of decades. Old freezers could work 20-30 years, if not more, same for CRT-televisions. And if not, they could actually be fixed. Nowadays it seems more like the devices are made to break within 5-10 years (but after the warranty period is over, of course), and hard to fix, so everyone will just keep buying new ones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm already through almost a whole bag of Pineapple Lumps, and I kind of prefer them non-frozen.  They have this chewy, almost bubblegum flavor to them.  They are okay, and definitely something to try if you get a chance.  I think the UK also has them as I ran across some Amazon sellers from there.

Regarding planned obsolescence, I can understand manufacturers wanting to sell more goods and make more profit, but how sustainable can that be?  Do we have unlimited landfills and natural resources to be able to continue this design trend forever?  We tend to bash the Chinese for their quality control and "good enough" design ethics, but there's plenty of examples of purposely built to fail products out there from other countries.  Looking back, I guess I shouldn't bash Bosch too much.  I think I must have bought the dishwasher about 10 years ago, but it did break down every 2 years like clockwork.  The circulating pump was the last thing to give up the ghost so I should be happy about that.

The thing is that my old Maytag lasted 12 years, and I never had to do any maintenance or repairs ever.  I should have replaced the control board on that one when it blew up with dramatic smoke billowing out from it.  This Bosch was purchased based on internet reviews (which I now know probably were skewed artificially or just prematurely written).  They actually designed the machine with an open hole at the base which is covered by a mushroom shaped float on a stick. Guess what happens when water drips calcify in that tube?  The float gets stuck so it leaks from the hole!  To me it just seems a little counter-intuitive to design a hole into a place where you don't want leaks, but hey I'm no design engineer.  Maybe the pump is actually not too bad as it lasted 10 years.  If they would have made it more serviceable I likely wouldn't have complained as much.

It's well known that FIAT stands for "Fix It All the Time" so maybe I should consider my washer a classic collectible car?  :rolleyes:  At the moment though I'm a little tired of finding out that "Omigosh, it's Boschsted again!"

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm already through almost a whole bag of Pineapple Lumps, and I kind of prefer them non-frozen.  They have this chewy, almost bubblegum flavor to them.  They are okay, and definitely something to try if you get a chance.  I think the UK also has them as I ran across some Amazon sellers from there.

Regarding planned obsolescence, I can understand manufacturers wanting to sell more goods and make more profit, but how sustainable can that be?  Do we have unlimited landfills and natural resources to be able to continue this design trend forever?  We tend to bash the Chinese for their quality control and "good enough" design ethics, but there's plenty of examples of purposely built to fail products out there from other countries.  Looking back, I guess I shouldn't bash Bosch too much.  I think I must have bought the dishwasher about 10 years ago, but it did break down every 2 years like clockwork.  The circulating pump was the last thing to give up the ghost so I should be happy about that.

The thing is that my old Maytag lasted 12 years, and I never had to do any maintenance or repairs ever.  I should have replaced the control board on that one when it blew up with dramatic smoke billowing out from it.  This Bosch was purchased based on internet reviews (which I now know probably were skewed artificially or just prematurely written).  They actually designed the machine with an open hole at the base which is covered by a mushroom shaped float on a stick. Guess what happens when water drips calcify in that tube?  The float gets stuck so it leaks from the hole!  To me it just seems a little counter-intuitive to design a hole into a place where you don't want leaks, but hey I'm no design engineer.  Maybe the pump is actually not too bad as it lasted 10 years.  If they would have made it more serviceable I likely wouldn't have complained as much.

It's well known that FIAT stands for "Fix It All the Time" so maybe I should consider my washer a classic collectible car?  :rolleyes:  At the moment though I'm a little tired of finding out that "Omigosh, it's Boschsted again!"

Bosch still makes good tools :)

Anecdotal, but we love our Samsung dish washer.

Planet Earth is a lot bigger than people give it credit for. We'll never run out landfill space or resources. And if those items ever were to become constrained then the prices would increase and products would change. It's currently cheap enough to continue throwing stuff away and buying new.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think part of the issue is that we have a limited lifetime as human beings so we don't tend to see or care that far into the future.  The current generations which are alive think oh well, trash it and just buy a new one.  But what a lot of people don't realize and keep in mind is that the waste we produce is the problem that future generations inherit.  I'm not 100% sure if it's true, but I heard that all the plastic ever manufactured is still in existence today.  Some of it breaks down into small pieces, but most just doesn't biodegrade.  Sure we have recycling plants, but I wonder what percentage ends up in the landfills.

Canada is a huge country, and I'm sure we could stash away a ton of garbage.  It's also fortunate that we live in an era where things are still prosperous with resources, energy, and supplies.  It just seems terribly wasteful to throw away something that is 99% still perfectly functional just due to the fact that someone designed it with a weakness on purpose or accidentally.  Things wear out - that's a given, but I think it's a shame that the mindset is basically who cares, we make more money making crappy products that don't last.  When something could have been made just a little better in order to make it last a decent lifetime, I think it's a missed opportunity lost and quite wasteful.  Maybe it's just that inner fixer part of me that loves to repair things which makes me see how wasteful society has become.  It's easy to forget that all these things add up over time and ignore the consequences until it becomes a huge problem to deal with.

It makes me cringe when I see those Youtubers trashing new iPhones, Xboxes, etc just for entertainment.  It just propagates the wasteful attitudes among the younger generation.

Here's an interesting documentary that shows the bigger picture.  Sorry I couldn't find a complete video so you have to go through each part if you want to watch it.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well this country is ruined...

http://www.togetherwecan.today/no-more-chocolate-fish-jaffas-and-pineapple-lumps-cadbury-factory-in-nz-closing-down/

I'm going to swap out "pineapple lumps" for "tilted kilts" and move to the US of A.

See you in 16 hours America! 

• Upvote 3

On 6/17/2017 at 1:34 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It makes me cringe when I see those Youtubers trashing new iPhones, Xboxes, etc just for entertainment.  It just propagates the wasteful attitudes among the younger generation.

I love Youtube but unfortunately many people, both kids and adults, try to out perform their peers by downloading outrageous videos just for an attention fix! 

On the bright side Youtube can be a very creative, educational media.

In a 2010 Ted Talk on crowd-accelerated innovation, TED Curator Chris Anderson noted that human brains are "uniquely wired" to decode high-bandwidth video, and that unlike written text, face-to-face communication of the type that online videos convey has been "fine-tuned by millions of years of evolution.

"Referring to several YouTube contributors, Anderson asserted that "what Gutenberg's printing press did for writing, online video can now do for face-to-face communication, that it's not far-fetched to say that online video will dramatically advance science, and that video contributors may be launching "the biggest learning cycle in human history."

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I love Youtube but unfortunately many people, both kids and adults, try to out perform their peers by downloading outrageous videos just for an attention fix! 

On the bright side Youtube can be a very creative, educational media.

In a 2010 Ted Talk on crowd-accelerated innovation, TED Curator Chris Anderson noted that human brains are "uniquely wired" to decode high-bandwidth video, and that unlike written text, face-to-face communication of the type that online videos convey has been "fine-tuned by millions of years of evolution.

"Referring to several YouTube contributors, Anderson asserted that "what Gutenberg's printing press did for writing, online video can now do for face-to-face communication, that it's not far-fetched to say that online video will dramatically advance science, and that video contributors may be launching "the biggest learning cycle in human history."

Cool. Kind of like "a picture is worth a thousand words", times 10.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

:blink:  I I'd rather not know.  It's the secret sauce most likely... or maybe chocolate syrup?  There's also another video I saw on the news yesterday showing him dropping a chicken nugget on the ground, picking it up, and plopping it back on the pile to be served up.  :rolleyes:  Found it!  Well on the positive side, it's nice to see an employee be so "hands on" with his job.  :whistling:

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I had to fix my Bosch dishwasher once again.  :rolleyes:  My previous repair of the recirculating pump is actually and surprisingly still working so I am quite happy with that even though I bought a spare pump from eBay that is now sitting around.   What went wrong with the dishwasher is that after a wash cycle there is water left at the bottom of the dishwasher, and the CLEAN light comes on without the SANITIZED light.

Apparently this is very common, and I've tackled it on more than one previous occasion.  Before, I simply unstuck the mushroom float that triggers the microswitch for the drain pump,  but that seemed fine this time.  I also took apart the drain hose to look for clogs.  No problems there.  I also checked the drain Y connector for obstructions.  Nada.  I ran a packet of LemiShine machine cleaner for four hours.  Nope still no worky.

I ended up powering down the dishwasher at the breaker, turning the drain pump clockwise a quarter turn to release it (with a small pan to catch water), and I pulled the pump out.  The motor plug disconnects easily after pushing clear the latch.  Upon close inspection I found clumps of hair and fibre wrapped tightly around the metal support arm under the impeller!  After taking some fine manicure scissors and small screwdrivers to the clump, it looks new again.  Reinstall was a cinch.

I think I have finally earned my Bosch Dishwasher maintenance diploma after the many, many times I have had to repair it!

611332.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I tried some romanesco brocoli for the first time today!  It is the nicest looking vegetable I've ever seen as it resembles a computer generated fractal.  It's more cauliflower in texture and is a very cool looking, alien-like veggie!  Nature takes some of the most interesting shapes.  It would be neat to see a time lapse of it growing.

349915_img3361.jpg

552668_img3362.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

as it resembles a computer generated fractal.

That was my first thought: That's not a vegetable, it's a 3D Mandelbrot figure. Its certainly beautiful though.

P.S. I once wrote a programme for a 1980's pocket computer that would drive a Tandy 4 colour pen plotter to draw Mandelbrot figures. It did one pixel every 90 seconds or so and took several days to draw a complete picture on a 5" wide paper roll. I did it to prove to myself I'd finally got the hang of complex numbers - I don't think I've yet got the hang of efficient programming ?.

• Like 1

:whistling: Was it a TRS-80 pocket computer (PC2) with the mini-pen plotter?  I think I still have mine in the basement somewhere...

http://oldcomputers.net/trs80pc1.html

http://oldcomputers.net/trs80pc2.html

I use to load up programs using my Sony Walkman and print out biorhythm horoscope plots for friends who thought the printer was the coolest thing.  I also used it to compute results for analytical chemistry labs using a BASIC program I wrote for it.  It came in very handy!  Those were the days.  :lol:

They still archive some programs for it.

http://www.pc1500.com/

Does this look familiar?  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVkkii15TLo

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Well that wasn’t so difficult!  Even with a bum arm I did it. :clap3:  Rear sway bar links changedomatic!  Can’t believe they charge $440 to do that.

2Lgcy.jpeg

Old one

2LgcA.jpeg

New and old.  The old nuts looked beefier so I used them instead.

2LgcB.jpeg

On 6/1/2017 at 5:41 AM, Rehab1 said:

Trump would use the term HUGE!:thumbup:

Keep soaking with the PB blaster but you also need a increase the heat.  :furious:  A propane torch will not be enough. You need an oxygen acetylene torch so you can get the bolt red hot. The caliper is going to act like a 'huge' heat sink and absorb most of your heat away from the bolt.

Do you have a pneumatic gun or hand impact driver! Either one should work to loosen the bolt. If you stripped the head of the bolt and it is SAE size try a metric socket or visa versa. You will need to pound the socket onto the head essentially creating  your own custom fit!

If all else fails bring it to my garage!:)

I wonder if Trump would put more tariffs on "Giiina" if he finds out about the V10 fires.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fearedbliss said:

I wonder if Trump would put more tariffs on "Giiina" if he finds out about the V10 fires.

OH wow.. a quote from 6/1/17. I have a hard time remembering what I posted yesterday. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Wait, I can't remember... What happened yesterday?

The commencement of your EUC business will always be remembered! Hopefully the venture is going well. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

The commencement of your EUC business will always be remembered! Hopefully the venture is going well. 

Well, I"m still smiling... And still married...   :D

Actually, business is better than expected - and we're just coming into summer!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1