Custom Engine Sound Fun with the KS14C

Marty Backe

Yes, that is exactly right.  No warning beeps of any kind.  It only bucks if I lean if forward or back.  When straight up it is fine.  No, the tire is not locked.

Of course, re calibration was just a pipe dream.   

Time to take the wife out for dinner and then it is surgery time. 

1 hour ago, HeavyGoing said:

250 lbs on serious hills. 

I did my first ride testing out the hills in my neighborhood.  I decided I would ride down to the local mall, have a smoothy, get a haircut.  Since I live at the top of a canyon, it was all down hill for the journey to the mall.  Felt good to be able to control the speed.  Made it over the small bumps in the sidewalk and road and was even able to go over the speed bumps in the mall.   I was feeling pretty good about being able to mount without a rail or lamp post even if it was sometimes with my arms flailing around like a windmill. 

On the return trip, I am cruising at about 9 miles an hour up a hill that emaciated bicyclist in spandex usually are pushing their bikes up.  Just a bit over a week into the sport and I am feeling like I am all that and a bag of chips.   I make a turn into the neighborhood and I am faced with a decision.  Do I take the long route or do I attack the big hill?

Thinking to myself.  No guts, no glory.   I make a left turn. 

Now as it turns out this was the suburban equivalent of the hillbilly  -  "Hey Earl,  watch this."  

I am going up the hill.   Leaning, not really sure if I should be able to get more speed or not.  Leaning a bit more..   I start to wonder is I should not be going from side to side or something when........

Thwack.  The wheel stops and I don't.  Of course, I was going so slow that I was able to land on my hands. Just scratches, not even blood.  (To add insult to injury, when I got home the wrist guards, I ordered from Amazon were waiting for me in a box at the door.)

But now my poor MSuper seems to have a problem.  When I turn it on it makes a kind of grinding noise and it bucks back and forth.  Everything is smooth if I wheel it around without power but once I power up it kinda bucks back and forth like a bronco.   I had to push it up the rest of the hill and back home.   Now whenever I turn it on it makes this noise and bucks.    It was not a particularly hard fall so I am wondering if there is some kind of reset I might try.  I am going to try going through the calibration to see if that helps.

Wow, so sorry to hear about your problems, particularly after everything was going so well. Man, you must have some steep hills (could you PM me the location you were riding - out of curiosity I want to look at it in Google Earth to see how steep the hill is was relative to the steep hills that I ride).

Those symptoms that you describe sound like a loose axle nut, I can't imagine how your riding could cause this.

As @meepmeepmayer suggests, time to open the cover and take a look.

When you lay the wheel on it's side, normally you should be able to turn it on. The wheel won't attempt to spin, but the wheel will turn on. Before opening the shell do this, and assuming that it turns on, connect to the wheel and see if you can read the battery level, etc. If that all works than most likely the control board is OK.

Then it's going to be a matter of opening the side panel in see if any wires came loose. While under heavy load (no pun intended ;)) maybe one or more motor wires got hot enough the it came out of the connector or shorted to another wire.

20 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

New Zealand strikes me as such a low density place to live I'me surprised you guys don't have more freedoms to do what you want. Do you have access to lots of trails that you can ride?

Low density means low police, but they probably hit you with larger fines if they catch you.:unsure:

1 hour ago, HeavyGoing said:

I am going up the hill.   Leaning, not really sure if I should be able to get more speed or not.  Leaning a bit more..   I start to wonder is I should not be going from side to side or something when........

Thwack.  The wheel stops and I don't.

I always try to hold back from what I think will max out the wheel. Admittedly, erroneous judgment is very possible, so I'm thankful it hasn't happened to me yet. One thing I do on hills is allow the wheel to slow down. I don't try to make it continue going the same speed as before the hill. Another thing I do is if it seems to be reaching its limit, I stop and get off. It's been months since I've needed to do this, thanks to the great hill performance of my IPS 121 and 191 Lhotz. Another thing I do is use momentum. I have found that just a little momentum going into a hill provides a big help.

58 minutes ago, HeavyGoing said:

Yes, that is exactly right.  No warning beeps of any kind.  It only bucks if I lean if forward or back.  When straight up it is fine.  No, the tire is not locked.

Of course, re calibration was just a pipe dream.   

Time to take the wife out for dinner and then it is surgery time. 

Where did you buy the wheel?  You just got it, is it still in warranty?  Hopefully, it is just a minor issue.  I faced a similar situation today, but it was a short climb, I was having to lean forward more than usual, going very slowly, wondering if I should start zigzagging to reduce the strain on the wheel, wondering if it would just give up and cutout, but whew!  It made it, but seemed like just barely.  I almost got off the wheel and walked it up the steep spot.  There seems to be a sweet spot, right in the middle of the wheels max speed, where hill climbing is a lot easier, but when it gets too steep, and the wheel slows way down, it doesn't feel as strong.

6 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

I have found that just a little momentum going into a hill provides a big help.

I agree completely, if you can hit a hill with at least 5mph, it seems the wheel performs better.  And I also allow the wheel to slow down on steep slopes, and get off if it seems to be reaching it's limit.

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

Low density means low police, but they probably hit you with larger fines if they catch you.:unsure:

I happen to work next door to the local police station, and deliberately ride past it every day - not as a taunt, but to ensure maximum awareness. Even though it is a gray area here, provided I'm sensible, they don't really care. 

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

(could you PM me the location you were riding - out of curiosity I want to look at it in Google Earth to see how steep the hill is was relative to the steep hills that I ride).

I'm interested too... I have just about decided on an MSuper V3s+ for my next wheel - but as a heavy rider living in a hilly area, this type of issue is significant... 

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I happen to work next door to the local police station, and deliberately ride past it every day - not as a taunt, but to ensure maximum awareness. Even though it is a gray area here, provided I'm sensible, they don't really care. 

I'm interested too... I have just about decided on an MSuper V3s+ for my next wheel - but as a heavy rider living in a hilly area, this type of issue is significant... 

Keep in mind that @HeavyGoing's wheel is the first generation V3. If you were to buy a new V3s+, Gotway has gone with totally different connectors to prevent this from happening.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Keep in mind that @HeavyGoing's wheel is the first generation V3. If you were to buy a new V3s+, Gotway has gone with totally different connectors to prevent this from happening.

Thanks Marty. What version did you get? 

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks Marty. What version did you get? 

I bought the 1600wh version (V3s+).  Hopefully I'll take possession in two weeks.

12 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

To return to the theme, I need to say Marty in California is the guilty one that there is now more noise in Austria. :)

If you hear something like this:  wheel1.wav  or that: wheel2.wav  then maybe I'm approaching you on my wheel. :lol:

Those are funny :)  I think I'd be using the second one.

Archived