My first EUC! MSuper 3

26 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Throwing the V5 into the car for destination use is life-changing convenient, so much so that I occasionally misplace my car after parking it. Now I weigh 215 pounds so probably 230 all up and except for range these wheels don't have any obviously protests.

You can't really buy any bad wheels these days, and unlike motorcycles where, according to insurance companies, bigger = more crashes. I think unless there's a component failure a bigger more powerful wheel is probably a safer wheel because bigger wheels don't notice the bumps that take out the smaller wheels. Most of my crashes are from such situations.

I've taken some bad crashes on bikes, including one I'll never forget from coming in on a rock too fast to see it.  The idea of a big fat tire from an 18 inch or bigger EUC is very reassuring to me.  I know it won't solve all problems, but I love the idea of extra safety margins.  I live on the outskirts of a city so i can expect to see lots of rocks and branches in the roads, etc.

I'm very surprised you're doing so well at your weight on that machine!  I've heard so many good things about it, though.  It might have been my very first choice, if I weighed less PLUS didn't have so many steep hills around.  I need a big power reserve.

My city is small, too.  You could fit the whole of it in a single neighborhood in Los Angeles with room to spare.  The real distances I have to cover are between cities rather than inside mine.  For me, that's where all the bad roads and mean hills are.  Once I get in the city, my worries are over.  If I busted out a EUC, it would be just for fun or some kind of challenge ... or maybe to show off to women who are much too young for me anyway ...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Scully said:

Sorry but I completely disagree. So much so, I've given out my 1st ever 'neg' 

Nice. I think I was thinking of Kour's accident and Marty's Monster cracking, so you're probably right :D

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I think unless there's a component failure a bigger more powerful wheel is probably a safer wheel because bigger wheels don't notice the bumps that take out the smaller wheels.

EXACTLY this! (Also better from a safety margin/cut out standpoint.)

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

The idea of a big fat tire from an 18 inch or bigger EUC is very reassuring to me.

The one thing I'm envious of with the msuper (compared to the ACM) is the nice wide fat tire. People say there's not such a big difference between 16 inch and 18 inch, but it probably has a notable riding comfort advantage.

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

When I learned on my ACM I went to Home Depot and bought a 8' length of rubber copper pipe insulation (not the foam type). About $5.  Then buy a roll of 3M Low Residue Duct Tape (leaves no residue if removed within 6 months). It's an inexpensive alternative to Gaffers Tape. Use that to attach the rubber to the wheel. The tape is also available at Home Depot.

Marty, have you had trouble getting the tape to stick? I've tried the tape you mentioned, and also other 3M tapes, and finally double sided heavy duty Gorilla tape and all of then could not stick onto my MSuper 3. I've cleaned the wheel with soap and water but nothing can stick on the wheel.

Probably some alien technology.

Just now, LanghamP said:

Marty, have you had trouble getting the tape to stick? I've tried the tape you mentioned, and also other 3M tapes, and finally double sided heavy duty Gorilla tape and all of then could not stick onto my MSuper 3. I've cleaned the wheel with soap and water but nothing can stick on the wheel.

I only used the tape on the ACM and I don't recall any problems with it sticking, but I can't remember exactly how I secured the tape. I may have wrapped the tape around the entire wheel (and foam), attaching the tape to itself. I'm sure stickier tapes would work but I didn't wont to have tape residue sticking to the case.

4 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

BTW, my tape/rubber job was not pretty, The intent was to protect the wheel for my first month or so, and then it was removed. If you're using short sections of tape to keep things looking pretty, maybe that contributes to the tape not sticking - not enough of the tape is attached to the case ???

29 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

EXACTLY this! (Also better from a safety margin/cut out standpoint.)

The one thing I'm envious of with the msuper (compared to the ACM) is the nice wide fat tire. People say there's not such a big difference between 16 inch and 18 inch, but it probably has a notable riding comfort advantage.

I was sorely, sorely tempted by the ACM's proven performance and legendary climbing ability. People who have one can't seem to stop praising it, even people who have multiple wheels..

I understand the ACM has the same motor as the MSuper, so the diameter of the bigger wheel means I lose some torque ... exactly what I need to climb all the steep hills around me.

But ... eh... sooner or later you have to make a choice, and there are few choices in life that don't require giving up one thing to get another, so ... I bit the bullet and made my choice.

The grass is always greener in at least one small way or another, and I'm sure I would have been happy with the ACM too.

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I only used the tape on the ACM and I don't recall any problems with it sticking, but I can't remember exactly how I secured the tape. I may have wrapped the tape around the entire wheel (and foam), attaching the tape to itself. I'm sure stickier tapes would work but I didn't wont to have tape residue sticking to the case.

Marty, or any others with ideas/opinions, just because I'm curious ... 

On rare occasions we get road tar and on frequent occasions I get nasty acidic bird poop on my car that dries out and very quickly scars the paint, and is very hard to get off. We put our litter of puppies out under the shade of our pine tree once and a bunch of them got pine tar mixed with dried pine needles matted into their fur -- horrible for them and awful to try to get off their fur and sensitive skin.

Any recommendations on what I should stay away from if I want to clean some of the tougher stuff off my wheel?  Be it the foam or the plastic parts?  Or anything particularly good I should use?  Bird poop I can probably avoid by storing the wheel indoors, but pine sap ...

... heck I unfolded and put on a fresh t-shirt from the closet today and it had a caterpillar and its silk on the shoulder.  Didn't even see it for a few minutes. Boy do we get bugs ...

Okay, the deed is done!

Talked to Jason a few minutes ago and paid off the remainder.  He says the latest shipment of wheels is preparing to head across the ocean and he expects them to come in right about on schedule in the first week of June.  Add a few days from California to Oregon and I should have my new MSuper. :D

I will spend the meantime squirming in anticipation. 

I find the MSuper to be a much more difficult hill climber than my V5. 18 inches vs 14.

With the V5 you can press the front of the pedals but with the MSuper you must clamp the top of the wheel and force the tilt. If you just lean forward on the pedals then you end up falling forward off the wheel.

With the V5 it climbs until the tire slips on something (you go down instantly) but the MSuper I end up slowing down and stopping as I can't give it more throttle.

On the other hand while I can't get my MSuper to climb steep hills it can climb any other hill much faster than my V5.

interesting how that all works.

The steepest hill I'll have to do is my own long driveway, at the back of our development pressed right against the mountains..  If it winds up being able to handle that, I'll be very confident with it anywhere I'm likely to go.  If not, oh well, I got the very latest so I did what I could do.  Anyway it has a trolley handle so I'll manage.

50 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

On rare occasions we get road tar and on frequent occasions I get nasty acidic bird poop on my car that dries out and very quickly scars the paint, and is very hard to get off. We put our litter of puppies out under the shade of our pine tree once and a bunch of them got pine tar mixed with dried pine needles matted into their fur -- horrible for them and awful to try to get off their fur and sensitive skin.

Any recommendations on what I should stay away from if I want to clean some of the tougher stuff off my wheel?  Be it the foam or the plastic parts?  Or anything particularly good I should use?  Bird poop I can probably avoid by storing the wheel indoors, but pine sap ...

... heck I unfolded and put on a fresh t-shirt from the closet today and it had a caterpillar and its silk on the shoulder.  Didn't even see it for a few minutes. Boy do we get bugs ...

no abrasive compounds.

no alchohol.

no acetone.

I think GOO-GONE is a good mild product but you need to test on a area that is not visible to make sure.

You might try also spraying a lens/headlight protection spray but it might make it shiny.

You might try some car wax but make sure you test an area not visible first.

https://www.liquidarmour.co/products/multi-surface-hydrophobic-clear-waterproof-coating

Sorry, I've got nothing for you here. My wheel is only outside in the elements when I'm riding so I only have to worry about dirt. Road tar would be bad, but that seems like it would be easy to avoid, at least where I ride.

<snip>

The grass is always greener in at least one small way or another, and I'm sure I would have been happy with the ACM too.

This is why many people have multiple wheels. Your next one can be an ACM :D

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is why many people have multiple wheels. Your next one can be an ACM :D

You are an evil, evil person Marty! :D

I only just got done paying for the first one and it won't even be here until three weeks from now!

I'm gonna be buried in a pauper's grave if I listen to you guys.

29 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

no abrasive compounds.

no alchohol.

no acetone.

I think GOO-GONE is a good mild product but you need to test on a area that is not visible to make sure.

You might try also spraying a lens/headlight protection spray but it might make it shiny.

You might try some car wax but make sure you test an area not visible first.

https://www.liquidarmour.co/products/multi-surface-hydrophobic-clear-waterproof-coating

Never heard of goo-gone, thanks.  Gotta confess, I'm just not a handy guy.  When it comes to being handy, whatever there is to learn I ... still gotta learn pretty much all of it.

17 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Never heard of goo-gone, thanks.  Gotta confess, I'm just not a handy guy.  When it comes to being handy, whatever there is to learn I ... still gotta learn pretty much all of it.

go to minute 2:20 if you want to skip the blah blah blah.

interesting how that all works.

The steepest hill I'll have to do is my own long driveway, at the back of our development pressed right against the mountains..  If it winds up being able to handle that, I'll be very confident with it anywhere I'm likely to go.  If not, oh well, I got the very latest so I did what I could do.  Anyway it has a trolley handle so I'll manage.

i'll try to make a video of me going up a pretty steep hill on mine - there is no shortage of them where i live ;)

3 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Okay, the deed is done!

You have a joyful/frustrating/nail-biting/excited 3 weeks ahead of you. Prepare to look outside the window, see the (nice) weather, and think "Why don't I have this thing already??!!!!" 10 times a day:w00t2::cry2:. Prepare to check the delivery status every 5 minutes once that gets going:D

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

With the V5 you can press the front of the pedals but with the MSuper you must clamp the top of the wheel and force the tilt.

I've found a good distinction between "this is certainly safe" and "I have to start thinking about this" is whether you only tiptoe on your pedals and see how far this gets you; vs. whether you clamp the wheel with your legs to keep it going. Not sure how different it is with the msuper V3. The one time I clamped my ACM, it broke (please don't think clamping is dangerous in itself, overstressing the wheel is more due to very high incline than to clamping; it's just that clamping allows you to force a lot of power from the wheel and so it is easier to do something bad. Also my experiences may not be generalizable anyways.)

3 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Wet kitchen/dust wiping thing for the usual dirt.

Lighter fluid/lighter petroleum works fine to clean my ACM of sticky things, both the hard-ish side panels (at least the white hard ones, the black ones are a bit rubbery, just test a tiny spot), as well as the rubberized shell. Absolutely no damage, no coloring coming off (wiping paper towels are white and clean). Just don't use it on the (cheap foam) leg pads (and your seat! Same material.), the surface will wrinkle a little if you dose it in lighter fluid (wiping with a fluid saturated paper towel might be ok). You don't destroy it, but the petroleum apparently slightly dissolves the foam.

About double sided tape, the standard stuff (3M something) coming with the standard protective foam holds extremely well (if you use enough, otherwise funnily enough it falls of quite easily) but is a bitch to get off (with the lighter fluid, maybe there are better chemicals). You'll rip the foam parts if you peel them off (which is no problem, just get new foam) and then you need forever to get the glue residue off the wheel (took me like 1.5 h per side) [also, ripping it off may damage the leg pads if you're not doing it carefully].

My recommendation is, get the most "residue free removal" style double sided tape you can find, even if it's less strong, and just plaster the foam undersides with it. Will still hold, and prevent you from having to de-glue your shell for hours.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I've found a good distinction between "this is certainly safe" and "I have to start thinking about this" is whether you only tiptoe on your pedals and see how far this gets you; vs. whether you clamp the wheel with your legs to keep it going. Not sure how different it is with the msuper V3. The one time I clamped my ACM, it broke (please don't think clamping is dangerous in itself, overstressing the wheel is more due to very high incline than to clamping; it's just that clamping allows you to force a lot of power from the wheel and so it is easier to do something bad. Also my experiences may not be generalizable anyways.)

If I just stand with all my weight on the front the wheel slows down on most inclines, and then stops. 

Adjust your Gotway!

There is a leveling adjustment in the Gotway application that I would recommend doing first off. I just did my first leveling adjustment about a week ago, but did not ride my Gotway until this morning.

It made a big difference. Before, my Gotway could not climb hills because I could not stand far enough on the front of the pedals.

Something I did notice after the leveling adjustment; the MSuper is radically slanted backwards when turned on.

I should know better; my Inmotion for the first month would tilt its pedals forward and keep them there before I did the level adjustment.

Maybe these wheels get off kilter doing shipping? I don't know how level adjustment works, except the wheels aren't right (yet usable to a degree) until they get properly adjusted.

8 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Adjust your Gotway!

There is a leveling adjustment in the Gotway application that I would recommend doing first off. I just did my first leveling adjustment about a week ago, but did not ride my Gotway until this morning.

It made a big difference. Before, my Gotway could not climb hills because I could not stand far enough on the front of the pedals.

Something I did notice after the leveling adjustment; the MSuper is radically slanted backwards when turned on.

I should know better; my Inmotion for the first month would tilt its pedals forward and keep them there before I did the level adjustment.

Maybe these wheels get off kilter doing shipping? I don't know how level adjustment works, except the wheels aren't right (yet usable to a degree) until they get properly adjusted.

Maybe they think they're upside down, because they come from China? :D

Thanks for the heads up.  I've never even used a smartphone before, and have to mount that hurdle too.

On 5/23/2017 at 0:51 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

You don't even have a shipping tracker to care about yet. THEN it gets bad;) All self control out of the window...

Yeah I hate suspense in real life!  My favorite thing in movies and least favorite in life.  Three weeks is a long time to wait for a person conditioned to instant gratification.

Archived