Second hand GT16, interesting mix of highs and lows

4 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

It's not for everyone. The downsides are:

• The pedal rubber float over the rim of the metal, which gives a slightly mushy feel to the rim. This together with the damper silicone inlay under the pedal can make the pedals feel less than solid.
  • The screw that are supposed to secure the pedals in the upward position is a minimal allen screw right into the alu. It is ridiculously easy to strip the threads.
  • The design while looking very cool mean you have a very narrow knee-pad. It takes some getting used to it.
  • The shell would really benefit from some internal strengthening, as it is riding with one leg will lead to wheel scraping.
  • The beeper could be a lot louder, and the electronics a lot more silent.
  • There is no IP-classification for water resistance. Usually it is perfectly OK in bad weather, but there are no guarantees.

The upside?

• PPPPOOOOWERRRRR (insert Jeremy Clarksson voice here)
  • Agility
  • FUN!
  • Nice price.

I don't need a "daily" wheel so the water proofing is not an issue to me.

Currently riding an mten3, so I'm used to narrow wheels I guess.

I can't ride with one leg, so no shell issues there :lol: 

Worst case I'll 3d print some new pedals. What could possibly go wrong :lol: 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I nearly pulled the trigger on a Gotway MSuper X, but then again, having never ridden a wheel of that size, maybe it wouldn't be the best of ideas :D 

I go to bloody AliXpress at least every other day and hover over the "add to cart" button on the MSX... ;) 

On 6/8/2018 at 6:19 PM, Scatcat said:

Which color did you order?

Red, but apparently there are 2 reds. Shiny red and matte red.

I didn't really notice I ordered the shiny one. Changed my order to matte and got a second charger thrown in FOC.

Wheel should be shipped tomorrow.

This is an e-mail notification to inform you that your order .xxxxxx has been shipped by the seller on 2018.06.12 18:44. You are advised to contact the seller for shipment information.

Guess now we just have to wait anywhere between 1 and 7 weeks? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 9:08 AM, ir_fuel said:

Guess now we just have to wait anywhere between 1 and 7 weeks? :lol:

Exactly 2 weeks later the UPS guy delivers a big box with ROCKWHEEL on the outside ?

2 hours ago, DarthPeter said:

Are there any noticeable quality fails?

Found one. The paintwork on the trolley handle is incredibly bad. It's painted by someone who did this for the first time it seems. 

1884357239_File27-06-2018174147.thumb.png.6956a8bdfdd1ff61e5b72f54ca8f0a2e.png

52 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Found one. The paintwork on the trolley handle is incredibly bad. It's painted by someone who did this for the first time it seems. 

1884357239_File27-06-2018174147.thumb.png.6956a8bdfdd1ff61e5b72f54ca8f0a2e.png

If its all... Well I can live with this kind of flaw. I hope You'll enjoy yours new wheel ?

2 hours ago, DarthPeter said:

If its all... Well I can live with this kind of flaw. I hope You'll enjoy yours new wheel ?

Just had a look up close while inflating the tire (pretty easy with that much of the wheel exposed). The shell is pretty bad quality. Don't look too close because you will for sure see the quality flaws in manufacturing/painting. From a normal distance all looks fine though. Now, I knew up front from reading here that it wasn't going to be the best wheel when it came to looks and details, so I don't really care.

The rubber pedals are ok. Just did a few 3km trips without issues, and the rubber doesn't bother me. They provided grip tape to stick on the pedals, but I don't think I will bother as I don't want to ride in the rain anyway (I don't commute).

I set the double beep at 32km/h, triple at 35km/h, final alarm and tiltback at 40km/h. 

For now I was hitting 35 regularly, and that's more than enough. It actually feels less stable than my Mten3. Just shows how we get used to our wheels :) 

I'm not going to ride this thing (and I didn't) without my motorcycle jacket though. And hopefully from tomorrow or Friday onwards with my full face helmet too. This is starting to go pretty fast. Still feeling a bit stressed out after that crash last year, when going over imperfections in the road, although this wheel should be a lot more powerful than the V8 I crashed with.

The mounting of the trolley is also pretty interesting. The plastic on the inside of the shell just gets pushed out while screwing, and there are 2 holes missing in the shell (top on one side). I only used the holes that were there but I must say it works very well. 

A small test. First time I used this drone. Wanted to try the auto follow mode, but wasn't very confident in doing so, hence me checking where it was from time to time. 

Not much interesting stuff to see tbh :) 

:popcorn::thumbup:  Nice GT16 and drone footage.  Super crisp.  What drone setup are you using?  I've been trying to convince my EUC sports personality client to get one, but the guy is hesitant.  :rolleyes:  It would really take his videos to the next level, but nope I'm meeting some pretty fierce resistance.  :pooping:  Maybe the sexy lure of 4K drone video might be enough to entice him.

BTW when did Belgium become the new Iowa of Europe?  You're in Belgium, right?

On 6/27/2018 at 8:54 PM, ir_fuel said:

Just had a look up close while inflating the tire (pretty easy with that much of the wheel exposed). The shell is pretty bad quality. Don't look too close because you will for sure see the quality flaws in manufacturing/painting. From a normal distance all looks fine though. Now, I knew up front from reading here that it wasn't going to be the best wheel when it came to looks and details, so I don't really care.

The rubber pedals are ok. Just did a few 3km trips without issues, and the rubber doesn't bother me. They provided grip tape to stick on the pedals, but I don't think I will bother as I don't want to ride in the rain anyway (I don't commute).

I set the double beep at 32km/h, triple at 35km/h, final alarm and tiltback at 40km/h. 

For now I was hitting 35 regularly, and that's more than enough. It actually feels less stable than my Mten3. Just shows how we get used to our wheels :) 

I'm not going to ride this thing (and I didn't) without my motorcycle jacket though. And hopefully from tomorrow or Friday onwards with my full face helmet too. This is starting to go pretty fast. Still feeling a bit stressed out after that crash last year, when going over imperfections in the road, although this wheel should be a lot more powerful than the V8 I crashed with.

The mounting of the trolley is also pretty interesting. The plastic on the inside of the shell just gets pushed out while screwing, and there are 2 holes missing in the shell (top on one side). I only used the holes that were there but I must say it works very well. 

There were two holes missing in my shell too. QC anyone? :D
I drilled the holes with a 0.8mm drill, worked like a charm.

Add the grip tape, that is my recommendation. Before you know it you'll do tight turns at high speed, and you DON'T want to slip with the bottom foot when you do.

My own alarms are set to: 40/42/44 kph with tilt-back at 44kph.

At lower charges I sometimes get 80% warnings. And there is tilt-back there too if you try to ignore them... :) 

9 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I didn't have the hole either, it must be an error in their mould. too expensive and of little importance to fix it, I guess (well, someone could have just drilled all the holes by hand before painting the shell if they cared...). Anyhow, the screws attached with my handle were too big for the holes, so I had to drill them all a bit bigger anyway.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:00 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:popcorn::thumbup:  Nice GT16 and drone footage.  Super crisp.  What drone setup are you using?

DJI Mavic Air.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:00 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

BTW when did Belgium become the new Iowa of Europe?  You're in Belgium, right?

No, I am in Iowa :)  j/k

This is about 3km from where I live. (Well actually when looking outside my window it's about the same view :D )

13 hours ago, Keith said:

They are not called “The Low Countries” for nothing ? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Countries

I'm in the higher part (I live in the French speaking part, but I am Flemish). We have got quite some hills around here. Not like "de polders" in Flanders/Holland.

On 6/29/2018 at 1:44 PM, Scatcat said:

I drilled the holes with a 0.8mm drill, worked like a charm.

Add the grip tape, that is my recommendation. Before you know it you'll do tight turns at high speed, and you DON'T want to slip with the bottom foot when you do.

My own alarms are set to: 40/42/44 kph with tilt-back at 44kph.

At lower charges I sometimes get 80% warnings. And there is tilt-back there too if you try to ignore them... :) 

That's pretty fast. I constantly hit my 32km/h alarm, and sometimes my 35km/h. Never hit the 40km/h tiltback yet.

Archived