Learning. It takes time, but it's worth it.

Anthony S

So, I bought my EUC a few months ago and, besides trying it a few times after it was delivered, I kept putting it off on account of the weather. (In hindsight, that was a mistake as I had unlearned everything I had learned back then.)

These past few weeks have been fantastic, weather-wise, here in the Seattle area. So, I decided it was time to try to start learning again - in earnest this time.

My legs are sore, my back is sore, and while I managed to avoid any falls, I did twist an ankle. Yet, for the first time this morning, I managed to start from a standstill. No walls, no rails. Just me and my apparently awful sense of balance. Better, I repeated it several times in a row and I am happy to say that I can get on my EUC on my own, unassisted, and actually travel more than a few feet. I already know I can actually travel on it, I just have to master the transition from jumping on it to traveling forward.

I'm still wobbly and I've still got a long way to go. But, I can finally see how it can be done. It's gone from seemingly impossible to "maybe." 

I'm pretty happy with maybe.

8 minutes ago, Anthony S said:

So, I bought my EUC a few months ago and, besides trying it a few times after it was delivered, I kept putting it off on account of the weather. (In hindsight, that was a mistake as I had unlearned everything I had learned back then.)

These past few weeks have been fantastic, weather-wise, here in the Seattle area. So, I decided it was time to try to start learning again - in earnest this time.

My legs are sore, my back is sore, and while I managed to avoid any falls, I did twist an ankle. Yet, for the first time this morning, I managed to start from a standstill. No walls, no rails. Just me and my apparently awful sense of balance. Better, I repeated it several times in a row and I am happy to say that I can get on my EUC on my own, unassisted, and actually travel more than a few feet. I already know I can actually travel on it, I just have to master the transition from jumping on it to traveling forward.

I'm still wobbly and I've still got a long way to go. But, I can finally see how it can be done. It's gone from seemingly impossible to "maybe." 

I'm pretty happy with maybe.

Congrats so far...it will keep getting better!

Couple of things that are important:

1) Make sure your tire pressure is between 37-45psi. Anywhere outside this for a beginner (on either side) and you might be making things more difficult than they need to be. It's worth investing in a decent track pump (with PSI gauge) if you don't have one.

2) It may be tempting to learn on grass because of the 'cushion' if you fall...but again, it's uneven, inconsistent nature might make learning slower than on tarmac/concerete.

3). Have a beer (or 2). I always say this....the euc works via tiny changes you make in your weight distribution using your feet. If you're at all tense, this can make the learning progress (and even afterwards) harder. Have one or two drinks (assuming you drink) and you'll be surprised how quickly you jumpstart the learning. No more of course!

Enjoy ?

12 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Congrats so far...it will keep getting better!

Couple of things that are important:

1) Make sure your tire pressure is between 37-45psi. Anywhere outside this for a beginner (on either side) and you might be making things more difficult than they need to be. It's worth investing in a decent track pump (with PSI gauge) if you don't have one.

2) It may be tempting to learn on grass because of the 'cushion' if you fall...but again, it's uneven, inconsistent nature might make learning slower than on tarmac/concerete.

3). Have a beer (or 2). I always say this....the euc works via tiny changes you make in your weight distribution using your feet. If you're at all tense, this can make the learning progress (and even afterwards) harder. Have one or two drinks (assuming you drink) and you'll be surprised how quickly you jumpstart the learning. No more of course!

Enjoy ?

1. When I'm not trying to kill myself on my EUC, I try to do it on a mountain bike instead. So, I've got the pump covered. Also, the tire is pumped to the low-end of what the manufacturer recommends. 

2. I've only taken it on grass by accident. Otherwise, it's all concrete, all the time.

3. I don't drink :) I can see your point though. 

1 hour ago, Paddylaz said:

Being that my wife will begin her training in a few days and she gets drunk on one beer your advice should be fun to watch!:cheers:

Last weekend I took my EUC to a picnic party whereby several men tried to ride it on the fairly smooth grass. They tried for about two hours but none succeeded. All were tired and sore afterwards.

I demonstrated how to mount and suggested that they first push off from something tall, but as these were all college professors from the ecology department they were completely unable to learn nor listen to reason.

The sharp, sudden, and strong movements required to stay on the EUC immediately upon mounting is what causes you to be sore. Use an object or a person to mount, and just concentrate on riding. Riding is easy; once moving your brain quickly realizes to swivel from the hips. You won't get sore and you won't get hurt from just riding. It's the mounting that's just impossible. I didn't even attempt learning to mount in the first 3-4 weeks.

I find there's big variation in how long it takes people.  Personally I was able to mount and ride in a straight line within about 10 minutes.  This weekend I rode my wheel to a party and let a few people try it.  One friend of mine was able to mount and ride no problems within about 15 minutes.  My other friend still couldn't ride after about 20 minutes, he could just follow along the fence for balance.

Everyone has a different learning curve but if we keep at it we will all get there.

Riding EUC is really fun but I found the challenge of learning to be the most exciting part especially being able to mount unassisted for the first time.

Good luck mate you will soon be able to cruise, mount and dismount with your eyes closed.

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Being that my wife will begin her training in a few days and she gets drunk on one beer your advice should be fun to watch!:cheers:

Make sure your wife doesn't fall!  I've seen some women make very strong first impressions after initial failures, and they don't seem to have the determination to carry on with some difficult challenges.  It's not only women of course, but they seem to be more concerned about how they look in public.  

Maybe practising in a private area behind your house would be wise where there aren't any onlookers.  I'm sure you already are, but remember to be supportive and take proper care to increase odds of long term success!

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Make sure your wife doesn't falL It's not only women of course, but they seem to be more concerned about how they look in public.  

Maybe practising in a private area behind your house would be wise where there aren't any onlookers.

I appreciate your concerns! Oh boy...if she falls the training will abruptly end! I have a long secluded driveway so onlookers will not be an issue. I will be stabilizing her all the way until she feels somewhat confident to try it on her own. Riding around holding onto my truck might also helpful for her to gain an appreciation of the sensitivity of the wheel. Her balance is pretty good. I have a balance mat that also might be helpful.

I started on Friday and I rode for this afternoon and this evening for about about an hour. It is a blast. Now, I can only mount next to a light post and only ride on relatively flat surfaces but it is mile above yesterday and Friday was far from impressive. (Right Marty?)

I agree it is worth it.  I bought some knee pad yesterday and already had a helmet and elbow pads.  For those of us of a certain age, protective gear can increase confidence.

I agree it is worth it.  It is even more fun than I thought.  So far I have only ventured out in a 3 block radius but that because there are some madman hills in my neighborhood.

My pure novice observation is to learn to dismount before learning to mount.  You wheel and your ankles will thank you for it.

16 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I demonstrated how to mount and suggested that they first push off from something tall, but as these were all college professors from the ecology department they were completely unable to learn nor listen to reason.

giphy-1.gif

10 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I appreciate your concerns! Oh boy...if she falls the training will abruptly end! I have a long secluded driveway so onlookers will not be an issue. I will be stabilizing her all the way until she feels somewhat confident to try it on her own. Riding around holding onto my truck might also helpful for her to gain an appreciation of the sensitivity of the wheel. Her balance is pretty good. I have a balance mat that also might be helpful.

If she falls....no mercy.

Just point and laugh as she writhes on the floor after downing her triple multi-pack of Jack Daniels, and tell her in your most judgmental voice that she has failed the Paddy-Euc-Bootcamp Academy, and you're ashamed to be associated with her.

I know a good divorce lawyer ?

1 hour ago, Paddylaz said:

If she falls....no mercy.

Just point and laugh as she writhes on the floor after downing her triple multi-pack of Jack Daniels, and tell her in your most judgmental voice that she has failed the Paddy-Euc-Bootcamp Academy, and you're ashamed to be associated with her.

I know a good divorce lawyer ?

I take it your not married or you would have said undertaker!  :)

7 hours ago, HeavyGoing said:

<snip>

I agree it is worth it.  It is even more fun than I thought.  So far I have only ventured out in a 3 block radius but that because there are some madman hills in my neighborhood.

<snip>

So now you understand why some of us have multiple wheels. Your time will come ;)

13 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Riding around holding onto my truck might also helpful for her to gain an appreciation of the sensitivity of the wheel

I second @Marty Backe's request for you to have your video camera out while this training is in progress...the visual of you driving a beat up truck on a long secluded driveway with your wife holding on to the trail gate for dear life seems like "can't miss TV"!  For what its worth, @Rehab1 I also got one of those KS-14Cs for my wife to learn on, so we can share notes on their progress :facepalm: :roflmao:

Archived