I got robbed on my EUC !!

Pingouin

@Pingouin, glad you made it through safely. Material belongings, money and your most expensive possession will never be valued more than your health.

Also thanks for sharing. I do feel safe in my country and going abroad I always take with me this feeling of safety. My GF continuously warns me about staying out late in her home country even though I never figured out these warnings and always feel safe. The thing is I didn't grow in their culture and I have to accept foreign cultures and foreign lands as they describe them. Long story short, everyone should always accept a local's advice no matter how it looks or feels like.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pingouin said:

I keep the idea of having some maze one me, at least it makes me feel safer.

Cool idea, they can't attack you if they can't find you because they get lost and confused or stuck in a loop. Though I'm wondering about the logistics of having a maze around you at all times.

:P Sorry for the dumb comment it's too hot here :D

6 hours ago, Hatchet said:

Conservatives are used to being censored by leftists, it's all the left has, they lost the war of ideas decades ago. Now it's about censoring and destroying people who don't toe the line. 

That would be a lot easier if these "doctors and lawyers" the gov't brought in would stop slaughtering people, and attacking EUC rifders.

The terms left and right themselves have long since faded into nonsense anyway.  The right hasn't been conservative since Eisenhower and the left has split into a thousand shards, most of which don't support organized labor and much of the left's natural constituency in the working and middle classes, and some of which -- the noisiest of the bunch -- have turned to the completely bizarre, like identity politics, in which the left is attacking itself as much as anyone else and is devouring its own party alive and destroying its reputation across the globe.  It does both the left and right a disservice to refer to them as if they were coherent movements that thought and behaved in a unified manner.  Or that every action from a part of it is a representative of the whole of it.  They're both a mess.

6 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Yes, I am not a very tough guy, I'm not very tall or big at least from the outside appearence this shouldn't affect the respect towards myself (plus I've done several years of combat sports but I never use it) and no I don't take a posture that would get more people to attack me, but the world is what it is, I can only accept it. I keep the idea of having some maze one me, at least it makes me feel safer.

Actually I commend you both for training and for having the common sense not to rely on your training to do unrealistic things for you.  

Even for a very highly trained person, the best option is almost universally to simply avoid the fight.  

And confronting multiple people, the advantage can effectively disappear anyway.

On 6/3/2017 at 6:28 PM, Dingfelder said:

In almost ten years here, I have yet to see a coyote with my own eyes despite how many we have around us.

I've seen three, two or maybe the same one twice near a wooded area at the edge of town, the other one at a lake park with houses next to it, all three times it was middle of the day.  They are like leaner grey versions of medium sized dogs, with a wildlife look to them.  Sadly, the area at the edge of town has been cleared and developed with new houses, so I haven't seen one for a couple of years.  That's okay, though, they're not something I would want to get too close to, especially if they were desperate or sick.  Seen a bobcat two different days on a riverside park bike/hike trail, they're pretty neat, I was riding my mountain bike and saw one walking towards me on the concrete trail, i stopped for a moment wondering if it was safe to ride towards and past it, decided to slowly ride by so as not to frighten it and maybe cause an aggressive response, it just kept walking and looked at me as I rode by

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

I've seen three, two or maybe the same one twice near a wooded area at the edge of town, the other one at a lake park with houses next to it, all three times it was middle of the day.  They are like leaner grey versions of medium sized dogs, with a wildlife look to them.  Sadly, the area at the edge of town has been cleared and developed with new houses, so I haven't seen one for a couple of years.  That's okay, though, they're not something I would want to get too close to, especially if they were desperate or sick.

Yeah, it's just one more thing that can go after our domestic pets and spread diseases ... and most terrifyingly, even after babies left unattended for a moment in the yard.  What a nightmare, but It has happened.  

I remember reading that they are in denser concentrations in Los Angeles than they are in the wild, and that pets are a primary food source.  That amazed me, as did a picture in the L.A. Times of a couple of coyotes casually strolling through a crosswalk in a busy area of Sunset Boulevard at night, with people nearby.  That had been unthinkable to me before.  But apparently the coyote is an extremely successful species and there may be a lot more of them around -- and closer at hand -- than we tend to think.

I know I worry every single time our dogs charge up into the wood behind our house.  

4 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I know I worry every single time our dogs charge up into the wood behind our house.  

As large as your dogs are, they would probably give coyotes second thoughts, they are probably not going to be attacked.  I read that coyotes mainly go for smaller pets, like cats.

58 minutes ago, steve454 said:

As large as your dogs are, they would probably give coyotes second thoughts, they are probably not going to be attacked.  I read that coyotes mainly go for smaller pets, like cats.

Part of my worry is not that the coyotes would seek them out, but that they would seek out the coyotes ... and I bet the coyotes would not take well to that.  

I love my dogs and, being Australian shepherds, they are very smart, but they don't know anything about the real wild world and its dangers.   They don't know how to fight.  They don't know anything about real danger.  They see wild animals like deer -- who can also kill dogs -- and they charge them, barking like mad.  I think a coyote's only reasonable response would be to behave as if it's in a life and death situation.  And they roam in packs here.

I don't see it being anything but bad news if they come into contact with each other.

4 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Part of my worry is not that the coyotes would seek them out, but that they would seek out the coyotes ... and I bet the coyotes would not take well to that.  

I love my dogs and, being Australian shepherds, they are very smart, but they don't know anything about the real wild world and its dangers.   They don't know how to fight.  They don't know anything about real danger.  They see wild animals like deer -- who can also kill dogs -- and they charge them, barking like mad.  I think a coyote's only reasonable response would be to behave as if it's in a life and death situation.  And they roam in packs here.

I don't see it being anything but bad news if they come into contact with each other.

Good point, I didn't think about that, but I still think the one time they came in contact, the coyotes would not attack, but threaten, and your dogs would avoid them in the future.  At least that's my hope.  Maybe put those collars with the spikes on them would protect the dog's necks enough to let them get away that first time,  And look at it this way, the coyotes are already aware of your dogs, and how big they are, and probably avoid your house already.  They are not looking for trouble, they just want to survive.

Archived