Gotway MSuper V3 820 Wh: high freq. whining noise

Hello. 

Previously I had Ninebot One for 2 years, and I just received the MSuper V3. Before buying it I watched many reviews. Now I have a problem/question about it.

The wheel makes very high pitch high-frequency noise, almost like an ultrasound whistle. Here is a link to the video:

https://goo.gl/65cTrX

I asked about it the seller, and they say it's normal because of the high motor power. However, the noise is very annoying and is noticeable even outdoors. Is this indeed normal?

Please advice, much appreciate any help.

photo5262795540469491738.jpg

This is 100% normal. It's a 6 kHz or so sound (Android app "Advanced Spectrum Analyzer" let's you see details if you like), from some component of the power supply circuitry.

I was also worried about the high pitched whine (search for "whine" here and you'll find discussions) when I bought my first wheel (ACM, msuper V3 is slightly louder). But you get used to it, and during riding the wind noise drowns it out as well. Really, you'll only hear it when you think about it/remember it's there. Sure it would be nice if it wasn't there, but it really isn't a problem in the long term. At least for me, you'll have to know for yourself.

Yes, it's exactly 6.0 kHz. Thank you very much!!! I was waiting for 2 long months for the delivery and now was almost ready to send it back thinking that it's a defect in my specific wheel (((;

However, it's still very annoying, so I will read that topic you mentioned to see if there any solution to reduce this noise.  

You can't reduce the whining,but with wind noise, tire noise, environmental sounds you really don't notice until you remember it's there. It also blends in with the increasing motor sound, some even like the turbine-like sound. I hear and dislike high pitched noise very much (like cheap phone chargers, lamps, or whatever) but I really don't think it's a problem and would still have bought the same wheel again.

Can't judge if it is technically necessary or cheap components, but all high-powered wheels (Gotway, Kingsong) have that.

Here's my first thread here, it (among lots of other stuff) contains questions about the whine, I was worried about getting ACM due to the whine, but everybody says it's no problem (and they were right). And just search for "whine" (on the front page), lots of people asked about it.

By the way, there are more "mysterious" sounds that are ok and normal but might scare off a beginner:

• if you listen closely, you can hear a sand-like (like grinding sand)/electrical arcing/electrical buzzing sound coming from the wheel (stronger while the light is on). It's ok.
  • right when you go very slow/change direction, the wheel makes a grinding sound. Was first worried there was a mechanical defect/sand in theresomewhere, but it's just the discrete magnets making their appearance. It's also fine.

5 hours ago, serg said:

Hello. 

Previously I had Ninebot One for 2 years, and I just received the MSuper V3. Before buying it I watched many reviews. Now I have a problem/question about it.

The wheel makes very high pitch high-frequency noise, almost like an ultrasound whistle. Here is a link to the video:

https://goo.gl/65cTrX

I asked about it the seller, and they say it's normal because of the high motor power. However, the noise is very annoying and is noticeable even outdoors. Is this indeed normal?

Please advice, much appreciate any help.

photo5262795540469491738.jpg

Nice wheel!  The cat is looking at you like "what is he going to do with this new thing?" Ha Ha.  For the whine, you could use foam earplugs, they will minimize the noise but you will still be able to hear well enough to be safe around traffic and people.

4 hours ago, serg said:

Yes, it's exactly 6.0 kHz. Thank you very much!!! I was waiting for 2 long months for the delivery and now was almost ready to send it back thinking that it's a defect in my specific wheel (((;

However, it's still very annoying, so I will read that topic you mentioned to see if there any solution to reduce this noise.  

As you know now, it's normal.

I'm curious, you say that it's very annoying. Is this when you are actually riding it? Because unless I'm going really slow I can't hear anything from the wheel. The wind noise drowns out any sounds from the wheel.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

As you know now, it's normal.

I'm curious, you say that it's very annoying. Is this when you are actually riding it? Because unless I'm going really slow I can't hear anything from the wheel. The wind noise drowns out any sounds from the wheel.

Young people will be annoyed by this frequency. They can hear it very loudly compared to anyone after age 35. 

You could try to spray a rubber coating on the motor hub case. You can find it in the auto paint department. It's advertised for noice dampening. Also that infomercial rubber seal spray should work. You only need to do the motor covers. Comes in Black and Tan. I would use black. 

1 minute ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Young people will be annoyed by this frequency. They can hear it very loudly compared to anyone after age 35. 

You could try to spray a rubber coating on the motor hub case. You can find it in the auto paint department. It's advertised for noice dampening. Also that infomercial rubber seal spray should work. You only need to do the motor covers. Comes in Black and Tan. I would use black. 

Finally, an advantage to old age!

58 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Finally, an advantage to old age!

I'm 44, which means I should be happy because this whining noise still annoys me a lot :)

1 hour ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Good advice! I will definitely try it.

Thanks a lot for all the help, much appreciated!

I just made my first 25 km trip, and despite the noise liked it very much. It feels very strong and solid, but also comfortable and soft due to its large tire. 

41 minutes ago, serg said:

I just made my first 25 km trip, and despite the noise liked it very much. It feels very strong and solid, but also comfortable and soft due to its large tire. 

It's a great wheel. Let us know what you think in a couple of weeks. I bet you totally forget about the noise.

• 8 months later...
On 5/21/2017 at 3:29 PM, serg said:

@serg Did you ever spray the rubberized coating on your wheel covers?  Did it help?  I just bought and MSuper V3s+ and rode it for the first time today only for a few miles just to get a feel for it and that 6.0 KHz noise is insanely loud.  It's literally hurting my ears and causing them to ring long after I've stopped riding.  I can even hear it at speed, the wind noise does little to drown it out.  My MSuper V3s+ is supposed to have the Tesla motor, but my Tesla makes no whining sound at all (so make me question if it does have the Telsa motor and control board), and my MSuper V3s+ is so loud it's driving me crazy.  If you tried the rubberized coating, let me know.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Charles McLean said:

@serg Did you ever spray the rubberized coating on your wheel covers?  Did it help?  I just bought and MSuper V3s+ and rode it for the first time today only for a few miles just to get a feel for it and that 6.0 KHz noise is insanely loud.  It's literally hurting my ears and causing them to ring long after I've stopped riding.  I can even hear it at speed, the wind noise does little to drown it out.  My MSuper V3s+ is supposed to have the Tesla motor, but my Tesla makes no whining sound at all (so make me question if it does have the Telsa motor and control board), and my MSuper V3s+ is so loud it's driving me crazy.  If you tried the rubberized coating, let me know.  Thanks!

It has another board then then Tesla...so the noise is technicaly Ok and no reason to doubt on the motor...

Martys Acm2 with Tesla motor also had the whining, as it still is an Acm board. 

I know what sound you mean...but normally you shoild get used to it after a while and did not recognize it anymore.

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Juggler said:

If Ninebot can make a silent wheel why can't all the other manufacturers?

Tja..problem is that 9b only had a new wheel all 2-3 years...and aside from their new Model-Z10, they have been not that competetive with their underpowered wheels.

Nearly ALL wheels from then last 2-3 years have this high pitch noise, or say at least all gw/ks/rw have, perhaps these companies more like to deliver on performance than on sound...but there is hope:

The GW Tesla is also quiet ?

1 hour ago, Juggler said:

It's apples & oranges really. The Ninebot is as slow as molasses. It's 2018. Wheels have power and speed now and generally that has translated into more noisy motors.

I wonder how silent the new Ninebot Z series of wheels will be, considering how much more powerful they will be.

Anyone know which newer Gotway models are quiet? My Tesla is very quiet. My MSuper v3 820 is noisy. I'm planning my next wheel purchase (MSuper X likely) but I won't buy another one with the whine. 

9 hours ago, Juggler said:

I doubt companies will spend very much time or money trying to make a wheel real quiet. Riders who can even hear wheel noise amidst background and wind noise is probably small. Those who can hear it and are annoyed by said wheel noise is likely even smaller. I suspect more see it as a safety feature, especially those who traverse terrain shared by bikes, other pevs and pedestrians. Since virtually all new wheels from all major euc makers will have moved passed the 20 km/h speed level, noise is likely here to stay. If you are fortunate to find a wheel that meets your low noise requirements, jump on it. There is not likely going to be many to choose from.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I wonder how silent the new Ninebot Z series of wheels will be, considering how much more powerful they will be.

Already have a pretty good idea from this video I think:

51 minutes ago, pattymac said:

Anyone know which newer Gotway models are quiet? My Tesla is very quiet. My MSuper v3 820 is noisy. I'm planning my next wheel purchase (MSuper X likely) but I won't buy another one with the whine. 

Pretty much all the new model (not spec upgraded) Gotways I think, Tesla onwards (so MTen3, MCM5). Will be interesting if they make the MSuperX quiet.

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Already have a pretty good idea from this video I think:

Sounds good to me, (what sound!)

I would buy one but they look so ugly compared with the original models .

On 5/21/2017 at 7:06 PM, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Well I'm 65 and it's really annoying me after being used to a silent Ninebot.  I may even consider a Ninebot Z (assuming its quiet) even though I think they are ugly!

Archived