Hacking the MiniPro's speed limiter

Indeed, I already had the J-link from an old project :) I have flashed 4 MiniPRO to 1.1.9 now, without incident.

I see China is advertising new V8 dongles (that don't freeze up with the firmware upgrade) for less than $20... The old J-Flash ARM 4.20a Windoze software for XP works fine with the MiniPRO CPU! Any info about the MiniPRO control firmware would be useful - especially where it interrogates the battery pack to figure out if it has a non-Ninebot, or Mini, or 310Wh MiniPRO capability. I think this is why the N3M240 and N3M260 are only 700 Watts, even though I posted how the shorter-life battery packs can safley put out the same 27Amp peak currents as the 310Wh one which gives the MiniPRO N3M320 its 1000W (peak) output rating...

Edited by trevmar

Anyway. ...even with a J-Link and being able to use and doing hardware solderings on the motherboard..:unsure: We at last will need the mod firmware with unlocked limits in order to flash it and finally get a 23-25Kph machine. ..:rolleyes: and still results that this firmware can't be bought and download from nowhere....:crying:

Well. This YouTube shows NineBot Mini running at 23KM/h. Modified firmware. I have added a cross link. We need to unify people! 

Personally, I would prefer a 19MPH machine [30KM/h]. But, at least, this definitely proves the speed values can be successfully changed at a firmware level!

I get so hacked off, when the T bar lifts back up, just when I'm building up speed. And then an electric scooter whizzes past me at 25KM/h...

This gokart kit was announced by Ninebot today: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ninebot-electric-gokart-the-coolest-gokart-ever#/

It's basically a frame that you attach to the minipro that allows you to sit and steer it like a gokart.

The most interesting thing I saw about it was the top speed:

image.png.b0786f14898b1b034f7900b92a3e7d86.png

Given that it looks like you just attach the minipro and can start driving, it must mean that whatever firmware is in the cart can override the minipro's speed limit. Unfortunately that firmware might also disable a bunch of important stuff, like the self-balancing, in order to get the gas/brake pedals to work.

The kart kit didn't oblige to a firmware update..... seems like is a special and dedicate connection that enable the app to recognise the device as kart and let you set it in the app;)

16 hours ago, zugu said:

The kart kit didn't oblige to a firmware update..... seems like is a special and dedicate connection that enable the app to recognise the device as kart and let you set it in the app;)

No I think the MiniPro is mounted in reverse when installed in the GoKart and reverse does not have the limit.  I have not gone back to check the videos, but that is what I recall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FreeRide said:

No I think the MiniPro is mounted in reverse when installed in the GoKart and reverse does not have the limit.  I have not gone back to check the videos, but that is what I recall.

Sure, that's was I intend for special pedals command that can manage the forward and reverse direction march ;)

You both need this connection in order to eneable the kart function option in the app

And then...surely as most of us known, Mini doesn't have speed limits when it goes in reverse....

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2018 at 1:10 PM, zugu said:

Anyway. ...even with a J-Link and being able to use and doing hardware solderings on the motherboard..:unsure: We at last will need the mod firmware with unlocked limits in order to flash it and finally get a 23-25Kph machine. ..:rolleyes: and still results that this firmware can't be bought and download from nowhere....:crying:

On Taobao, the motherboard sold by someone is 25KMH. 

Can I extract it and write it to another motherboard?

(Sorry, my English is very poor. I use translation.)

16 hours ago, 蕭瀚 said:

hello...

If any, probably is cripted.... :unsure:

On 10/5/2018 at 3:07 AM, 蕭瀚 said:

I searched Taobao and found someone who provides service of modifying the firmware to reach 25km/h.

I'll send my motherboard to him on mid-October, and hope I can provide some good news to the forum!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyYellow said:

I searched Taobao and found someone who provides service of modifying the firmware to reach 25km/h.

I'll send my motherboard to him on mid-October, and hope I can provide some good news to the forum!

我發現你也是台灣人  我沒辦法私訊你 要不要聯絡一下 互相研究 line:xtr0123

(I found out that you are also a Taiwanese. I can't get a private message. Do you want to contact me? Study each other line:xtr0123)

Edited by Keith
Couldn’t approve a post I cannot read !

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 3:07 AM, 蕭瀚 said:

I had completed my firmware upgrade, and it just worked smoothly!

The 25km/h speed limit combined with hybrid tyres, made the mini run with actual speed 27-28km/h

I'm very satisfied with the result.

I found the service on Taobao.com and had shipped my motherboard from Taiwan to China,

which had costed me 5 days and about 50USD including express shipping fee.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AndyYellow said:

AndyYellow, thanks for the great news! Can you describe how the "pushback" works now when you go too fast, or up too steep a slope? Does it still beep? Does the machine still repeatedly "pushback" to forcibly slow you down?

4 hours ago, trevmar said:

AndyYellow, thanks for the great news! Can you describe how the "pushback" works now when you go too fast, or up too steep a slope? Does it still beep? Does the machine still repeatedly "pushback" to forcibly slow you down?

Hello trevmar,

In fact, the speed 25km/h combined with hybrid tyres currently are enough to me, so I rarely reached that speed limit.

I'd only used the modified mini for 3 days, maybe when I used it for longer time I can describe it with more details.

The "pushback" still presents, but since I rarely reached speed limit, so it's really not obvious to me.

6 hours ago, AndyYellow said:

Hello trevmar,

In fact, the speed 25km/h combined with hybrid tyres currently are enough to me, so I rarely reached that speed limit.

I'd only used the modified mini for 3 days, maybe when I used it for longer time I can describe it with more details.

The "pushback" still presents, but since I rarely reached speed limit, so it's really not obvious to me.

This is great news, very interested in longer term report, and how it behaves when battery get low.  Does it keep the same top speed when you are down at 20% remaining battery?  This sounds about perfect, I also don't need to go more than 25km/h on the MiniPro. With the Swallowbot firmware it is only 23.5km, Max without the large tires, so your mod is technically faster.  As the batteries age then we might start running into issues, but maybe after I mod mine (presuming I can get it to work), I may look at building a heavy-duty battery-pack.

7 hours ago, FreeRide said:

This is great news, very interested in longer term report, and how it behaves when battery get low.  Does it keep the same top speed when you are down at 20% remaining battery?  This sounds about perfect, I also don't need to go more than 25km/h on the MiniPro. With the Swallowbot firmware it is only 23.5km, Max without the large tires, so your mod is technically faster.  As the batteries age then we might start running into issues, but maybe after I mod mine (presuming I can get it to work), I may look at building a heavy-duty battery-pack.

Exactly.

In fact, with the speed limit issue solved, I think battery would be the last issue we need to deal with.

Previous more4mini had made enlarged batteries, which was unsuccessful due to speed locked at 10km/h.

Now we have the speed limit removed, I'm wondering if the speed lock with non-genuine battery still presents. So far as I know, 蕭瀚 is also trying to install enlarged battery on his mini, which also had the speed limit removed. Hope to hear some good news from him in the near future.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, AndyYellow said:

Exactly.

In fact, with the speed limit issue solved, I think battery would be the last issue we need to deal with.

Previous more4mini had made enlarged batteries, which was unsuccessful due to speed locked at 10km/h.

Now we have the speed limit removed, I'm wondering if the speed lock with non-genuine battery still presents. So far as I know, 蕭瀚 is also trying to install enlarged battery on his mini, which also had the speed limit removed. Hope to hear some good news from him in the near future.

I have a firmware that allows you to accelerate 25kmch with a custom battery(Do not need the original BMS).
But the disadvantage of this firmware is that the battery is quickly discharged and does not allow the battery to go to zero.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MRN76 said:

Really?

14Ah (The battery is 20mm longer than usual. The clearance between the battery and the road surface is increased by 18mm high rubber.)

photo_2018-10-23_19-56-05.jpg

Wow, is that a new battery you are working on?  Which cells are you using (they look like maybe Sony? and you basically doubled the number of cells?

On 10/22/2018 at 6:53 PM, AndyYellow said:

The 25km/h speed limit combined with hybrid tyres, made the mini run with actual speed 27-28km/h

I'm very satisfied with the result.

I found the service on Taobao.com and had shipped my motherboard from Taiwan to China,

which had costed me 5 days and about 50USD including express shipping fee.

$50USD sounds more within my budget than $200 for a motherboard replacement.  I would still prefer software modification but cant have everything i guess.

Can you post a link where i can order please?

15 hours ago, FreeRide said:

Wow, is that a new battery you are working on?  Which cells are you using (they look like maybe Sony? and you basically doubled the number of cells?

Sorry, sealed. This battery is 13Ah. I'm not doing it. my friend did.

• Upvote 2

The 2 pictures is the record of my short trip within Taipei city.

I didn't put my mini to the speed limit, just rode it with a comfortable speed (max 18-22km/h I think), stopped at all red lights and followed every traffic rule. We can see my trip was 5.4km, however the expected remain mileage had lowered 8.6km.

My enlarged hybrid tyres also has something to do with this. However in my own experience, it doesn't make such huge difference.

Everyone with modified firmware really should put battery issue as their next step.

I also asked the guy in China who had modified the firmware for me. He said with my firmware, batteries without BMS would still be speed limited, however it's limited on 18km/h, not the poor 10km/h. Besides, if we simply modify a genuine battery with larger cells, since the battery has BMS information, there won't be a speed limit problem.

IMG_4885.PNG

IMG_4884.PNG

Edited by AndyYellow