Piano bench mod, version 2

Philip W

About a year ago I had this idea of using a piano chair for EUC. You can see my original concept below:

It was fun riding it. It was like learning to ride a new gadget all over again. In the end,  it was still unstable and hard to ride. Since then I was busy doing other things, and only recently I return here. So now I have some time to get the bench 2.0 done.

The biggest problem for me to ride it is that my feet is hard to touch the ground. It was because of the orientation of the bench top. I took it out and rotate it 90 degrees, and now it looks more like a saddle. My feet now can easily touch the ground left and right. It makes the riding safer too.

In the mid-section I used 1/4 inch diameter 2 inch screw to tie up 4 corner braces. On top of those braces I used 2 10inch mending plate to connect the two legs. I use wing nuts so I can remove the mending plates and fold the chair in 5 minutes. As you can see from the pictures below. The mending plates can be attached to the chair after folding.

The chair fit my new Kingsong 14C perfectly. Almost seen like it was designed for it. For my old EUC I need to put an old shopping bag into the gap so it won't wobble around. Once the gap is filled. Riding it is much easier. The chair is now almost like part of the EUC. The little platform in the mid-section could be used for anything: shopping basket, extra battery holder... Whatever you like. The look of the chair also improved. It's kinda cool I think.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

It was would be great to see a video of this in action. The seat looks like it would be too wide, but I'd have to see it use.

Cool mod :thumbup:

I thought I would make a video for it, but it turned out to be too comical: I am a shy person and not much a looker, and I am the only one in the family who knows how to ride an EUC, let along an EUC with chair. So someone else had to make this video if he's interested. 

Basically I can describe the experience of riding it. I am 5'8", and my feet can touch the ground easily with this new design. It's like a saddle now, not a bench any more. It requires you twisting your waist a lot to change the direction and using hands to keep the balance. So when I was first riding it it really was funny to others. You would see me swelving left and right and waving hands frantically. But now I am much better at it, so I can dangle my feet and make only little moves while riding. It literally change the whole experience. Before the chair, any ride more than 2 hours is equal to insufferable feet burns. Now it's just extra waist work, or a little butt hurt. Hours of riding won't scare me any more. The size is a little large, but you got to feel how comfortable it is. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Dgtreble said:

This looks wildly unsafe but if it works then whinho am I am I to judge.

Be safe though cause if you fall it's gonna hurt.

I agree I'd love to see a video too!

Holy resurrection batman! I must admit.... "oh sh*t" is about the only thing that came to mind when I saw this. YOu know the SLOW form of 'ooooohh shhhhiiii****."