Extra battery pack switch

Jay Barnett

I had an idea and will do this once i get another battery pack.. a simple solution for using 2 or more battery packs is to put in a switch.
This way using a decent 20 to 30 amp switch i can simply put the other pack in parallel wired with a switch that allows either one or the other to be connected to the controller. Then each pack is charged separately and powers the wheel separately. So while riding once im down to one led i can switch to the other pack and while charging i charge one pack and then switch to the other to charge it, this way no shunting circuit is needed and no problems with one pack charging the other. Keeps it simple and safe.

Just need to work out how to fit the second pack inside the housing. If it doesnt fit i can make it external and still use the switch option.

Shunting the BMS is still needed, no matter what (see my signature). If you can solder a switch, you can  shunt, don't wait a faceplant to do it.

If the second pack is internal, a permanent parallel connection is the best choice, you can not have more KISS. Only if it were external would the switch be justified, IMHO.

Tip for IPS owners.

As you guys probably know, when you try to add an external battery via the charge port of the unit it will think you are trying to charge the internal battery and won't power the unit.  In order to bypass this you need to switch on the unit, then to plug in the battery into the charge port and run both batteries down simultaneously. (Note - Always best to have internal battery voltage similar to external before you plug in external.)

When stopping to take brakes or when your wheel does a shutdown you will probably have noticed that even though you have switched off the power button on the EU the unit is still powered on.  Thats because the external battery is still powering the EU.  In order to completely switch off you need to pull out the plug of the external from the charge socket.

So finally my tip... Good if you are someone who likes to tinker your EU.  What I done (See photo) is with the external battery I have added onto the power wires a simple switch.  The switch I have used here is actually a desk lamp power switch for up to 25 amps.  So when you want to turn off your EU instead of having to (If like me you like to screw in the plug for stability, unscrew the plug.) pull out the plug each time.  You just need to flip the switch to cut power.

DSC_0270.JPG

* Forgot to say and its probably obvious but its also good for turning on as you don't need to replug the socket each time too. :)

• 4 months later...
On 7/28/2015 at 4:26 PM, Chuts said:

Tip for IPS owners.

As you guys probably know, when you try to add an external battery via the charge port of the unit it will think you are trying to charge the internal battery and won't power the unit.  In order to bypass this you need to switch on the unit, then to plug in the battery into the charge port and run both batteries down simultaneously. (Note - Always best to have internal battery voltage similar to external before you plug in external.)

When stopping to take brakes or when your wheel does a shutdown you will probably have noticed that even though you have switched off the power button on the EU the unit is still powered on.  Thats because the external battery is still powering the EU.  In order to completely switch off you need to pull out the plug of the external from the charge socket.

So finally my tip... Good if you are someone who likes to tinker your EU.  What I done (See photo) is with the external battery I have added onto the power wires a simple switch.  The switch I have used here is actually a desk lamp power switch for up to 25 amps.  So when you want to turn off your EU instead of having to (If like me you like to screw in the plug for stability, unscrew the plug.) pull out the plug each time.  You just need to flip the switch to cut power.

DSC_0270.JPG

* Forgot to say and its probably obvious but its also good for turning on as you don't need to replug the socket each time too. :)

Hey chuts,

I was wondering, how do you charge your externa battery? Do u use an adapter to the charger?

Archived