New Monster Max Range Achieved - 95 Miles!

When I first got my Monster, back in January, I took it for a range test within the first week or so. I achieved a range of 65 miles with 10% - 15% battery charge remaining. I remember thinking at the time that I should have gotten more miles from it, considering that it has a 2400wh battery.

But then I came to the realization that I was cruising at 20mph to 25mph much of the time. The Monster is so easy to ride fast that you can't help but do so. And riding fast dramatically affects range, and it's not linear.

Last Friday (May 19th) was Bike-to-Work day in the United States. So I thought I'd use that as an excuse and ride to work, which I've been wanting to do at least once. So that's what I did, hitting the road nice and early. My commute one way was 27 miles. 54 miles round-trip. Now here's the thing, my commute was not under ideal conditions, so most of my riding was 15mph or less. When I returned home my battery was slightly above 50 percent!  Wow.

So yesterday and today I continued riding the Monster but forcing myself to keep at ~15mph max. And let's face it, 15mph is still an enjoyable speed :)

I just got back from a pleasant 25 mile ride this Sunday morning, and my battery was at ~13% capacity.  My total mileage from one charge came out to 95 miles! My riding weight is ~170 pounds. For you metric fans, that's 152km and 77kg.

That's impressive for sure. By limiting myself to ~15mph I achieved 30 miles more range. That's ~45% more range by limiting my speed.

Just thought some of you might enjoy hearing about the range potential of the Monster, if you're not in big hurry.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

What's the cost to recharge your monster?

At 2400wh, that's 2.4kw. Assuming that the power brick is very inefficient, I'm going to assume that I use 4.8kw of power to charge. My electricity rates vary, but I'll say 20 cents per 1kw. So ~$1 to fully charge it.

Pretty good gas mileage ;)

23 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

One gives up before the wheels does. This is what is so awesome about big batteries!

How long did you need for your commute? Where did you go - roads, bike path, ...?

Almost 2-1/2 hours one-way. This is not something I'll do very often :)

I used my old bicycle route which is all wide roads. Maybe 5% of the route had a marked bicycle lane - typical for much of the Los Angeles area.

Besides the big battery, that 22-inch wheel is very comfy :thumbup:

Congratulations Marty ! That's some freaking long distance ! You made me want to try the max distance on the 1600Wh Monster, I'll try to keep the speed under 20kph, it will probably improve the range, I guesse somewhere between 110-120km.

You've proved that speed is a very important factor, even more than weight imo, I wonder what is the most efficient speed, the speed of the monster that will get you the best range...hoping it's not under 10kph because spending +11h on a EUC is very challenging :D

26 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Congratulations Marty ! That's some freaking long distance ! You made me want to try the max distance on the 1600Wh Monster, I'll try to keep the speed under 20kph, it will probably improve the range, I guesse somewhere between 110-120km.

You've proved that speed is a very important factor, even more than weight imo, I wonder what is the most efficient speed, the speed of the monster that will get you the best range...hoping it's not under 10kph because spending +11h on a EUC is very challenging :D

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to try a Monster range test at 10kph ;)

If you do get a chance to try a range test it would be great to get another data-point. Note that you can spread the test over multiple days. If I recall correctly you weigh a lot less than I do. Maybe that will even things out and you may get close to 150km too.

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to try a Monster range test at 10kph ;)

If you do get a chance to try a range test it would be great to get another data-point. Note that you can spread the test over multiple days. If I recall correctly you weigh a lot less than I do. Maybe that will even things out and you may get close to 150km too.

I usually want to do everything in one trip :D

I'm hooking up with a friend to travel at least 100km at see from there, I weight 60kg, but my Monster is the 1600Wh, from our trips around 15kph, it seems the range woud be 114km before reaching the 20%, but that's only guessing and there is no real proof of it.

Keeping the speed between 15kph & 20kph should give us the best range, but because you were averaging 24kph I would like to know if reducing our speed would get us close to your range :)

27 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

I usually want to do everything in one trip :D

I'm hooking up with a friend to travel at least 100km at see from there, I weight 60kg, but my Monster is the 1600Wh, from our trips around 15kph, it seems the range woud be 114km before reaching the 20%, but that's only guessing and there is no real proof of it.

Keeping the speed between 15kph & 20kph should give us the best range, but because you were averaging 24kph I would like to know if reducing our speed would get us close to your range :)

Looking forward to see your numbers :)

What's the worst real world mileage achievable by a non suicidal rider? Heavy rider, right speed, steep hill, start and stop...

A rider looking to buy any wheel could look at that and say, "well this is what I need and that wheel under the worst conditions will work."

2 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Jason has a chart on his site going into this.  He says;

"Beyond 30kph most of the expended energy is spent overcoming aerodynamic drag, or wind resistance"

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-gotway-msuper-3-18-820wh1600wh/

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

What's the worst real world mileage achievable by a non suicidal rider? Heavy rider, right speed, steep hill, start and stop...

A rider looking to buy any wheel could look at that and say, "well this is what I need and that wheel under the worst conditions will work."

Well, I'm a suicidal rider so I wouldn't be able to answer your question. :w00t2:

One thing that also may of been a contributing factor is the 'newness' of the batteries when you first got it. 

Around the R/C world, it's known that lipos don't usually achieve totally capacity until they've been fully charged around 10 - 15 times. 

Allen

2 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

One thing that also may of been a contributing factor is the 'newness' of the batteries when you first got it. 

Around the R/C world, it's known that lipos don't usually achieve totally capacity until they've been fully charged around 10 - 15 times. 

Allen

That would mean that the MSuper he is selling is at full capacity and the batteries have already been conditioned.:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, steve454 said:

That would mean that the MSuper he is selling is at full capacity and the batteries have already been conditioned.:ph34r:

Depends on how many total charge cycles are on it. 

(Also, this is a thread about the mileage he is getting on his Monster now. Don't see where the MSuper is relevant to this thread.) 

Allen

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

Allen

Doubtful. I have ~400 miles on the Monster and my mileage has been consistent, until Friday. Unless the battery performance changes via a step function it's strictly due to the speed. And frankly that makes sense when you look at the power curves vs air resistance. 

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Yes, my MSuper is a finally tuned machine at this point ;) It has 25 charge cycles and frankly I haven't noticed any change in range in the 6 months that I've owned it. If there's a change it's in the noise.

20 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, my MSuper is a finally tuned machine at this point ;) It has 25 charge cycles and frankly I haven't noticed any change in range in the 6 months that I've owned it. If there's a change it's in the noise.

What change in the noise:confused1:

3 minutes ago, steve454 said:

What change in the noise:confused1:

That's an expression, perhaps only used in engineering circles. It just means that the changes, if they exist, are so small as to be not noticeable.

Archived