After i5, S5 is coming

Gabriel

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:dribble:  Finally!  Dual hub drive... my wishes have been answered!  :innocent1:  Kinda looks that way, but the specifications aren't very impressive if they are using a dual stator setup?  :blink:  Maybe it's better for torque or something?  It just seems to make it more complicated than it needs to be just to go 30 kph?

If it is true, it is real redundancy.

Face plant due to failure of one of the system will be avoided. At least will be enough power for safely slow down and unmounting.

But only if the two systems are reliable. 

I was really excited about the s5 and I'm a bit skeptical...

It's kinda wide; part of what I love about the i5 is how it's barely wider than its 1.5" tire. And if it's a dual stator design built into the shell in the style of the i5, then both sides are exposed instead of just one like on the i5.

Also I don't like the lights. It's yet another step away from the subtle sleekness that made the i5 unique, it looks like an early-generation ninebot. 

I have a 200wh luffy and a 240wh i5, and I'd say they're in very similar "classes" in terms of range, hill-climb, top speed, and ease-of-carrying. The s5 should therefore compete with the mten3, and offer the same dramatically thin profile; otherwise it's a low-range, low-speed "mid-sized" unicycle in the age of the ACM2 and Kingsong S-series, with presumably exposed stators on both sides, and doesn't even capitalize on the thin profile that  compromise enables. 

I also was excited, but after rethinking I found that it is not so existing. What happens if the system power is 80% is and one of the two circuits fail? Another has to sustain 160% of its rated power. If it is not over engineered two times, it will fail too.

10 hours ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

I also was excited, but after rethinking I found that it is not so existing. What happens if the system power is 80% is and one of the two circuits fail? Another has to sustain 160% of its rated power. If it is not over engineered two times, it will fail too.

one system can work over its rated power for a short time. We only need about 1 min to safely react to warning alarm to be safe.

16 hours ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

If it is true, it is real redundancy.

Face plant due to failure of one of the system will be avoided. At least will be enough power for safely slow down and unmounting.

But only if the two systems are reliable. 

Well, you better doubt on it, because usually if the board fails (MOSFET burnt or chip died) then the motor is blocked by the short circuit which will prevent the second motor to balance you out. Even if there is no short circuit block wheel loses 50% of power immediately which theoretically may cause momentary balancing issues which will be enough to fall. Just assuming.

17 hours ago, WaveCut said:

Well, you better doubt on it, because usually if the board fails (MOSFET burnt or chip died) then the motor is blocked by the short circuit which will prevent the second motor to balance you out. Even if there is no short circuit block wheel loses 50% of power immediately which theoretically may cause momentary balancing issues which will be enough to fall. Just assuming.

That is what I was thinking too... Building true redundancy into a unicycle will be very difficult!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 3:18 PM, PriestHood said:

My guess is that the shell is week in the Area where the air plug is. That is exactly where crack is on the opposite sides.

I said I do not do tricks or jumps. Who knows what happened. Maybe I hit a curb and don't remember.

Did love the wheel though. It is Perfect for commute!

Hope the update to i5 is coming soon.

cracked shell 2 iPS i5.jpg

Never even seen any IPS and have got no idea about material choices, but in general looking at a wheel I would say they use alloys and not particularly clean alloys at that, of course going "dirty" and brittle is cheap as it gets and I highly doubt the Chinese making these wheel hub packages thinking expenses pain go for it, more in the lines of "good enough" and rest is just a long sail towards maximum profits but hey that's just me so? I do however work with metals for a living and there most def a way of doing it better hands down, if anything it should give in not crack but that's all up to materials and manufacturing processes, going very high rate of clean aluminum and magnesium alloys cost money and the idea I think is to manufacture and sell cheap while making a profit in the process.

If rim is still straight and crack is not too open you could always have someone tig it for you, they would have to be quite a the tig welder though, a real pro not just any guy claiming he can do it. A new one all together is by far the best choice though and even with such a fine welding method as tig using as little filler as possible it could still create some balancing issues for a few reasons.

On 2/11/2018 at 3:18 PM, PriestHood said:

Maybe the new one using a thicker rim and thereby a bit tougher?

Either way I like this concept for commuting and sitting down on the train the wheel can hide under my knees, calf and heal securing it and take no space at all, even standing up when people all over bumping into each other this is small enough to stand straight and wheel between my knees like I do the ACM today. Only the ACM is a bit bulky and I stand wider still taking a bit of space up where there is none to be taken quite frankly.

Looked the Mten3 before but too thick for this specific task I suspect + small 10" might be though riding the last bit on and not exactly a flat nice road, but maybe doable? Not sure must do research and saw the s5 is 15kg and no longer the handy 7.5kg on offer from the i5, but I am a bit heavy too so..

Interesting, wish there was one in between the 2 at max 10kg, 300-400Wh and no discotheque lights just a though shell made to handle punishment.

The I5 was a terrific idea that never really made it in practice. I bought one and immediately broke the shell trying to go into a driveway that had a two inch shelf that cracked the bottom of the shell.

That was only cosmetic and it didnt ruin the ride at all. However when it started turning on in my backpack while I was walking around I tried to glue a cover over the power switch and wound up glueing it in the off position. Then I got it to turn on, but couldnt get it to turn off.

it is still in pieces on a shelf in my Warehouse.

i will be looking forward to the S1 if it ever make it to market. 

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of comments about what if half the system fails at 80%, and other such worrying. The IPS line was the first to use 12 mosfets as a standard part of their boards. Heat failure on the 60V with 12 mosfets should be extremely rare anywhere but the Mojave or Death Valley. I think the tires would melt first. ?

We will have to see if their firmware keeps pace with their architecture. I have mine ordered already so I am ready to see. ?

What is the wattage of the two motors? 500 watts each? 300 watts each? On the IPS website it says max wattage 1000 watts, and on the Japanese website linked above (taotao?) it says max wattage 1000-1500.

The top speed is in line with an 800 watt motor wheel, and the repeated claims of great torque and hill climbing are impressive, I'm just wondering what this wheel would compare to. Probably a KS-14D/S or something, I'm guessing.

32 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

The top speed is in line with an 800 watt motor wheel, and the repeated claims of great torque and hill climbing are impressive, I'm just wondering what this wheel would compare to. Probably a KS-14D/S or something, I'm guessing.

I am even thinking the V8 and Mten3 middle area as well as those you listed. I am guessing it is for those who want a more portable mid distance wheel they can toss in a car and possibly not always comit to ride. I plan on doing mostly park and side street riding. I am anxious to see how it performs offroad.

The IPS T350 had an amazing amount of torque and went up every hill in my area as well at the mten3 or the ks14c 800watt. The i5 is so thin, its just amusing to ride something like it. This will have a fatter tire at 2.15” width but the body looks like a Samsonite suitcase! Its adorable. I want one in butterscotch. It is very slim as well, so 

Archived