Still waiting on those Pineapple Lumps!  What a bizarre name... they can't get here soon enough!  Com'on NZ post move it move it!  :w00t2:

Yeah I hope those universal joints can withstand some torque.  I can sort of imagine the pins in them busting or something.  I'd get a tool box, but then I'd need a spot to place it!  I think it's time to move to a larger house as I just don't have any space left for stuff.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'd get a tool box, but then I'd need a spot to place it!  I think it's time to move to a larger house as I just don't have any space left for stuff.

That Stanley box could be used as an elevated stand for the Flame!:furious:

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2017 at 2:17 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Anyone here have any tips on loosening caliper bolts?

You need a heat source to melt the Loctite.  I've had to use the big red wrench ( a cutting torch set at lower heat) to remove caliper bolts on the rear brakes a couple times.  Why the rear brake caliper bolts are harder to remove I can only guess.  But it is kind of scary using a flame near the gas tank.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2017 at 2:27 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm not sure whether we have the Carl's Jr. burgers numbered up here.  I went through the drive-through and just picked one that looked pretty good on the picture.  It was difficult to choose since there were quite a few to select from!  In hindsight I should have ate in as it was more a two handed job.  I have to remember not to order the large sizing next time!  I couldn't even touch the fries - after the burger I was full.  Here's a photo from an Edmonton store:

348s.jpg

With my car, the first bolt was 10 mm, but the second was smaller.  I tried a 9 mm, but I don't think it was deep enough to reach down.  I had a 3/8" impact socket on a small extension which was the only one that worked, but getting my electric impact wrench close enough was a bugger.  I might have to look at getting some more extensions, deeper sockets, and other tools as without the correct one it makes a small job into a much more difficult procedure.

Carl's Jr. should open up a store up in those mountains as I'm sure it would have come in handy!

Just noticed the free Poutine upgrade!:lol:  You Canadians seem to be a little too lucky up there.  Except for the very cold winters.

• Upvote 3

Wow that was actually pretty fast!  Thanks NZ Post!  Guess who popped their Pineapple Lumps cherry?  :dribble: @The Fat Unicyclist

980344_img2687_460x345.jpg

They are actually pretty good!  It was a little less pineapple flavor than what I was expecting and more like a faint pineapple bubblegum/soft chew sort of candy.  When you put them in the freezer they change consistency quite quickly.  A couple of minutes makes them into a brittle sponge toffee sort of consistency.  I got the slightly larger bags to try out.  Not bad not bad.  Not mindblowing, but pretty good.   I wish the pineapple flavor was a little more intense.

Edit:  Oh man I feel my blood sugar levels starting to rise:w00t2:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wow that was actually pretty fast!  Thanks NZ Post!  Guess who popped their Pineapple Lumps cherry?  :dribble: @The Fat Unicyclist

980344_img2687_460x345.jpg

They are actually pretty good!  It was a little less pineapple flavor than what I was expecting and more like a faint pineapple bubblegum/soft chew sort of candy.  When you put them in the freezer they change consistency quite quickly.  A couple of minutes makes them into a brittle sponge toffee sort of consistency.  I got the slightly larger bags to try out.  Not bad not bad.  Not mindblowing, but pretty good.   I wish the pineapple flavor was a little more intense.

Edit:  Oh man I feel my blood sugar levels starting to rise:w00t2:

Im glad we could oblige... And I'm glad that you like them! 

I'm coming to Los Angeles in a few weeks... Would you like me to post you a couple of bottles of L&P from there too? 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the offer!  :wub:   I think I should probably limit my sugar intake though.  How are you not diabetic?  :wacko:  Those chocolate covered Pineapple Lumps are pure marshmellowfied sugar!

So are you hitting Marty up for a group rde if you have some time?  We gotta see you in action rolling around!

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I dilute the sugar with vast amounts of alcohol... Problem solved! 

As for California... I've posted on the Southern CA thread in the local group section, so we'll see what happens - it's funny, I pass through LA 2-4 times a year, but this will be the first time I can wander and do what I want. So I'm hoping someone will be able to loan / rent me a wheel - it would be awesome to roll along Venice Beach, or the waterfront down in San Diego! 

I'm also hoping that I might get to see (or test) am MSuper v3, a KS16 or a Monster... I'm thinking I need to get something bigger like that, but there is nowhere in Australia / New Zealand (that I know of) where I could see any of these. 

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm still thinking about which model (and the current Gotway issues, of course) I even thought about buying a wheel to use while there - but then I need to work out how to ship it home! 

I have even asked @Jason McNeil about shipping directly to New Zealand, but he tells me the cost is prohibitive - I probably should ask more questions though, as right now my alternatives are slim...

I saw your other post but didn't get a chance to reply. It's kind of far in future but I think we can plan a group ride for you. I'm assuming that you will have a rental car and will be able to commute to a meetup spot. I could probably loan you a wheel during the ride, but not beyond that. We don't do group rides along the beach currently, it's mostly mountain stuff. What's your comfort level in riding conditions, distances, etc?

We don't exactly have EUC stores here either. So the only way to try a wheel is to join a group ride and see who shows up with what. Most people ride one wheel and don't have extras to loan out. I'm kind of an exception :blink1:

• Upvote 3

Hey Marty, thanks for stepping up and offering a wheel to ride.   Sorry, I didn't mean to put you on the spot there.  It's just the enabler in me trying to find solutions!  Plus the 165 g of Pineapple Lumps coursing through my bloodstream.  Darn NZer has me hopped up on sugar.

Maybe TFU can also check with @myfunwheel to see if he has any rentals as I believe he is in the LA area?  Or maybe if TFU, you decide to purchase a wheel from him, Dion can help you store it somewhere for when you visit?  There must be long term storage lockers in LA as well for rent?

If lending out a wheel, maybe placing a deposit for the replacement cost would be in order plus also a signed disclaimer agreement is a good idea.  I mean, if I were to lend out my Precious to a 265 lb stranger who drinks, I'd want some assurances any damage and liabilities would be covered!

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Hey Marty, thanks for stepping up and offering a wheel to ride.   Sorry, I didn't mean to put you on the spot there.  It's just the enabler in me trying to find solutions!  Plus the 165 g of Pineapple Lumps coursing through my bloodstream.  Darn NZer has me hopped up on sugar.

Maybe TFU can also check with @myfunwheel to see if he has any rentals as I believe he is in the LA area?  Or maybe if TFU, you decide to purchase a wheel from him, Dion can help you store it somewhere for when you visit?  There must be long term storage lockers in LA as well for rent?

If lending out a wheel, maybe placing a deposit for the replacement cost would be in order plus also a signed disclaimer agreement is a good idea.  I mean, if I were to lend out my Precious to a 265 lb stranger who drinks, I'd want some assurances any damage and liabilities would be covered!

Dion is in Northern California. Southern California is a desert when it comes to EUC dealers. Somehow I don't think the EUC rentals will ever work considering the potential damage that can occur with a single misstep when mounting the wheel, yet alone riding it.

265 pounds? Yikes, that does make me a little concerned about undo stresses on my poor wheels. Hmmmm...

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 2

Ok @The Fat Unicyclist time to go on that Atkins crash diet plan to get down to 165 lbs before you visit!  New username shall be: The Less Fat Unicyclist!  I sense an offer slipping off the table...

It's too bad these wheels aren't allowed on planes.  It would open up sooooo many possibilities and make life that much nicer.

When I saw Brentwood, I thought it was in the one in LA, but Myfunwheel is  actually closer to San Francisco.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

For the record, I have never been 265lb. So let's start by dialling back to the 240lb mark to save Marty any unnecessary stress...

Very funny - poor @Hunka Hunka Burning Love :w00t2:

And yes, I will have a rental car, so getting somewhere is not an issue - though as my plans are coming together it seems I will only be free from midday Sunday through to Tuesday afternoon. But if that does work for anyone, I'm definitely keen. 

Let's firm things up as the date approaches. I'm working so based on your free days I can only do a ride Sunday.

If something does come together, don't plan anything too adventurous - I am somewhat "range challenged" (as batteries don't seem to like me) and being on a borrowed wheel won't help me relax too much either.

The beach is rather far from my home. An evening ride at Griffith Park would be best for me. Is 15 miles and moderate hills too adventurous? Remind me what you currently ride.

For me though, even a shorter trip to your local Tilted Kilt (first round on me) would be fantastic - I don't get much opportunity to ride with others back here. And I'm also keen hear rider comments on thier wheels (and actually see the wheels too) as I now need to decide on my next upgrade...

• Upvote 1

Hi @Marty Backe - currently I'm on an IPS Lhotz, which (because of the smaller battery size) has limited my ride range. But I think I'm up for a 15 mile ride (even considering the stress of it not being my wheel)... But don't go out of your way - even a couple of urban miles would be good - it's quite a solitary hobby where I am. 

Hills are fine too - where I live, what we call hills, you Americans call mountains. 

But I'm good with whatever works out - these few days in LA are my zen moments before a gruelling expedition. So anything and everything is good - especially if it includes a Tilted Kilt franchise!

NB: @Hunka Hunka Burning Love - do not Google "Tilted Kilt." If you do, you may never come back to reality...

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Screw @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, what about me :dribble:   Now I get it, Tilted Kilt is the New Zealand equivalent of Hooters. Wow.

EDIT: I guess it's not New Zealand. They're all over here. Why have I never heard of this place (probably because I'm married).

kylie.png

Of course, I only visit for the exceptional food and broad selection of refreshments... 

• Upvote 2

On 2017-06-15 at 9:32 PM, Marty Backe said:

Screw @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, what about me :dribble: 

Heeeeey!  :efefd0f676:  <checks flights to LA in a couple of weeks>  You got another spare wheel?  I only weigh 167 lbs so no worries about wheel damage!  Let me sign those waivers and put my deposit down!!!!  :w00t2:

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Heeeeey!  :efefd0f676:  <checks flights to LA in a couple of weeks>  You got another spare wheel?  I only weight 167 lbs so no worries about wheel damage!  Let me sign those waivers and put my deposit down!!!!  :w00t2:

Now that I'm seeing that there's a couple of these Tilted Kilts near me, we may end the ride at one :D @The Fat Unicyclist can show me around. You're welcome to join us too  @Hunka Hunka Burning Love :thumbup:

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Now that I'm seeing that there's a couple of these Tilted Kilts near me, we may end the ride at one :D @The Fat Unicyclist can show me around. You're welcome to join us too  @Hunka Hunka Burning Love :thumbup:

I'm keen... Allow some extra time though - the franchises I have visited have had quite a few sights to see. Though, of course, I was only there for the food and beverage...

I took my father-in-law (who now lives in Thousand Oaks) to one... He liked the food so much he turned purple - I thought it was going to kill him. Now it is a standing appointment, every time I visit...  :whistling:

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I'm keen... Allow some extra time though - the franchises I have visited have had quite a few sights to see. Though, of course, I was only there for the food and beverage...

I took my father-in-law (who now lives in Thousand Oaks) to one... He liked the food so much he turned purple - I thought it was going to kill him. Now it is a standing appointment, every time I visit...  :whistling:

So funny. I think that there's some good trail riding not too far from one. I'm going to check it (the trail) out soon. This should be a good excuse to get a lot more local riders to join us that day :D

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So funny. I think that there's some good trail riding not too far from one. I'm going to check it (the trail) out soon. This should be a good excuse to get a lot more local riders to join us that day :D

"Remember that day that 287 riders turned up just for a ride and a beverage!"

:roflmao:

• Upvote 2

Here's a cherry I've popped way too many times.  My frickin' Bosch piece of crap dishwasher!!!   It seemed like such a good deal a few years ago, but gosh darn it German engineering is not so good.  I have had to fix it countless of times.  So many that I know every component by heart!  It leaks (fixed), the soap door doesn't open (fixed), water doesn't drain (fixed), stops prematurely (fixed) and now it quit washing.

962528_img2693.jpg

This is the water pump.  It's not really designed to be opened up easily, but I did it anyways.  That grey thing is the impeller which has these tiny plastic legs that apparently clip into the thin fibreglassy nipple spinny swiss cheesy thingy to drive water through the spray arms.  Notice all the tiny legs have busted off.  Why not just make a simple metal propeller pump that would last forever?  Nope that would make too much sense.

So basically I JB Kwikwelded the impeller back on praying it will stick for a little while until I get a replacement pump.  They also use these stupid plastic clips that are impossible to reassemble as you have to press fit the shell back together.  Ugh why not just incorporate four bolts with nuts to fasten it all together?  That would be too easy.  Luckily I managed to reassemble things, and it all works again!  Yippee!  When it works, it works pretty good, but when it dies it is a pain to fix all the time.  I'm glad that I can do it myself rather than call the repair guy in.

I have to add appliance repairman to my signature...  Bosch.  Is that German for "Busted?"

• Upvote 3