After i5, S5 is coming

Gabriel

IPS i5 has just been officially announced 

Tony lee just confirmed it to me that another model, called S5, is coming for July of this year 

no specs at the moment but it looks bigger, (hopefully more powerful) and seems to have a similar casing to the i5

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
On 5/23/2017 at 10:11 PM, PriestHood said:

Yes. Just a little more power, and battery would be ideal.

So long as weight and form factor are kept fairly close to the i5. For me, this machine is just as much about on-wheel as off-wheel handling. My biggest concern is the power button and its protrusion that, without modification, will easily turn on the wheel inside your bag!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an Update:

I've had the wheel now for a few months. Form factor is Perfect. Power is good. Build is good. Pedals are solid. Only issue is the protruding power button. I have pressed it by mistake numerous times. This needs to be addressed. Hopefully, the new model will have a recessed power button. It Really is portable. Easy to carry. Because it is so slim. It is next to your body. But, it is a little heavy. With the thin handle, one cannot carry for more than 15min. before the weight begins to pull your fingers apart. I will definitely buy the newer model one year from now. Hopefully more speed, torque, & a little more range. We still wanna keep the weight low.

On 2.10.2017 at 9:20 AM, Snurre said:

My biggest concern is the power button and its protrusion that, without modification, will easily turn on the wheel inside your bag!

When I first read about the criticism of the i5 on/off switch, I was like "Ohhh, nooo, IPS, please don't change my beloved power button!" :efee78d764:

I just love that one swift motion to grab the i5 by the handle, put it to the ground and power it up in one go.

Coming to think about it: the only reason, I don't experience your "unwanted turn-on's" (sorry, couldn't resist...), is my fairly unique way of using it. My i5 practically lives in the spare tire compartment with a solid lid protecting it from anything, that could push the power button. And of course I have to agree: A self-starting wheel when transported in a bag is a No-No! 

Somehow, that effect sounded familiar :confused1: ... :smartass::

switch_lock.thumb.jpg.c8e54d319652f4524fd0dda734d39732.jpg

So, on second thought: "IPS, please steal that idea" and give us a lockable power button! See, you don't even have to invent it. And if you're looking for a new challenge for those idling brain cells: how about a mechanism, that flips open the pedals with power on and closes them with power off ??? 

4 hours ago, Tilmann said:

My i5 practically lives in the spare tire compartment with a solid lid protecting it from anything

That makes two of us: precisely the way I have it most of the time. Good idea and perhaps ideal with the razor lock. I was considering a simple modification in the form of a short piece of pipe with a flange that could be glued on, enclosing the button but still accessible with your thumb. This probably lends itself well to a 3D-printer so I plan to talk to my friend, the mechanical engineer.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WaveCut said:

two wheeled, 14" wheel is not what we expected.... dissapointment

Two wheels??? What the heck? there you see that these guys are no euc riders themself.

However made that decision...has no clue from Euc riding whatsoever!

Sure thing, looking at it from the sunny side of the EUC learning curve, any 2-wheeler looks underwhelming. 

I just trained 3 more colleagues EUC riding. Her_Chyn.thumb.jpg.7c6a9f81d8fc925fa5942a29d14fbbd9.jpg

One got it within minutes, another one challenged his frustration tolerance for hours in multiple sessions before he got the hang of it (funny: it "clicked" when he finally tried the Monster), the third one is still fighting for basic balance. For the latter two, I wish I had one of those inmotion V3 double wheeled trainers at hand.  Alex ( @EWheelMotion ) uses them to train newbies and the reward is an almost instant success experience.

Agreed, most EUC newbies will outgrow any 2-wheeler fairly soon - but didn't most of us "veterans" give in to the evolving urge for "better, faster, longer" as soon as budget allowed? 

Transiting from a double-wheel EUC to a "real" one comes pretty natural - no comparison to those silly you-don't-learn-anything-training-wheels you can screw to the pedals of cheap generics.

In Germany, the biggest barrier to EUC mass acceptance may be the silly policy to outlaw anything local traffic laws don't recognize. In more EUC tolerant countries, I bet the steep learning curve ahead is the biggest obstacle. That said, the IPS design decision for a (hopefully) state of the art double-wheeler may not be such a short sighted choice.

Personal positive side effect: ever since buying the i5, I was secretly concerned, I might instantly regret my purchase decision when the s5 comes out. Not so anymore :P

• 2 months later...
On November 11, 2017 at 2:57 AM, KingSong69 said:

Two wheels??? What the heck? there you see that these guys are no euc riders themself.

However made that decision...has no clue from Euc riding whatsoever!

I dont see the two wheels from that pic. It could just as easily be a higher pedal higher range and speed with a fatter tire EUC with a light frame. Looks a lot like a more angular Mten3.

Seems to me that they are going with the i5 design on steroids for the S5 from this pic. That is a sophisticated looking case. :rolleyes:

just went to electricunicycles.eu and got this information from them from May 17 2017

Not much has been unveiled regarding the new IPS S5. This model should also be made from magnesium alloys. The whole design will be similar, with one, major difference. The IPS S5 will be a 16" electric unicycle, which - except the larger tyre diameter - will be equipped with higher capacity Panasonic batteries and more powerful electric motor. For sure it will weight more than I5, however we can expect it to be a great competition, in terms of the weight, to other 16-inch wheels. It has to be reminded that 16" electric unicycles are usually heavier than fourteens. 

The IPS S5 electric unicycle will be released a bit later than the I5, and will become the company's new flagship. It is a sport version, focused on performance. Once we know the details, we will post them here immediately!

:clap3: So the excitement goes on. I will be doing a video review of the i5 later next week.

Not actually, I am no official representative for IPS but they are still doing R&D for something better (can't expose their business plans and research further though) and they are still active in both sales and development.

8 hours ago, IPS Malta said:

they are still doing R&D for something better and they are still active in both sales and development.

I truly hope so. I don't know how. But, I cracked my iPS i5 motor shell. After opening. I was urprised to find out it was made entirely of plastic. I only used it to get to public transportation. No jumps, tricks, nothing. They better make the Next one steel, aluminum, or something, but NOT plastic! I wasted $700.:angry:

The i5 shell is made of Aluminium. The internal plastics are only meant to protect from dirt, water splashes to the circuity and the battery. Did you manage to figure out what caused to crack? pictures would be helpful to figure out how a motor shell can crack.

It is not designed for jumps or tricks but for commuting and it's specifically written on the manual.

2 hours ago, IPS Malta said:

pictures would be helpful to figure out how a motor shell can crack.

It is not designed for jumps or tricks but for commuting and it's specifically written on the manual.

My guess is that the shell is week in the Area where the air plug is. That is exactly where crack is on the opposite sides.

I said I do not do tricks or jumps. Who knows what happened. Maybe I hit a curb and don't remember.

Did love the wheel though. It is Perfect for commute!

Hope the update to i5 is coming soon.

cracked shell 2 iPS i5.jpg

Let them know about that crack at iamips.com . They will be back after the 22nd CNY, and they will be able to do an exchange if its under warranty. I inquired about different shell covers a week ago, and they informed me of the Chinese New Year break, and that they would help me after the new year.

It is a fantastic wheel! Goes up any hill! Really has a lot of torque for such a slim wedge of a EUC

@PriestHood, the crack looks bad but to assure you (and visible from the pictures) it is metal based and not plastic (I don't know if motors are in aluminium or other metals) could be it was slightly weaker at that point and doesn't sound like due to hitting a curb (at least from this side of the wheel and I would assume a flat tire before that crack with such damage).

I will get to IPS manufacture with regards but it is ideal that you also get to where you purchased the wheel. If my plans stay the same I should be visiting them in the coming weeks as I have to be nearby for other business.

I will message you personally for further details

• 3 months later...

Archived