King Song KS16S 840Wh - initial impressions

Dr Mick

5 hours ago, esaj said:

aSCzKnk.png

7bjGJTu.png

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it before, but in addition to slightly different pedal design vs. the B, the S's pedals are also slightly angled upwards towards the edges. Size & shape is pretty much the same otherwise. I wouldn't mind them being slightly larger though, maybe if the black plastic part is removed, something could be attached there, like a diamond-plate. Also, I wonder if making them thinner to accommodate the space needed for the plastic part makes them weaker..?

Interesting photo of the pedal differences,  at first glance the S pedal might look weaker, mainly because of the L shaped cutout for the black plastic and that the metal looks a bit thinner.  That sharp angle might be where cracks could start:unsure:  But what's even more interesting is the black plastic.  Is that a cushion, does it feel more comfortable riding long distances?  Does the slight upward angle make much difference in the riding?  Which pedal feels more slippery?  Sorry to ask so many questions.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-5-30 at 1:53 PM, Dr Mick said:

My KS16S 840Wh arrived yesterday evening and here are my initial impressions. I ordered this directly from King Song on the 9th and it arrived on the evening of the 29th....

@Dr Mick, You said you bought your KS16S 840Wh directly from Kingsong, but where do you by exactily? (I want to buy KS14S)

49 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Interesting photo of the pedal differences,  at first glance the S pedal might look weaker, mainly because of the L shaped cutout for the black plastic and that the metal looks a bit thinner.  That sharp angle might be where cracks could start:unsure:  

Yeah, time will tell... hopefully not, but it seems like a weak part. In the older pedals, the cracks seemed to appear nearer to the shaft through which the axle/bolt holding the pedal onto the hanger goes through. Don't know if more cases came up later on, it seemed that they mostly occurred last summer, in the earlier built models... my B might be made around the same time :P But at least so far I haven't found any fractures.

But what's even more interesting is the black plastic.  Is that a cushion, does it feel more comfortable riding long distances?

Not a cushion, it seems solid plastic. I've had some discomfort at times, especially when I started to ride again, but nothing really serious and it seems my endurance gets better with more riding. Also probably helps that I can move my feet around a bit without stopping and usually ride with the hiking boots instead of sneakers.

Does the slight upward angle make much difference in the riding?

Riding the B was a bit of a shock after the S, but getting used to it was pretty fast. Still it felt a bit awkward for a while, probably just because I've gotten more used to the upwards angled pedals of the S, having ridden it more.

Which pedal feels more slippery?  Sorry to ask so many questions.

The B feels more slippery (the top part seems to be some kind of rubber), but it's not like your feet slide on the pedals by themselves. Shifting feet is easier (for me) with the B pedals, it probably helps that the bottom of the shoe doesn't "stick" to the surface like with the grip tape, slowly getting better at shifting my foot positions while riding with the S. The plastic parts in the S-pedals have grip tape on them (by default, I didn't add it).

1 hour ago, esaj said:

Yeah, time will tell... hopefully not, but it seems like a weak part. In the older pedals, the cracks seemed to appear nearer to the shaft through which the axle/bolt holding the pedal onto the hanger goes through. Don't know if more cases came up later on, it seemed that they mostly occurred last summer, in the earlier built models... my B might be made around the same time :P But at least so far I haven't found any fractures.

This problem at the shaft was addressed and since then did not happen even once

Also the "new pedal type with grip tape" and S shape type is used on 14D/16C and even Ks18 old types since over 6/8 months....never seen a breakage problem ....

On 6/3/2017 at 2:58 AM, esaj said:

It is canceled in my KS16B, when turning off the "voice commands" or whatever they were called in the app, both the welcome message and all warnings change to beeps, and I guess in other older models too. But with the S, ...

With my KS16C turning off "voice commands" does (as far as I can tell) disable all voice including the "Hello Kingsong".  **BUT** It also disabled the bluetooth speakers completely; i.e. there is no KingsongMusic bluetooth device to play music/sound through.  I have the 1.25 firmware.

On 2017-6-4 at 6:50 AM, steve454 said:

Interesting photo of the pedal differences,  at first glance the S pedal might look weaker, mainly because of the L shaped cutout for the black plastic and that the metal looks a bit thinner.  That sharp angle might be where cracks could start:unsure:  But what's even more interesting is the black plastic.  Is that a cushion, does it feel more comfortable riding long distances?  Does the slight upward angle make much difference in the riding?  Which pedal feels more slippery?  Sorry to ask so many questions.

The pedal of KS-16S is made of magenium alloy, which is more sturdy and durable. The black thing on the top of it is designed to be anti-slippery. The riding feeling is more comfortable.:)

On 3.6.2017 at 6:53 PM, esaj said:

the S's pedals are also slightly angled upwards towards the edges. Size & shape is pretty much the same otherwise. I wouldn't mind them being slightly larger though,

I think this construction change is due to complaints that the pedals scratch the pavement when doing tight U-turns. Even after riding the KS-16B for up to 7.000 Km* this still happens to me occasionally! I always need to decelerate to walking speed before U-turning! With the KS-16S this should be possible with a bit more speed now. Jumping and pivot turning 180° might be an alternative to avoid pedal pavement contact - but someone else needs to show me a successful pivot turn with 10Km/h (while jumping) first. :D

*That's the KingSong odometer - so substract 15-20% for more accuracy. ;)

On 30.5.2017 at 3:11 PM, esaj said:

I'm fairly sure that the "Hello King Song"-greeting still played with the S even after changing the warnings to beeps, but I'd have to double-check. On the B, the greeting is also turned off when the warnings are set to beeping.

I am so glad I didn't order the KS-16S yet - and I never will unless this will be fixed. :P

@KingSong team: I'd appreciate integration and the possibility of activating additional options for users. Needless to say they'd have to confirm they do this on their own risk and as the case may be abandon warranty claims... Within those options users should be able to upload their own sound files (for startup, speed and low battery warnings, horn,...) and thus be able to decide also on the loudness and weather the sound files contain sound at all. :D

3 minutes ago, Dr Mick said:

what is your overall view on the quality of your wheel?

All primary (security-relevant) functions are excellent. Riding into a puddle within heavy rainfall last year turned out to be a sea. After the sea level touched above my ankles I dismounted and carried the KS-16 to the other side - else the unicycle would have been completely submerges because the sea level reached up to my knees while wading through (I didn't want to doe the IP-47 test :P) . Even though there is no IP certification I could switch on the KS-16 and continue my ride. :)

After 12 months one of the telescope bars was  not functioning any longer - also one of the LED stripes. My vendor 1Radwerkstatt.de replaced them for free. So I can give "thumbs up" to the quality and the aftersales service of 1Radwerkstatt.de.

Enjoy your rides - I think the KS-16S is at the moment the best wheel there is. Nevertheless the firmware and app needs to improve to satisfy today's customer needs.

27 minutes ago, Gunthor said:

All primary (security-relevant) functions are excellent. Riding into a puddle within heavy rainfall last year turned out to be a sea. After the sea level touched above my ankles I dismounted and carried the KS-16 to the other side - else the unicycle would have been completely submerges because the sea level reached up to my knees while wading through (I didn't want to doe the IP-47 test :P) . Even though there is no IP certification I could switch on the KS-16 and continue my ride. :)

After 12 months one of the telescope bars was  not functioning any longer - also one of the LED stripes. My vendor 1Radwerkstatt.de replaced them for free. So I can give "thumbs up" to the quality and the aftersales service of 1Radwerkstatt.de.

Enjoy your rides - I think the KS-16S is at the moment the best wheel there is. Nevertheless the firmware and app needs to improve to satisfy today's customer needs.

Great to hear that! A bit worried about what you say regarding the telescope bars - as the trolley handle does give a slightly less solid impression than the rest!! 

On 6/4/2017 at 1:22 AM, JAL_GRANADA said:

@Dr Mick, You said you bought your KS16S 840Wh directly from Kingsong, but where do you by exactily? (I want to buy KS14S)

Sorry for late reply on this! Must have missed your post for some reason. I just contacted Diana@szkingsong.com who is a member of this forum. The only difficult part was paying through an international bank transfer, which I had never done before. But Diana was quite helpful.

On 2017-6-11 at 1:31 PM, Gunthor said:

I always need to decelerate to walking speed before U-turning! With the KS-16S this should be possible with a bit more speed now. Jumping and pivot turning 180° might be an alternative to avoid pedal pavement contact - but someone else needs to show me a successful pivot turn with 10Km/h (while jumping) first.

I actually can do a pivot turn at 10km/h (or maybe a little less, but more than 6km/h). However, I continue moving with 8km/h in the same direction then. A U-turn of whatever size means to inverse the direction of where to move. That means, for a maximally sharp U-turn we reach zero speed in between anyway, so there is no real concern to do the turn itself at larger speeds.

20 hours ago, Dr Mick said:

Sorry for late reply on this! Must have missed your post for some reason. I just contacted Diana@szkingsong.com who is a member of this forum. The only difficult part was paying through an international bank transfer, which I had never done before. But Diana was quite helpful.

Thank you very much

Thanks for the videos, very interesting:thumbup:

I'm most surprised it's so quiet. The whine is almost gone, also it does not get much louder when going faster vs going slow. Very neat! The first high powered "quiet" wheel!

Form factor + rubberized black also looks really nice.

I'd agree with you that it's the best (16 inch or overall) wheel if there were bigger battery options (>1000Wh), or if it wasn't so expensive in Eurozone - 1550€ (or 1700? Not sure) for 16S with 840 (828) Wh vs 1650€ for a 1300 (1288) Wh ACM (via UK in GBP) - roughly the same price but 1.5 times bigger battery with the ACM (and a 1500W motor and 84V system):shock2:

Where did you buy/how much did you pay?

I also received my brand new KS16s, great neat little wheel? 

Does anyone know, if I can use a fastcharger on it? I've heard it rumored that a fastcharger won't do much good for the battery, not sure however. On my old KS16 it wasn't any problem. 

Someone out here already has using a fastcharger on the KS16s w/o problems? Which fastcharger is the best /are you using? 

I note: the standard charger I'm using currently (which came packed with KS16s)  tend to heat up a lot, while charging my KS16s as there's no fan build into it. 

R

16 minutes ago, Rudy Sijnke said:

Does anyone know, if I can use a fastcharger on it? I've heard it rumored that a fastcharger won't do much good for the battery, not sure however. On my old KS16 it wasn't any problem. 

Someone out here already has using a fastcharger on the KS16s w/o problems? Which fastcharger is the best /are you using? 

I note: the standard charger I'm using currently (which came packed with KS16s)  tend to heat up a lot, while charging my KS16s as there's no fan build into it. 

R

The fast chargers work fine on all of the current wheels. The batteries are not affected in a bad way.

The standard chargers do run very hot to the touch.

R

16 minutes ago, Rudy Sijnke said:

Thanks Marty:) 

Do you know, which fastcharger would you recommend? 

R

I only have experience with the ones that EWheels sells, but that's not going to help you in your location. Hopefully someone else can make a recommendation. @KingSong69 maybe?

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I only have experience with the ones that EWheels sells, but that's not going to help you in your location. Hopefully someone else can make a recommendation. @KingSong69 maybe?

Yes, he can make a recommendation..  @Rudy Sijnke

First i would ask 1radwerkstatt.de if fastcharging on a Ks16s is no problem...just to be sure!

But i would guess it is none, as he sells the 16s in a fastcharger combi also!

then there are two options:

go with a Charge doctor with 2 inputs, there you can load with 4 amps with 2 of your standard chargers and that even to where you want it to load (80-90-100%)....

Or: buy one of 1radwerkstatt's 4 amp charger...you can even ask him to adjust the chager to a certain threshold (80-90%) and they are not expensive.....speedyfeet buys them i mass and takes a good amount of plus on it :-)

whats with your 18S??? ;-)

19 hours ago, Rudy Sijnke said:

R

Don't go above 5A unless you plan on changing the charge port connector also, the GX16 can heat up and melt with high current and is supposedly rated for 5A max. With that said, I've been charging both the KS16S (840Wh) & KS16B (680Wh) with two 2A chargers connected through Charge Doctor V2 (so 4A total) without problems. Nowadays I mostly charge with the original KS16S (2A) charger, and a similar, but "only" 1.75A Firewheel charger, so 3.75A. The charger that came with the second hand KS16B (same charger as the KS16S) started making a crackling sound and heating up, so I stopped using it and threw it in my "investigate at some point" -pile ;) I also have a 4A Gotway charger laying around somewhere, that would probably work too.

Archived