Does feet pain go away?

I'll throw in my 5 cents (we no longer have pennies in Canada).  I have about 2500 km on my KS16B and occasionally will get bad foot pain pretty quickly when riding, and I've realized it's when I'm riding the wheel really tensely.  Like squeezing it between my legs etc.  To relieve the cramping I'll just get off the wheel, walk a block with it until it goes away, and then make a conscious effort to relax.  Also doing slalom turns seems to help because you are shifting weight back and forth.  As others have said having your feet more forward on the pedals helps because you don't have to put as much pressure to accelerate.

I had a really good day on Sunday and put 70km on the wheel, and other than getting off when waiting at traffic lights to stretch my feet I only had to dismount and walk once due to foot cramping.

3 hours ago, Xoltri said:

I'll throw in my 5 cents (we no longer have pennies in Canada).  I have about 2500 km on my KS16B and occasionally will get bad foot pain pretty quickly when riding, and I've realized it's when I'm riding the wheel really tensely.  Like squeezing it between my legs etc.  To relieve the cramping I'll just get off the wheel, walk a block with it until it goes away, and then make a conscious effort to relax.  Also doing slalom turns seems to help because you are shifting weight back and forth.  As others have said having your feet more forward on the pedals helps because you don't have to put as much pressure to accelerate.

I had a really good day on Sunday and put 70km on the wheel, and other than getting off when waiting at traffic lights to stretch my feet I only had to dismount and walk once due to foot cramping.

At size 43 EU/10 US, I find that the pedals on the GT16 are sized so that the heel of my foot "should" go just about level with the rear end of the pedal. That is if I want the ankle centered over the axle. The problem with that is that my toes and the front of the balls of my feet sticks out in front of the pedal a bit more than is really comfortable.

25 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

At size 43 EU/10 US, I find that the pedals on the GT16 are sized so that the heel of my foot "should" go just about level with the rear end of the pedal. That is if I want the ankle centered over the axle. The problem with that is that my toes and the front of the balls of my feet sticks out in front of the pedal a bit more than is really comfortable.

If it's that noticeable at size 10 feet, then the ACM pedals must give people with big feet like my size 12's a really tough time.

I often look at pedals and think they look nice and shapely in a fashion crafted for looks primarily, and not for real usage.  They almost all look quite small to me.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

If it's that noticeable at size 10 feet, then the ACM pedals must give people with big feet like my size 12's a really tough time.

I often look at pedals and think they look nice and shapely in a fashion crafted for looks primarily, and not for real usage.  They almost all look quite small to me.

I think the only pedals I've seen so far that actually seem made for using, are those of the MSuper3...

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

This is the position I go to after my feet start hurting. A couple miles and they feel good enough to shift back into race-mode stance. This is how it goes for me:

5-6 Miles race stance ( on balls of feet grinding for speed)

1-2 Miles feet tired stance (on my heels letting my feet rest)

Repeat

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I think the only pedals I've seen so far that actually seem made for using, are those of the MSuper3...

That's what I ordered, and the pedals were a consideration that helped tip the balance away from a Kingsong KS18.  I hope they work for me.

I agree, all the other pedals look like they were made for children or perhaps women or very small men ... or even smallish rather than more average-sized women.

Well tried hard-sole shoes today, and apart from being low ankle, which means my poor ankles gets banged up, it was interesting. I hade two VERY positive experiences with the harder shoes:

1. I felt I got more stability, since there was one "soft" part less that squiggled around.
  2. My feet hurt a lot less, since the hard soles evened out the pressure somewhat.

Now I'm going to hunt for high top shoes/boots, that are cool enough for summer...

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

Now I'm going to hunt for high top shoes/boots, that are cool enough for summer...

That doesn't sound too easy unless you get like the old converse type basketball shoes. Those had nothing but thin canvas for uppers.

What kind of hard-sole shoes were you wearing?  

I have some relatively stiff rubber-soled shoes, but they're too nice to treat like work or sports shoes.  I guess I'm in the market ...

41 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

That doesn't sound too easy unless you get like the old converse type basketball shoes. Those had nothing but thin canvas for uppers.

I have some relatively stiff rubber-soled shoes, but they're too nice to treat like work or sports shoes.  I guess I'm in the market ...

This kind:

rieker.jpg.7ead8c9bfff47aa4e366f800d46e691d.jpg

https://rieker.us

I bought them like four or five years ago, and have used them for long walks, or situations where comfort is an absolute requirement. Nowadays they're getting a bit long in the tooth, but they're still going strong. These shoes are made for walking ;) 

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

I used these boots to learn on.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/dress-shoes/dalton-wingtip-dress-boots/SF0112.html

The ankle binding takes some of the weight off the sole, and the higher coverage affords some protection against the footpads while learning. They have a stiff sole off a dress shoes but the real protection of a boot.

Once I figured out how to move around without crashing the foot pain went away.

I now use very thin soled rubber chukkas. I've never been afflicted with the bruising on the ankles, and that is because I saw all the new riders getting hurt so I choose boots even before learning.

4 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Well tried hard-sole shoes today, and apart from being low ankle, which means my poor ankles gets banged up, it was interesting. I hade two VERY positive experiences with the harder shoes:

1. I felt I got more stability, since there was one "soft" part less that squiggled around.
  2. My feet hurt a lot less, since the hard soles evened out the pressure somewhat.

Why are your ankles getting banged up?  I believe that may be another symptom that you aren't riding properly.  When I was first learning it was normal to squeeze the machine hard, but now it is the opposite, it should be free to move between your legs and your ankles shouldn't be touching the machine.

30 minutes ago, Xoltri said:

Why are your ankles getting banged up?  I believe that may be another symptom that you aren't riding properly.  When I was first learning it was normal to squeeze the machine hard, but now it is the opposite, it should be free to move between your legs and your ankles shouldn't be touching the machine.

Let me illustrate.

gt16-ankle-killer.jpg.5dcab3aaee128bc915ed39d41dcd6539.jpg

That said, I am very new on this machine, so I'm still finding the proper stance. As the day went on, the "banging up" got less and less - probably because I found a more relaxed poise... It's not bad at all when riding, mostly when jumping on or getting off.

I find it "interesting" that the wheel design looks like that just over the hub, where the ankles are supposed to be... Wouldn't a slightly wider pedal and some thin padding around there have been the way to go?

Edited by Scatcat
  • Upvote 2

Ah yeah, I can see your predicament there.  I ride a KS16, the pedals don't lean inwards.  I have size 12 feet and find the pedals are a decent size for me.  I have also added skateboard grip tape on the pedals, helps them from sliding around and makes it more comfortable.

monowheel-kingsong-ks16.jpeg

1 hour ago, kour said:

i've been mainly using a pair of light hiking shoes that have goretex. nice stiff sole with grip and stays dry ;)

I'm actually looking for just such a thing. Preferably the summer type, with a nice strong sole and airy upper part.

1 minute ago, Xoltri said:

Ah yeah, I can see your predicament there.  I ride a KS16, the pedals don't lean inwards.  I have size 12 feet and find the pedals are a decent size for me.  I have also added skateboard grip tape on the pedals, helps them from sliding around and makes it more comfortable.

monowheel-kingsong-ks16.jpeg

Kinsong's design with a fat pad and smooth shell at the pedal, seems indeed less likely to bang you up... :)

Something like this trekking-sandal/shoe is tempting, if I can find a way to pad the wheel around my ankles...

I have very good experience with Rieker shoes, they are a dream to walk in, and the quality of those I've bought have so far been flawless.

0026678_rieker.thumb.jpeg.274ec1f4560b0d0272562db09e7c24ab.jpeg

I am a bit sensitive when it comes to shoe comfort.

Edited by Scatcat

11 hours ago, RichieV said:

If you're looking to buy shoes specifically for riding, you might want to look at motorcycle boots.  They typically are stiffer and offer a lot of protection for the ankles.

They're great, but I need shoes that I can live in without sweltering when I get of the wheel. I commute and step of and into the office... :D

8 hours ago, kasenutty said:

By the time you assemble your lineup of special boots, shin guards, foam, and who knows what else, you will no longer need it :D

Probably, but comfort is nice ;).

And if I buy shit I like anyways, I won't be poorer, now will I?