New Monster Max Range Achieved - 95 Miles!

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

That's an expression, perhaps only used in engineering circles. It just means that the changes, if they exist, are so small as to be not noticeable.

Oh, ha ha!  You had me going for a minute.^_^

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-05-21 at 7:43 PM, Marty Backe said:

At 2400wh, that's 2.4kw. Assuming that the power brick is very inefficient, I'm going to assume that I use 4.8kw of power to charge. My electricity rates vary, but I'll say 20 cents per 1kw. So ~$1 to fully charge it.

Pretty good gas mileage ;)

Are you absolutely sure? I connected a wattmeter and it charges approx. 140-150 watts. I guess you need 2.8 kilowatts for the wheel to be fully charged.

12 minutes ago, THG said:

Are you absolutely sure? I connected a wattmeter and it charges approx. 140-150 watts. I guess you need 2.8 kilowatts for the wheel to be fully charged.

I was being very loose with my numbers, and conservative. It's good to have measured values - thanks!

You can't beat the 'gas mileage' that we get with our wheels.

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I was being very loose with my numbers, and conservative. It's good to have measured values - thanks!

You can't beat the 'gas mileage' that we get with our wheels.

It's just a shame that I can not use the wheel all year long because of snow. Otherwise, the electricity price is quite low where I live, about 10 cents per kilowatt hour. Usually, I only need to charge when the battery is consumed to 50 percent. It costs me about 10 cents per charge. ;)

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

What change in the noise:confused1:

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's an expression, perhaps only used in engineering circles. It just means that the changes, if they exist, are so small as to be not noticeable.

Engineering noise demands a solid understanding of the fundamentals of acoustics, the practical application of current noise control technology and the underlying theoretical concepts.;)

6 minutes ago, THG said:

It's just a shame that I can not use the wheel all year long because of snow. Otherwise, the electricity price is quite low where I live, about 10 cents per kilowatt hour. Usually, I only need to charge when the battery is consumed to 50 percent. It costs me about 10 cents per charge. ;)

We all have positives and negatives to where we live. Our weather is mostly beautiful year round, but California has some of the highest electricity costs in the country :crying:

2013-electricity-prices-map-front.png

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

Engineering noise demands a solid understanding of the fundamentals of acoustics, the practical application of current noise control technology and the underlying theoretical concepts.;)

You're scaring me :cry2:

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

We all have positives and negatives to where we live. Our weather is mostly beautiful year round, but California has some of the highest electricity costs in the country :crying:

It appears your electric rates are tied with NY but their year round weather does not even come close to CA! Look at Alaska. Same high rates! Why? Is there are surcharge placed on their rates in the form of taxes?

Edit: I just found out why Alaska's electrical rates are going up: https://www.adn.com/business-economy/energy/2017/03/21/large-rate-spike-on-latest-mlp-electric-bills-draws-opposition/

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You're scaring me :cry2:

Just an expression possibly used on the forum to BS people!:P

11 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

It appears your electric rates are tied with NY but their year round weather does not even come close to CA! Look at Alaska. Same high rates! Why? Is there are surcharge placed on their rates in the form of taxes?

Edit: I just found out why Alaska's electrical rates are going up: https://www.adn.com/business-economy/energy/2017/03/21/large-rate-spike-on-latest-mlp-electric-bills-draws-opposition/

That Alaska story is scary.

Everything is expensive in California. I assume the electricity rates are so high because of burdensome regulations, taxes, the desire (mandated) to go green with everything. The rates are only going to go up because all of the utilities are required to generate X amount of the power from renewables.

For me and my wife our winter electricity rates are averaging $350/month. From July through October our costs are ~$800/month. Our rates are tiered, so once you start running air conditioning we can be paying 30 cents a kilowatt hour.

But the weather is nice

3 hours ago, THG said:

Is the snow deep where you live?  I've seen videos of people riding in snow before.  Not foot deep snow of course ...

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yup, I sometimes paid more in Los Angeles for power in a modest apartment with no air conditioner and in which I never used the heat -- almost 30 years ago -- than I do now to live in a well-insulated house in Oregon where we get snow in the winter and 100 degree summers, and use air/heat all the time.  

Wow! Just wow! :shock2: That's fantastic mileage.

I wonder if it would be worth setting the tilt back around 15 mph to help keep the speed in check or if that would add to the drain? As you said 15 mph is still enjoyable and really comfortable on the Monster too.

I haven't been out on mine much since getting it as either we haven't had the weather or my wife has been in work and my kids haven't fancied going for a ride. I'm literally still only on my second charge. I've been using my ACM for work and keep thinking about using the Monster but it's soo big lol It would fit under my desk, in the office, but not discretely. :) 

Anyway it's meant to be nice this week and get warmer as the week progresses so I'm hoping to get out. 

7 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

What with road dirt in the tires, would it even be clean enough to bring in the office?

I have a barrier mat under my desk. If my ACM is wet/dirty it's fine because it stands on that and not the carpet. I've been riding to work since getting my Ninebot a couple of years ago. There hasn't been a day yet where I haven't been able to ride in and only one day that I couldn't ride home due to rain turning the snow to slush.

41 minutes ago, TremF said:

Wow! Just wow! :shock2: That's fantastic mileage.

I wonder if it would be worth setting the tilt back around 15 mph to help keep the speed in check or if that would add to the drain? As you said 15 mph is still enjoyable and really comfortable on the Monster too.

I haven't been out on mine much since getting it as either we haven't had the weather or my wife has been in work and my kids haven't fancied going for a ride. I'm literally still only on my second charge. I've been using my ACM for work and keep thinking about using the Monster but it's soo big lol It would fit under my desk, in the office, but not discretely. :) 

Anyway it's meant to be nice this week and get warmer as the week progresses so I'm hoping to get out. 

Hopefully you're due for a few months of nice weather now.

You know how they say the EUC batteries are good for at least ~500 cycles. I think that means the Monster batteries will last forever ;)  Even with a conservative 60 mile range that's 30,000 miles!

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Hopefully you're due for a few months of nice weather now.

You know how they say the EUC batteries are good for at least ~500 cycles. I think that means the Monster batteries will last forever ;)  Even with a conservative 60 mile range that's 30,000 miles!

It's definitely getting warmer at least which helps. I can't wait to get out on some decent rides and not have to worry about running out of battery!

My girls are possibly doing a sponsored 40 mile bike ride and will start training for it soon. My ACM wouldn't keep up with that range but the Monster will hehe The only question is whether or not I can though if I can get used to the seat then it will make things a little easier.

Wow at the batteries lasting forever! Once I get the case changed I'm going to be using the Monster for luxury cruising so, hopefully, the new case lasts as long as the batteries. I still need to find some sort of rubber strip to edge it with in case of any little bumps or scrapes. I'm looking at something like this

Share your seat impressions in detail please.  I am hoping to be able to use the seat on my MSuper ... but I don't know if it's the same one as the Monster's.  They look the same, but the tops of the machines look a bit different, so ... anyway I'm just curious.

I've got scoliosis so a seat has always been a major selling point to me.

3 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Share your seat impressions in detail please.  I am hoping to be able to use the seat on my MSuper ... but I don't know if it's the same one as the Monster's.  They look the same, but the tops of the machines look a bit different, so ... anyway I'm just curious.

I've got scoliosis so a seat has always been a major selling point to me.

Looking at the MSuper seat on Speedy Feet it looks the same as the Monster one unless Ian just used the same images for both.

At the moment I am struggling to get low enough while riding to sit on the Monster. I'm not sure I'd manage to get down further with the MSuper. If I can't get used to it, while riding, then the main thing is I'll be able to stop and sit on the Monster whenever I need to rather than stopping and standing or not stopping until I can find somewhere to sit.

I want some of this, up to, 90 miles Marty has had!  :w00t2: 

I'm setting my sights low on mileage, since I live around so many hills.  On the other hand, that's what drove me to buy the most powerful battery available for my model wheel.  I hope the two things balance each other out.  I could see myself being content with a moderate speed, so maybe they will?  Guess I'll find out ...

Good point on just using the seat to sit down on as a break during rides.  I hadn't really thought of using the machine as a stool or chair.  Probably beats sitting on wet grass, and it would be a good way to keep in close contact with the wheel around sketchy characters.

8 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Is the snow deep where you live?  I've seen videos of people riding in snow before.  Not foot deep snow of course ...

The snow depth varies from year to year, sometimes up to six feet deep. The snow depth is probably not the biggest issue, I see the cold as a major problem. Sometimes the temperature drops down to -30 ° F.

16 minutes ago, THG said:

The snow depth varies from year to year, sometimes up to six feet deep. The snow depth is probably not the biggest issue, I see the cold as a major problem. Sometimes the temperature drops down to -30 ° F.

Holy cow.  That's battery problems on a whole different level.

7 hours ago, TremF said:

Looking at the MSuper seat on Speedy Feet it looks the same as the Monster one unless Ian just used the same images for both.

At the moment I am struggling to get low enough while riding to sit on the Monster. I'm not sure I'd manage to get down further with the MSuper. If I can't get used to it, while riding, then the main thing is I'll be able to stop and sit on the Monster whenever I need to rather than stopping and standing or not stopping until I can find somewhere to sit.

I want some of this, up to, 90 miles Marty has had!  :w00t2: 

If you can ride 90 miles on a single ride or even the same day you will be the man to beat ;)  When I rode 65 miles one day I was dying by the end of the ride.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

If you can ride 90 miles on a single ride or even the same day you will be the man to beat ;)  When I rode 65 miles one day I was dying by the end of the ride.

I seriously doubt I'll be able to ride 90 miles in a day but it's good to know that it's possible and on most typical rides I won't run short of battery and have to watch for when I need to turn around and head home :) 

I have to say though that once the nice weather starts I am going to give the 90 miles in a day a damn good try :D I have a good route to try for it but in nice weather it will be full of pedestrians at points. The seat will def help for rest periods. Average 10-15 mph for 6-10 hours will be a good day out. :)  

1 hour ago, TremF said:

I seriously doubt I'll be able to ride 90 miles in a day but it's good to know that it's possible and on most typical rides I won't run short of battery and have to watch for when I need to turn around and head home :) 

I have to say though that once the nice weather starts I am going to give the 90 miles in a day a damn good try :D I have a good route to try for it but in nice weather it will be full of pedestrians at points. The seat will def help for rest periods. Average 10-15 mph for 6-10 hours will be a good day out. :)  

Not having range anxiety is a very big plus with the Monster :thumbup:

Archived