My turn !!!!

bleu9mm

@SirGeraint speaking of arm-flailing, my driveway is all gravel so when I'm riding down it to get to the street it looks like I'm conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra.  The neighbors call me Maestro.  LOL.  :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@dpong, That's funny.  Maybe if I knew how to Conduct properly I would do better.  I haven't given my neighbors a chance to see me yet.  And I would hate to hear what they would call me.  Like I mentioned before I know arms used to help like on things like a balance beam.  I'm not sure why it doesn't help me much on the EU.  Maybe because the EU is more mobile.

Today I did notice a vehicle stopped to watch me.  I used the Parking lot lamp post to get mounted.  I waited.  They waited.  I waited.  They waited.  But I finally gave them what they wanted to see.  Not one of my better runs... maybe 30 feet with a nice step off followed by what looked liked a 9B1 fighting like a wild pig trying to get off the leash. 

I went to an industrial area this morning to avoid potential spectators... ;) On my previous attempt, while I was trying to start with my right hand on a ramp, I was able to do a couple of feet. But, today, nothing, nada.

:(:(:(

I went to an industrial area this morning to avoid potential spectators... ;) On my previous attempt, while I was trying to start with my right hand on a ramp, I was able to do a couple of feet. But, today, nothing, nada.

:(:(:(

I'm trying to think of an industrial area that is secluded enough that there won't be many spectators but not secluded enough that I look like I am trespassing and up to something.  I haven't found a spot that fits the description.

Sorry, to hear about the lack of process.  What happens?  (i.e. for me most of the time I get into a left turn, sometimes just excessive wobblines).  Maybe someone can offer some tips for you.

Just a thought, do you still have some protection foam left? Use that on one pedal and try if it helps with the 0.5cm difference.

Thanks Rip !!! I still have some left, so I will try... Good idea !!!

Bleu9mm

Another session tonight. I realized that I forgot all my protective gears in my sport car is (at the garage, for repairs)...But I just can't resist. :) So I got cars out of my garage and started to practice... Unprotected. First, the feet position. Clearly, I started with a wrong position on the wheel. By placing my feet more forward on the pedals, I gained a lot of balance and stability. Now I can squeeze the wheel between my legs. 

Then, I stood by the wall and practiced little forward and backward movements for five to ten minutes. So, I could't resist and I tried some starts. A bit better than yesterday. While making a start, I scratched my left ankle. I decided to put my combat/shooting boots on. Whoa !!! Things went better. I was able to make my first 35 feet ride !!!! WhoooooHooo !!!

What I noticed is that I always losing balance on the left side and I don't know why....

Thanks for your advices on that problem !!

Bleu9mm

Another session tonight. I realized that I forgot all my protective gears in my sport car is (at the garage, for repairs)...But I just can't resist. :) So I got cars out of my garage and started to practice... Unprotected. First, the feet position. Clearly, I started with a wrong position on the wheel. By placing my feet more forward on the pedals, I gained a lot of balance and stability. Now I can squeeze the wheel between my legs. 

Then, I stood by the wall and practiced little forward and backward movements for five to ten minutes. So, I could't resist and I tried some starts. A bit better than yesterday. While making a start, I scratched my left ankle. I decided to put my combat/shooting boots on. Whoa !!! Things went better. I was able to make my first 35 feet ride !!!! WhoooooHooo !!!

sounds like a good move. 

What I noticed is that I always losing balance on the left side and I don't know why....

In case it happens while you are still going forward, it's because you fail to turn the wheel (around the vertical axis) quickly enough to the left. Otherwise it's because you fail to go forward. You might want to try to figure out how to turn the wheel around it's vertical axis.

It is more falling than turning to the left. 

you fall to the left because you fail to turn the wheel to the left, that's what I was saying. 

Let me try a hair-brained explanation of something I noticed.  (Maybe a thought experiment - but something that helped me.)

Bear with me.  Forget about going straight for a moment.  When balancing I'm always leaning a little to the left (or turning left maybe) - or else I'm leaning a little to the right (or turning right, maybe).   So I'm always either 'balancing' to the left a little - or balancing to the right a little.  

Early on, I would often become unbalanced and have to step off of the wheel when I lost track of which way I was balancing/leaning/turning.   When thinking only "I'm going straight" I was in kind of a "dead zone" and could not feel my balance as well.  

This is my own attempt at explaining what *I* was feeling, so others may easily disagree.  But, something to try maybe is this:  Don't try to go straight ahead in a straight perfectly balanced line, balancing neither left nor right.  This is the dead zone.  Instead, at least for some practice, try thinking I am balancing left now.  Now I am balancing right.  Always know which one you are doing.   When you know which one you are doing, you can feel it.  

Meh, just a mind trick I used, especially in the beginning when I had to really concentrate and think about it. 

On 8/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, bleu9mm said:

So, I'm gonna have to develop the reflex to twist my body to the right ???

not the body, but the wheel, that is, the feet, as they are the part directly connected to the wheel. And not to the right, but to the left (as you are falling to the left). So you might just try to turn the wheel under you while standing still and holding on to something (which is much harder though than doing it while you drive). I think that you can initiate this movement with your hip (i.e. above your hip), or in your hips, or with your knees, or with you ankles, but it might not help to try to be conscious about how to do this exactly.

So I'm always either 'balancing' to the left a little - or balancing to the right a little.

I agree, driving constantly left and right turns like when skiing can help to feel safer and keep being balanced unconsciously. It also worked for me. 

I'm glad that you took a picture of it before it gets all banged up.  I can see with your "ear protection" you won't need to worry about hearing cars coming up behind you at all.  Sweet.  B)

---------------------------------------------

OK, I can see that bug where posting causes a previously inserted image to be posted in your next post.  I did not include this image, and I don't know how to get rid of it.  It seems everyone will have to live with it for now. 

IMG_5456.jpg

Archived