Second hand GT16, interesting mix of highs and lows

On 6/30/2018 at 2:34 PM, ir_fuel said:

That's pretty fast. I constantly hit my 32km/h alarm, and sometimes my 35km/h. Never hit the 40km/h tiltback yet.

It has progressed from 35kph when I started to 40kph now. The wheel has a theoretical max close to 30mph/48kph (not that I would want to go anywhere near it).

However, if you run at the hard mode, which I prefer, you have to push bloody hard when you go past 40kph to accelerate further - much like Marty going uphill when wheel-testing. The kind of rigid stance that entails, is not something I really like, it feels like any pot-hole or crack would make me shatter my teeth if my legs cant stay relaxed while riding...

Also, as @Marty Backe noted, the stability at really high speeds isn't the GT16 forte. It is still a 16"-wheel, and I suspect slightly more unstable than the Tesla at higher speeds. Going 40kph on a smooth road ain't no biggie, but add some cracks, gravel and bumps to the mix and I'd rather slow down to, let's say, 36kph... :D

I have a stretch close to work, the last 800m or so, that's newly fixed up with silk smooth asphalt. When I ride that stretch, is when I most often get speed alarms and tilt-back. You're basically accelerating past 40kph before you know it, and it feels like going 30-35kph on older asphalt.

Lastly, I've recently tried to measure braking performance, which is not a simple thing to estimate. But there IS a big difference between stopping from 35kph and 40kph.

While the motor is perfectly capable of applying some monstrous braking power (while 80%-beeping like crazy), the lag when you push the wheel before you and until braking starts is the same. But you travel further before you brake, and the braking takes longer.

I can go from 35kph to a speed where I can put my foot down within 1.5 - 2 seconds, 15 - 20m, after braking starts. But you have to add another 0.5 - 1s to that from need to brake to braking start, which is basically another 10m or so.

When I'm testing, I realise that the 15-25 meters where I go from 35-40kph to stop isn't really realistic, since I know beforehand that I'm going to brake and so prepare for it with allt the time in the world to spare. A more realistic braking distance when the need comes from nowhere, is probably 25-35m from such speeds. Which just goes to show that if you run fast, and suddenly need to brake, the odds that you go pancake is not very fun to ponder.

So while it feels like someone grabs me from behind by the jacket while I'm braking, I'm afraid that it won't matter if I go to fast. So I run a lot more carefully if I'm not absolutely certain of my surroundings.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is memorable day I ordered GT16 from Rockwheel Store, maybe I'll regret my decision but now Im pretty excited ?

But now I has to enjoy my old squeaky Airwheel X3 ? 

...and like @LEO_LEO said: "...and meanwhile I'm waiting patiently scanning the horizon to the east "

yoga.jpg.a41338560c8071104e9fbbac6bc740dd.jpg

5 hours ago, DarthPeter said:

Today is memorable day I ordered GT16 from Rockwheel Store, maybe I'll regret my decision but now Im pretty excited ?

Trust me, you won't.

• 4 weeks later...

What can I said wheel is amazing, transaction and delivery from Rockwheel Store was flawless. Thank you MR. @Yi Chen

Shell and plastic is not that bad like somebody write…  no great either.

One thing is a little surprise for me, my wheel engine is loud, definitely loudest wheel I heard.  Everything work great but engine make buzz sound, even on idle silent buzz but always buzz. 

This is normal for GT16 or my wheel is particularly loud?

9 hours ago, DarthPeter said:

What can I said wheel is amazing, transaction and delivery from Rockwheel Store was flawless. Thank you MR. @Yi Chen

One thing is a little surprise for me, my wheel engine is loud, definitely loudest wheel I heard.  Everything work great but engine make buzz sound, even on idle silent buzz but always buzz. 

I think it is normal, listen to this video.  

11 hours ago, DarthPeter said:

Yep, the GT16 has the loudest motor of any wheel on planet Earth:D And when it's just sitting there, sounds like a little lightening storm is going off inside the wheel.

On 7/28/2018 at 11:41 PM, Marty Backe said:

Yep, the GT16 has the loudest motor of any wheel on planet Earth:D And when it's just sitting there, sounds like a little lightening storm is going off inside the wheel.

Ear-muffs actually makes sense with the GT16 ;) 

Archived