18in wheels comparison

johnc415

I'd like to pose a question to those who ride 18 in wheels - which do you have and do you have other 18in wheels that you can compare it to? Currently it seems the 18 in standard is the Gotway. I know Kingsong makes an 18 in but not sure which other EU companies have one in that class. Does anyone own the KingSong 18? I'm curious about this larger class, thanks!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18 inches are just the Gotway and Kingsong ones but really it is a dangerous class of units. I have got a friend ended with a broken ankle(5 months+ recovery) with a 18 inch. It could easily ending up to be rated disability injury. Use with care and be aware that skateboarding protective gears are far from enough when riding a 18 inch. You probably should have full motocycle uniform to ride that kind of EUC...

Mengke

from

wheelyouride.webs.com

18 inches are just the Gotway and Kingsong ones but really it is a dangerous class of units. I have got a friend ended with a broken ankle(5 months+ recovery) with a 18 inch. It could easily ending up to be rated disability injury. Use with care and be aware that skateboarding protective gears are far from enough when riding a 18 inch. You probably should have full motocycle uniform to ride that kind of EUC...

Mengke

from

wheelyouride.webs.com

They are not more dangerous unless you mean they are capable of higher speeds than most.  For 18 inch there's also Solowheel Xtreme.

The problem with EU is the physics. We can't break physics. Think of how many torque a EU can generate and how much is used for balancing. You can't expect speeds higher than 20 km/h and a full balanced ride regardless the circumstances.

Driving a Ninebot one as a heavy driver you'll see jumps of up to 500 W while riding through small holes/ lanes as a heavy driver at speeds of 12/13 km/h.

I've tested the GW MSuper and I was amazed by the power of up hill runs, ride over a stony track, but I haven't driven the GW at full speed. It's very stable. In my opinion the GW MSuper is a very secure EU riding it as a normal rider.

Driving on the limit is dangerous, especially for non light weight Asian drivers.

My sentences are from a cruisers view ;) I don't need to drive on the limit/ the edge, but I like to have a safety margin.

18 inches are just the Gotway and Kingsong ones but really it is a dangerous class of units.

?? I don't really get this. Is this because these units are going at 25 and higher km/hr ?

I have the Solowheel Xtreme which is 18" and to me it seems a very safe and comfortable unit (max speed is about 18km/hr). Perhaps even safer than smaller wheels since it more easily goes over bumps etc. I only have the wheel for about 5 weeks now but no real fall yet and the unit seems to always be able to balance me (I am about 75kg). When not learning new things or doing tricky things, ie. when I go for groceries or coffee on the streets, I usually do not wear any protective gear.

If you run a moderate speed. 18inch size is the safest ride. In fact, the 18 inch is the safest at all speeds compared to smaller ones. I do not think of anything which is in a bigger size would be a hazardous than smaller.

18 inch make you feel safer so you go higher speed and lose the sense of  high speed. But when you crash you crash at high speed anyway. As for smaller wheels, you will feel unsafe at higher speed so you ride more cautiously at high speed and probably stay at a lower speed most of the time to feel confident.

It is like car is safer than bicycle but you may die from a car crash more than in a bike crash because how it feels safer within a car encourages you to go faster confidently.

Regards,

Mengke

18 inch make you feel safer so you go higher speed and lose the sense of  high speed. But when you crash you crash at high speed anyway. As for smaller wheels, you will feel unsafe at higher speed so you ride more cautiously at high speed and probably stay at a lower speed most of the time to feel confident.

Regards,

Mengke

On the contrary in my experience. My worse crash to date was on one of my Mten2's at just over 20kph whilst carrying the broken down mcm2s in one hand and trying to film my son giving his friend a piggy back on the M18 with the other hand.

The M10 is so easy to ride and manoeuvre that it promotes a false over confidence despite being a bit twitchy at speed.

• 1 month later...

Nice video! 

Can someone finally ride the kingsong 18 and do a review already? :)

im dying to know about the convenience and the feel of the seat , battery life, manouvarability, max speed, ability to control speed warnings and mosy pertinently, the comparison to the gotway msuper. The community needs to know which way the wind is bliwing after all :)

@KaleOsaurusRex any word on the upgraded KS 18 that people have mentioned is around the corner-ish? I know there's a monster version that is China only but I've also heard of a 1000+ watt version... I'm interested in purchasing one from you as my 18" EUC. But I'd like it to have a longer range than the 14" 800 version I purchased.

Being able to sit on it just seems like an awesome feature for those long trips.

@zentype

I talked to King Song, and there is a 1000w nominal motor that they are working on as an option for the 18" models. Right now, there is no solid release time. I know that there are a few other designs they will be focusing on first. They can put the motor in, but they need to design new firmware for the new design as well, which is a time-intensive trial and error process. My prediction is, these will be released early next year. This is a guess.

Thanks, Kale. I know there's the 16" they're working on. Hopefully it isn't completely awesome looking because I don't want to have to buy that one too. ;)

And hopefully design-wise they keep the 18" the way it is. I know a lot don't like the high profile design, but for me the allure of being able to occasionally sit on my wheel while riding just seems too tempting to ignore.

• 2 months later...

For latest info on KS keep an eye on the Milbay Australia website.

I f you want to see video of the 18 inch the check the Milbay GTS 18 play list here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkcDV1CtFBj1b5nUTNqLzqZ2GxBhK_4-D

Plenty of 14 inch videos on the Milbay Youtube channel as well

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2015 at 9:41 AM, zentype said:

Thanks, Kale. I know there's the 16" they're working on. Hopefully it isn't completely awesome looking because I don't want to have to buy that one too. ;)

And hopefully design-wise they keep the 18" the way it is. I know a lot don't like the high profile design, but for me the allure of being able to occasionally sit on my wheel while riding just seems too tempting to ignore.

The latest specs for the 16 inch can be found here

Milbay have an intro special - Save $200.00 for pre orders. Payments and offer closes China new year with delivery in February.

http://www.milbay.com.au/SBV/MB16GTS

11 minutes ago, Neale Gray said:

For latest info on KS keep an eye on the Milbay Australia website.

I f you want to see video of the 18 inch the check the Milbay GTS 18 play list here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkcDV1CtFBj1b5nUTNqLzqZ2GxBhK_4-D

Plenty of 14 inch videos on the Milbay Youtube channel as well

The latest specs for the 16 inch can be found here

Milbay have an intro special - Save $200.00 for pre orders. Payments and offer closes China new year with delivery in February.

http://www.milbay.com.au/SBV/MB16GTS

In the video, the 18" looks too big to ride amongst pedestrians?

Like all vehicles you should have good control before operating around the public. The GTS 18 is a dream to control as it is just so easy to step off and grab the handle to control the motouni when required.

The picture on this page under the specifications tab shows a good impression of actual height.

http://www.milbay.com.au/SBV/MB18GTS

http://www.milbay.com.au/SBV#MB18GTS

• 4 weeks later...
On 25.7.2015 at 3:41 PM, Gaston said:

The problem with EU is the physics. We can't break physics. Think of how many torque a EU can generate and how much is used for balancing. You can't expect speeds higher than 20 km/h and a full balanced ride regardless the circumstances.

Driving a Ninebot one as a heavy driver you'll see jumps of up to 500 W while riding through small holes/ lanes as a heavy driver at speeds of 12/13 km/h.

I've tested the GW MSuper and I was amazed by the power of up hill runs, ride over a stony track, but I haven't driven the GW at full speed. It's very stable. In my opinion the GW MSuper is a very secure EU riding it as a normal rider.

Driving on the limit is dangerous, especially for non light weight Asian drivers.

My sentences are from a cruisers view ;) I don't need to drive on the limit/ the edge, but I like to have a safety margin.

100% ACK - I agree with you. 

I agree, for that reason always look for the largest motor, ideal winding is high torque for added safety, and largest battery pack.

For that reason I ordered a king song 1100w with a 1360wh battery, hopefully I will get it before the end of the month.

driving at 40km/h is dangerous, but driving at 20km/h a wheel that can go at 40km/h provides an extra margin of safety which is needed for heavy weigh persons.

Never trust the specs that are published, they seem to be over inflated, for example for a person that weight 110kg he will use from 20 to 25 watts per km, and the 30degree inclines that are advertised are usually false if the rider weights 120kg for all unicycles, they are probably true for a 30kg rider, but they specify the max weight of the rider, and then the max incline implying that a rider which such a weigh can handle such an incline, and it is usually not the case.

for that reason my recommendation is to go for the most powerful motor with largest battery pack.

For me the time to buy an EUC is coming near. My first EUC to be more exact. I have narrowed my searches to two possibilities one being the Gotway Msuper 18" middle version and the other kingsong 18" with 800w motor. In both options I will buy the device with 680wh battery.

I live in southern Finland so my few first months riding  will be in snow ice and water. I will use the EUC for my daily trips to work and back (14km one way).

Besides the issue of choosing what device I'll buy I'll have to also figure out where to buy it from. I haven't found a reseller in Finland so its practically the same to buy it from China or some where else.

Dear EUC forum community can you help me choose the right device for my use?  Additionally can you please suggest a place to buy it from?

Thank you in advance for all the tips and advice!

On 2016/1/13 at 2:46 AM, NeprisFin said:

For me the time to buy an EUC is coming near. My first EUC to be more exact. I have narrowed my searches to two possibilities one being the Gotway Msuper 18" middle version and the other kingsong 18" with 800w motor. In both options I will buy the device with 680wh battery.

I live in southern Finland so my few first months riding  will be in snow ice and water. I will use the EUC for my daily trips to work and back (14km one way).

Besides the issue of choosing what device I'll buy I'll have to also figure out where to buy it from. I haven't found a reseller in Finland so its practically the same to buy it from China or some where else.

Dear EUC forum community can you help me choose the right device for my use?  Additionally can you please suggest a place to buy it from?

Thank you in advance for all the tips and advice!

I personally chose MSuper2 MS 680Wh. 

I tried twice riding on snow, it was very difficult for me even though I wrapped some hard rope around the tire. However, the EU did a good job, it was the road that difficult to ride.

Archived