Second hand GT16, interesting mix of highs and lows

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

@Scatcat Nice!

Just broke 1km here on my early March '17 shipment GT16, and I concur, no major issues here. (just minor ones, like how I need to DIY the pedals to stay folded).

Yes, it is interesting there is no retaining system other than friction against the shell...

BTW what kind of battery performance do you get?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to take the EUC apart again. Some dirt or junk had stuck in the wheel and I couldn't get it out whatever I did, It made the wheel squeeeeek at every revolution. I took the opportunity to dremel some irregularities in the cooling fins. Hopefully getting rid of the last noises it can make from time to time when I lean hard, as the tire touches the fin.

I just have to show a pic:

cables.thumb.jpg.cca5b599e53083609a2e33fa2d6e2061.jpg

To the lower right are the cables from the motor, to the left the cables from the board - the difference is hilarious.

Overall this is one of the crappy parts of GT16, see the little hole on the board part to the lower left? There are holes of the same type in the shell. One into the microscopic compartment you can see on the right part, and one from there to the battery compartment. Some cables are long enough, others too short. connectors are almost bigger than the hole you're supposed to thread them through. The biggest part of working with this wheel is trying to get the cables where they're supposed to go...

Needless to say, I have to have the soldering iron handy, because it is ridiculously easy to snap some copper when you try to thread a connector through the holes.

The end result looks like a can of worms...

Get real Rockwheel. If the motor comes with those flimsy cables, it is up to you to remedy the situation. Use connectors that fit through the holes and PLEASE don't use too short cables... Next time, don't make the shell into some kind of labyrinth game.

---

Well, at least the wheel works again, and the squeeking is gone for now. Also my new padding came today, so I put that on too. I expect tomorrows ride will be more comfortable than I'm used to. :)

3 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I had to take the EUC apart again. Some dirt or junk had stuck in the wheel and I couldn't get it out whatever I did, It made the wheel squeeeeek at every revolution. I took the opportunity to dremel some irregularities in the cooling fins. Hopefully getting rid of the last noises it can make from time to time when I lean hard, as the tire touches the fin.

I just have to show a pic:

cables.thumb.jpg.cca5b599e53083609a2e33fa2d6e2061.jpg

To the lower right are the cables from the motor, to the left the cables from the board - the difference is hilarious.

Overall this is one of the crappy parts of GT16, see the little hole on the board part to the lower left? There are holes of the same type in the shell. One into the microscopic compartment you can see on the right part, and one from there to the battery compartment. Some cables are long enough, others too short. connectors are almost bigger than the hole you're supposed to thread them through. The biggest part of working with this wheel is trying to get the cables where they're supposed to go...

Needless to say, I have to have the soldering iron handy, because it is ridiculously easy to snap some copper when you try to thread a connector through the holes.

The end result looks like a can of worms...

Get real Rockwheel. If the motor comes with those flimsy cables, it is up to you to remedy the situation. Use connectors that fit through the holes and PLEASE don't use too short cables... Next time, don't make the shell into some kind of labyrinth game.

---

Well, at least the wheel works again, and the squeeking is gone for now. Also my new padding came today, so I put that on too. I expect tomorrows ride will be more comfortable than I'm used to. :)

I guess Gotway isn't the only manufacturer with cabling issues

On 2017-06-30 at 2:33 AM, Marty Backe said:

I guess Gotway isn't the only manufacturer with cabling issues

Nope.

The gauge of the motor cables are not as heavy as the other cables, same thing for the hall-sensor cables. Also a bit worrying is the isolation on the cables, which doesn't seem to be the more resilient kind. The cables from the board and from the batteries are much better.

Also, apart from thinner gauge, the motor-wires seem to have fewer and thicker strands. I broke the crimps on three of the hall-sensor cables when trying to thread them through the mess. Since I didn't have spares or the relevant crimping tools, I had to solder them in place. That works too, but is irritating - soldering very thin cables into very small crimping connectors is not my favourite past-time. It is very easy to get too much solder into the connection, displacing the pins.

Well, got it right anyways. Had to redo one but two turned out right on the first try.

• 4 months later...

Is there someone that knows as I can re-calibrate pedals of Rockwheel gt16 v2?

it seems they are too up also in playing mode.

i noticed also that the total mileage doesn’t work on Darknessbot app and Rockwheel app.

maybe it needs an hard reset but I don’t know I can do it :(

1 hour ago, Francesco Finqui Tuttobene said:

Is there someone that knows as I can re-calibrate pedals of Rockwheel gt16 v2?

From what I recall, you should: 1.Put the wheel in the desired neutral position (I made it lean a bit backwards). 2. Keep the power button pressed until the wheel starts beeping continuously and 3. Press the power button again.

59 minutes ago, Tomek said:

From what I recall, you should: 1.Put the wheel in the desired neutral position (I made it lean a bit backwards). 2. Keep the power button pressed until the wheel starts beeping continuously and 3. Press the power button again.

Yessss...

Personally I want mine totally neutral, so I hitch it up on blocks to make sure it is totally level before I do the calibration. So far I've only had to do it twice.

I have a problem:

i have all leds turn on and i cannot turn off the Rockwheel.

the device sounded 3 times and after that it seems ready but the wheel doesn’t go :(

i tried to press again the turn on botton without results.

53270519874__9A56F310-38A0-4632-BCE5-95FC5A929627.MOV

52 minutes ago, Francesco Finqui Tuttobene said:

In addition on that : Rockwheel app connect the wheel but the app doesn’t show any info and if I try to change mode it says the device is illegal 

If you could turn it on, it's probably not the button itself, but rather the control board. The message from the app also seem to point at a faulty board. Personally I would contact the seller immediately and show them the video and your description of the error.

Who sold it to you?

4 hours ago, Francesco Finqui Tuttobene said:

I fixed everything disconnecting the battery!

do you know the default angulation in the playing mode? 

Default angulation? I'm not sure I follow?

4 hours ago, Francesco Finqui Tuttobene said:

I fixed everything disconnecting the battery!

do you know the default angulation in the playing mode? 

Did it reset by just disconnecting and connecting the battery?

12 hours ago, Francesco Finqui Tuttobene said:

Exactly. I have just the same problem that the app doesn’t track the total mileage:(

If you have android I recommend Wheelog, it is sooo much better than the Rockwheel app. The only thing I use the Rw-app for are modes.

I have darknessbot and it worked before. 

I noticed that the real kilometers showed are about 300 instead of 700 and they don’t increase anymore :( also in Rockwheel app.

really strange.

anyway the single mileage every time begins from zero. Before I need to restart it

and last point: the remaining kilometers are 140 on full charge battery. Before were 81 with 1036wh battery.

mah!

• 6 months later...

Ok, screw it...

With my Tesla never arriving, the order of my Inmotion V10F being delayed until ... well... who knows, I just ordered a 1036Wh GT16 in red on Aliexpress.

We'll see what that gives.

Hopefully I'll have at least one decently sized wheel before the end of the summer ?

36 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Ok, screw it...

With my Tesla never arriving, the order of my Inmotion V10F being delayed until ... well... who knows, I just ordered a 1036Wh GT16 in red on Aliexpress.

We'll see what that gives.

Hopefully I'll have at least one decently sized wheel before the end of the summer ?

It's not for everyone. The downsides are:

• The pedal rubber float over the rim of the metal, which gives a slightly mushy feel to the rim. This together with the damper silicone inlay under the pedal can make the pedals feel less than solid.
  • The screw that are supposed to secure the pedals in the upward position is a minimal allen screw right into the alu. It is ridiculously easy to strip the threads.
  • The design while looking very cool mean you have a very narrow knee-pad. It takes some getting used to it.
  • The shell would really benefit from some internal strengthening, as it is riding with one leg will lead to wheel scraping.
  • The beeper could be a lot louder, and the electronics a lot more silent.
  • There is no IP-classification for water resistance. Usually it is perfectly OK in bad weather, but there are no guarantees.

The upside?

• PPPPOOOOWERRRRR (insert Jeremy Clarksson voice here)
  • Agility
  • FUN!
  • Nice price.

48 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I just ordered a 1036Wh GT16 in red on Aliexpress.

I have always not-so-secretly coveted a GT16. Best looking wheel until the Z10 and hopefully someday the GT18.

Archived