Gotway "slop" forced my wheel to stop!

On 5/28/2017 at 3:37 PM, steve454 said:

Well, the newest ACM and MSuper in black look higher quality on the outside than the older versions.  The shape of them is looking better each time I see an unboxing video.  And the wiring seems to be getting a little better.  Gotway seems to be improving as time goes on, but the Chenglish manuals sure do seem an easy thing to improve.  Like you said, it should be so easy to find someone to translate them for all the markets.   Most electronics today have manuals with three or four translations in them.  I am hoping the Chinese manufactures eventually arrive at Japanese levels of quality.  That will probably happen if they start selling Iphone quantities, right now the volume is probably still too low.

The sad thing about the manuals is there are probably a lot of us that would be happy to fix or even create a manual for a nice discount on a great wheel.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, jrkline said:

The facilities I visited were not factories.A more accurate description would be office and assembly facilities.I don't think any wheel maker is big enough or produces enough volume for a factory environment.I believe most of the components are produced by others and assembled by Gotway and Kingsong.Gotway may very well be procuring boards from Microworks.And I wouldn't necessarily believe all the promontional videos you see. 

King Song is a couple of years older company (founded 2012) vs. Gotway (founded 2014). They didn't start with making electric unicycles, but something else, apparently at least hoverboards and "power bank protection boards", which might mean BMSs? There's a few FCC testing documents for their products in https://fccid.io/2ADW6  (Scroll down the page for the product list)

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

I'd like to get 150A bullet connectors, do you have any recommendations where to buy them?

Try a local RC-hobby -shop, or online something like Hobby King (or Aliexpress/Amazon/Ebay). 6mm and 8mm bullets have high amperage, as well as XT150's. EC5's are rated a little lower, something like 120A continuous.

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I'd like to get 150A bullet connectors, do you have any recommendations where to buy them?

During my ACM autopsy I purchased 3 different sized bullet connectors: 3.5 mm (the size GW currently uses), the 4mm and 5.5 mm. I decided to change out the connectors to the 4mm just because I had the time. The current 3.5mm connectors would have been more than adequate.

I would not recommend going with the larger 5.5 or 6 mm connectors you are considering as they are rated for a 10 to 12 awg wire. Your wires would be floating in solder within connector's hollowed out connection point? Even a crimp style connector of that size would not be recommened as the tangs might not firmly grip the smaller wire adequately.

On 5/30/2017 at 2:16 PM, Scatcat said:

Thanks to both @esaj and @Rehab1 for the suggestions. I'm thinking to eventually replace the current bullet connectors with crimp-styled equivalents. I hate the thought of solder melting in the contact at high amperage.

Make sure you use High melting point solder. 

I think people should inspect the motor solder and the battery solder. 

Its possible low temperature solder was used. If they use PCBoaes circuits solder it has low melting point. 

Look at the topic o just posted on Solderimg in the general section. 

Archived