Flyboard Inventor Frank Zapata Tries the Electric Unicycle

Jason McNeil

My friend Felix @felixtm.com was out with his KS18 yesterday when he ran into the Flyboard Air crew preparing a demonstration. Franky Zapata (the genius/daredevil Flyboard inventor) asked to give it a try, within a minute he had the thing mastered. 

Frank's reputation is yuge, he pretty much single-handed developed the jet-ski flying business; now has taken the world by storm with his Flyboard Air. When it first appeared on YT, it was so revolutionary & unbelievable that many believed it was a CGI hoax. Can you imagine the Wheel he'll come up with now that he's bitten with the Wheeling bug?!

https://www.theverge.com/2016/4/15/11439798/franky-zapata-racing-jet-powered-flying-hoverboard-interview

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjWWhzQnVRM

Amazing! So are you going to diversify into EWheels and Flyboards? Are they commercially available? Cost?

edit: I read further. I see they are working on a  commercially available  version that will be more user friendly. There was no estimated price I could find.

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

you going to diversify into EWheels and Flyboards? Are they commercially available? Cost?

In that Verge article, Frank talks about how he has 4x 250HP jets to provide lift, that's 750,000W of power! Then there's the regulations "challenges": Frank was originally going to be demoing the board on South Beach, but the FAA didn't give him approval in time, couldn't get the insurance. 

Although it's impossible to predict the future with complete certainty, at least from an energy consumption standpoint, it's hard to see how a Flyboard Air, which consumes 1000x more energy per/km than a Wheel, will displace ground based Electric vehicles for some time to come.   

30 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

My friend Felix @felixtm.com was out with his KS18 yesterday when he ran into the Flyboard Air crew preparing a demonstration. Franky Zapata (the genius/daredevil Flyboard inventor) asked to give it a try, within a minute he had the thing mastered. 

Natural born balance! Did Felix record any video of Mr. Zapata riding his KS16? 

"within a minute he had the thing mastered"

Mastered? Was he actually able to learn to mount, dismount, ride and turn competently within his first 60 seconds of ever being on an EUC, or is this just extreme exaggeration? 

11 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

In that Verge article, Frank talks about how he has 4x 250HP jets to provide lift, that's 750,000W of power! Then there's the regulations "challenges": Frank was originally going to be demoing the board on South Beach, but the FAA didn't give him approval in time, couldn't get the insurance. 

Although it's impossible to predict the future with complete certainty, at least from an energy consumption standpoint, it's hard to see how a Flyboard Air, which consumes 1000x more energy per/km than a Wheel, will displace ground based Electric vehicles for some time to come.   

It will for Richard Branson, I assume.

11 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

750KW ... emphasizes how difficult it is to counter gravity!  Surely 750KW would appease even the most demanding of Gotway owners.  But you'd have to gut a Tesla S just to get the battery pack ...

8 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

750KW ... emphasizes how difficult it is to counter gravity!  Surely 750KW would appease even the most demanding of Gotway owners.  But you'd have to gut a Tesla S just to get the battery pack ...

Yeah, when it comes to energy consumption forward is a lot easier than up!

Although the flyboard is a nice piece of engineering, and,
although mastering the flying is an awesome feat, and,
although the feeling of flying must be really really great,

i hate to say it,

its not practical at all, nor is it economic transportation,
like the modest EUC totally is.

14 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

750KW ... emphasizes how difficult it is to counter gravity! 

The issue is trying to counter gravity by blowing air downwards. Lifting 100kg with 10km/h takes in itself 2.7kW, or in other words, lifting 100kg by 10m takes 2.7Wh.

Archived