I got robbed on my EUC !!

Pingouin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ping, so sorry that happened to you.  I think you handled yourself well, though.  You and your stun gun wouldn't have stood a chance against 6 blade-wielding attackers.  In my revenge fantasy, one of your attackers pulls your wheel out of the bushes, jumps on, tries to speed away, and promptly cracks his head open :furious:

As long as the wheel is ok!!! :P

In seriousness, too bad this happened to you (again!) Didn't know France was that dangerous... or at least your area.

Thing with speeding away is, even on a fast wheel, easy to miss an obstacle in the stress and fall.

Install these on the euc, facing backwards:

1. Stronger flash light to blind attackers. Better if it blinks at some frequencies. We can modify the rear LEDs to do this.

2. Pepper spray to stop attacking dogs. I imagine that when attackers chase you, they need to breath hard. Put some spice in the air will slow them down.

Faster EUCs will help only if you can ride at the speed > 36km/hr safely.

I am imaging a KungFu movie in which the hero is riding an EUC, with bunch of badies chasing after. The hero just make a fart made from blue cheese, the badies fainted after inhaled the organic gas. The hero then ride backwards to help the badies to part their evil doing parts from their enablers 

Actually I wouldn't count on a faster wheel saving me. If I had a faster wheel when someone tries to jump me, chances are I would fall, or one of them carry a gun. Sure I would try to speed away anyway, but the only thing you can do is be aware of where not to go and when not to go there.

I'm in the camp of not being sure a faster wheel would save me in this situation.  On one hand I think, if I can out run the attacker I have a good chance.  But on the other hand I am aware of the limited acceleration of EUCs, even the big ones, due to the nature of balancing on one wheel.  And most of the time the attackers will be out in front and I will be going towards them, rather than appearing behind me.  Speed will not help much if they decide to block my path or kick me off.  It may actually cause much worse injuries and leave me too wounded to defend myself.

I get really angry hearing about people on this forum being attacked, robbed, threatened and even just harassed and mocked on their unicycles.  Too many scumbags out there think that they can get away with this.  I have a dream in my head of being that one guy, you know, the guy they should never have picked to mess with, the guy who goes absolutely ape and leaves them all with broken legs and afraid to leave the house for the rest of their lives.  Someone has to teach these people a lesson.  But in reality I am not that guy.  I'm not built like Dwayne The Rock Johnson and I don't have 20 years experience in close combat self defence.

France is a beautiful country and it's one of those places I really want to love, but on my visits there I have not really enjoyed it.  I did not feel safe at night, the police were rude and unhelpful when I needed them and the locals in Paris were arrogant and unhelpful.  That is just my own truthful but limited experience after three short trips through France, so I hope I don't offend anyone.  And this was many years before the current political and terrorist situation in France, so I would imagine things may be worse now as more immigrants come in and French natives grow more suspicious of strangers and fear is high.  

Thanks for all of your support guys, it really matters to me, that we as a community that shares a same passion, stick together.

@Marty Backe & @RooMiniPro About the faster EUC, I see two major advantages : I feel safer on them, even though they don't accelerate much faster than slower EUC, and they won't cut as easily when passing the 25kph mark (that's what happened to my MCM4, I didn't hear the final alarm and the motor just wasn't powerful enough to sustain me). I guess that any EUC capable of riding faster than 25kph is "safe" for these situations because "normal" humans don't run faster than 25kph.

I don't see a lock helping me in this situation though :D

France is a nice country for the most part (for those wondering I live in Eastern France not Paris) but it's getting harder to feel safe during night time, and I've been proven to be right on several occasion now.

I'm not sure rather having an EUC was the reason for this agression, if I was just walking maybe they would have done the same, not sure about this...

9 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Thanks for all of your support guys, it really matters to me, that we as a community that shares a same passion, stick together.

@Marty Backe & @RooMiniPro About the faster EUC, I see two major advantages : I feel safer on them, even though they don't accelerate much faster than slower EUC, and they won't cut as easily when passing the 25kph mark (that's what happened to my MCM4, I didn't hear the final alarm and the motor just wasn't powerful enough to sustain me). I guess that any EUC capable of riding faster than 25kph is "safe" for these situations because "normal" humans don't run faster than 25kph.

I don't see a lock helping me in this situation though :D

France is a nice country for the most part (for those wondering I live in Eastern France not Paris) but it's getting harder to feel safe during night time, and I've been proven to be right on several occasion now.

I'm not sure rather having an EUC was the reason for this agression, if I was just walking maybe they would have done the same, not sure about this...

I suspect the same, that perhaps you still would have been robbed if you were walking.  Although, it's also possible that being on what looks like an expensive looking Segway-type vehicle they may have assumed you to be more wealthy than the average person and have an expensive phone and therefore target you because of it.  We will never know, and sadly, those scumbags will never have to face any consequence for attacking you.  We can just be glad that this did not happen in a country like the US, or South Africa, where more likely you would have been robbed at gun point rather than knife point and possibly even killed. 

5 hours ago, vladmarks said:

I think it could've been one of the reasons, as generally e-mobility is considered luxury even by some of us :/ A shiny MCM for a robber would be like a shiny golden bling or flashing an iphone

Anything you can show off, they can see themselves showing off.  Or at least selling. Both are good.

12 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I get really angry hearing about people on this forum being attacked, robbed, threatened and even just harassed and mocked on their unicycles.  Too many scumbags out there think that they can get away with this.  I have a dream in my head of being that one guy, you know, the guy they should never have picked to mess with, the guy who goes absolutely ape and leaves them all with broken legs and afraid to leave the house for the rest of their lives.  Someone has to teach these people a lesson.  But in reality I am not that guy.  I'm not built like Dwayne The Rock Johnson and I don't have 20 years experience in close combat self defence.

What you need is some moves.

France is a beautiful country and it's one of those places I really want to love, but on my visits there I have not really enjoyed it.  I did not feel safe at night, the police were rude and unhelpful when I needed them and the locals in Paris were arrogant and unhelpful.  That is just my own truthful but limited experience after three short trips through France, so I hope I don't offend anyone.  And this was many years before the current political and terrorist situation in France, so I would imagine things may be worse now as more immigrants come in and French natives grow more suspicious of strangers and fear is high.  

My brother lived in Paris for about ten years.  He said the complaints people have about French rudeness are all true for Paris, but that the moment you leave Paris for other parts of the country, it's completely different,and people are very nice.

He did leave before the flood, though.

On 2017-6-1 at 6:15 AM, Pingouin said:

Hi guys,

I wanted to share this recent adventure, and give you some advices so that the same thing won't happen to you...

So I was riding alone, getting some fresh air as I always do during hot evenings, I had my gotway MCM4 that tops at 22km/h (this is important for after). After riding for about an hour in the forest, the dark was here, at about 10pm. I was heading back home on a bike lane, passing next to an inhabited complex for moderate revenues, when out of nowhere 6 youngsters came out and started yelling at me (can't remember exactly what), then started chasing me.

I accelerated as fast as I could. I didn't even hear the final alarm but it must have been very brutal, because the EUC had no more power to keep me balanced and I fell off it, luckily I was able to run, the EUC rolled into a bush, and the 6 guys catched up with me.

One of them threatened me with a knife, another had a cutter, they asked for my cellphone and money, I gave them what I had on me, but couldn't find my cellphone. The 6 guys where taller than me, and even though I had an electric shocker, I didn't use it because I was too afraid to get stabbed.

They left very quickly, luckily they didn't take my EUC, after a while I headed back home, my legs where shaking from the stress, I have already had some agressions on my EUC but they never succeded until now. I filled up a complaint today at the police station, but without a good description (I wasn't able to remember the faces of my agressors because it was dark and I was under stress) they told me there almost no hope to find them.

From now on, I won't go out at night with a slow and weak EUC, I think that if I had my ACM for example I would have gone away, I need to avoid some areas but I couldn't guess it would happen in this particular one, so I'll look out for groups of people. I highly recommend to ANYONE to be aware (in France at least) of these things happening. I'm glad they didn't take my EUC, I guess they thought it was broken..and it didn't sustain any major damage, I had some padding around it.

Glad to hear you are OK. Be careful when going out next time. 

If I remember well, there has been another post about some youngsters attacking a member of this forum. And it was also in France. Sounds like French youngsters don't like new technologies... Too sad :facepalm:

20 minutes ago, Roue Libre said:

If I remember well, there has been another post about some youngsters attacking a member of this forum. And it was also in France.

I believe it was even the same poster. 

Glad you're alright and thanks for sharing.

Reminds me when I was on a night ride a few weeks back. Had a group of guys ask how much the wheel cost and I hesitantly gave a ballpark range. Immediately realised I'd just told them it's more valuable than most cell phones, so I sped off as fast as possible. Won't be saying a price to strangers late at night, especially after some of the recent local events (riots, a stabbing, and a loose gunman all in just 1 month).

On 2017-6-1 at 11:05 PM, Dingfelder said:

He said the complaints people have about French rudeness are all true for Paris, but that the moment you leave Paris for other parts of the country, it's completely different,and people are very nice.

I don't think rudeness in this context meant pushing people off of uni- or bi-cycles or robbing them.

1 hour ago, ramma said:

Glad you're alright and thanks for sharing.

Reminds me when I was on a night ride a few weeks back. Had a group of guys ask how much the wheel cost and I hesitantly gave a ballpark range. Immediately realised I'd just told them it's more valuable than most cell phones, so I sped off as fast as possible. Won't be saying a price to strangers late at night, especially after some of the recent local events (riots, a stabbing, and a loose gunman all in just 1 month).

Smart move. 

A local tough asked me if my glasses were gold rims once, as I was passing.  It was laughing and saying I couldn't afford gold that made him lose interest. People who want to know how much the stuff you have on is worth or who want to get an idea of how much money you might make are pretty iffy at best.  At cocktail parties no less than late at night in the convenience store parking lot.

Plus muggers and snatch-and-grabbers sometimes distract you with nonsense talk just to get the drop on you.  

2 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I quoted the context I was referring to.

Absolutely right, I didn't want to imply anything to the contrary. 

On 5/31/2017 at 5:30 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:efee96588e: Oh man, glad to hear that you and the wheel are okay.  22 kph isn't enough speed to make a good getaway as it's only a fast jogging pace.  We've had some coyotes here attack dogs out for a walk with their owners.  It's sad that people are often far worse than wild animals.  That's how the world works unfortunately.  Carrying mace (pepper spray) is apparently legal in France, but against six attackers I don't know how effective it would be.  Maybe a larger can of it would work... or try riding with a buddy/buddies late at night.

Or you could carry a Granada like some other members might start suggesting. 

Just been sarcastic. Sorry for your incident. Glad you are well. 

There are good and bad/deprived people and we need to be aware of our surroundings and enter them in a proper way. You should not go to a high class ceremony without a tuxedo. They might also chase you away and through you down the stairs. So is for those other locations. Not at night not alone not prepared or completely avoid. 

I am glad you are well. Be safe. 

Actually that business about the coyotes bothers me too.  We have tons of coyotes around here ...at night you can hear packs howling to each other in a swell of many voices, right outside our house in a gulley uphill from us, and outside our neighbors' houses too.  

We have dogs, but they're from 40 to 65 pounds and no match for a pack of trained killers ... or maybe for even one trained killer on its own.  

I hope the coyotes around here never become aggressive enough to try to attack our dogs even while we're out with them!  Or at any time really, but that's super-aggressive.  I think most wild animals try to get the heck away from people unless they have rabies.  I'd actually strongly suspect rabies if I saw a coyote advancing on us.  In almost ten years here, I have yet to see a coyote with my own eyes despite how many we have around us.

20 minutes ago, Flash said:

Tired of being censored by nobrainers at this forum  , It's a serious problem if EUCs are forbidden in Germany...

Completely agree - have your posts on EUC politics been removed? Have there been complaints about it? (Honest question. I'm pretty active on these forums but if it's happening, I'm totally unaware of it.)

Even though my German is rusty, I've been trying to follow the posts in the German language section, which from start to finish is almost completely about the legal issues concerning EUCs.

I've discussed the legality of EUCs in the US state of Arizona, and the political success of getting the law changed here, all without censorship. It is central to the topic of EUCs to discuss their legality, and it should be fair game to discuss politics and political tactics to get laws and regulations which would give EUC riders greater freedom to ride in their own countries and localities.

As far as Islam goes, I agree with you in substance on your opinion of the Islamic problem in Europe, and the cultural suicide that is going on within the EU thanks to Merkel and other politicians. I do believe, however, that there are other more appropriate forums than an EUC forum for the discussion of this awful problem that will likely bring the demise of most of Europe as we know it. It is the right of the forum organizer to set the limits for discussion on his forum, and exclude such discussions entirely. 

EUCs are a very happy subject. The islamization of Europe is not. Let's stay away from that topic. 

51 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

Completely agree - have your posts on EUC politics been removed? Have there been complaints about it? (Honest question. I'm pretty active on these forums but if it's happening, I'm totally unaware of it.)

As far as Islam goes, I agree with you in substance on your opinion of the Islamic problem in Europe, and the cultural suicide that is going on within the EU thanks to Merkel and other politicians. I do believe, however, that there are other more appropriate forums than an EUC forum for the discussion of this awful problem that will likely bring the demise of most of Europe as we know it. It is the right of the forum organizer to set the limits for discussion on his forum, and exclude such discussions entirely. 

EUCs are a very happy subject. The islamization of Europe is not. Let's stay away from that topic. 

There were no complaints about it - just the warning from us moderators that he should respect the forum rules (http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/3969-forum-rules-and-guidelines-must-read-before-your-first-post/) in combination with the hiding of the relevant posts from him.

Unfortionately he decided to leave with a big bang (one can read his not so nice last words on his profile page) - so for now we moderators decided to set him on "moderated content" and see what happens.

Fortunately we have here a forum, where members tend to respect each other and discuss in a mannered way - which i personally appreciate very much, especially as this is not the normal way on some other places. 

The same nice behavior is also normal, once a moderator suggested that some content is (repeatedly) against the forum rules, there were complaints or whatsoever - but as it seems with some topics it just gets way to emorional... :(

Sorry guys, I didn't want this topic to turn into a debate, I know there is problems in our society today, but I think it's just something we'll have to live with. It won't keep me from having a blast every time I go out for a ride, I still enjoy the freedom of riding an EUC, and I am very glad that our community is strong together, that we are still seen as "good" people today, we still create dreams in some kids mind :)

Most of the time when I go out, 98% of the comments I get are positive, or encouraging. I always love to talk about my EUC's when somebody is curious about it, they always find it either interesting or incredible. The most fun part being able to be (for the faster EUC) a pedestrian, a cyclist and almost a biker at the same time, thanks to the the agility and speed of our EUC's.

Yes, I am not a very tough guy, I'm not very tall or big at least from the outside appearence this shouldn't affect the respect towards myself (plus I've done several years of combat sports but I never use it) and no I don't take a posture that would get more people to attack me, but the world is what it is, I can only accept it. I keep the idea of having some maze one me, at least it makes me feel safer.

Conservatives are used to being censored by leftists, it's all the left has, they lost the war of ideas decades ago. Now it's about censoring and destroying people who don't toe the line. 

1 hour ago, dbfrese said:

That would be a lot easier if these "doctors and lawyers" the gov't brought in would stop slaughtering people, and attacking EUC rifders.

Archived