New V8 Tire Rubbing Front and Back Plastic

Roll_On

I would like to see if anyone encountered this problem on a new V8 unit.

New Inmotion V8 arrived yesterday 5/09/2017, pump up the tire to 60 PSI (still less than the maximum which is 65 PSI).

As the tire rotate, it is rubbing or scraping the front plastic with headlight, and the back plastic with charging port.

The rubbing or scraping is much worst on the side with the front headlight, than the back with charging port.  You can also visually see it rubbing.

The rubbing is not 100% constantly, instead like 50%, rubbing some, no rubbing, rubbing some, no scraping, etc.

The tire size marking has the correct size 16" x 2.125"

In the trolley mode (to pull the EUC) with battery assisted power the scraping is not that strong as compared to hand rotating the tire.  However, you could hear a noticeable rubbing.

I tried to lower the tire pressure down to 40 PSI (almost flat) and the scraping stopped, but I could not ride with such low pressure.

I am just guessing, is there a mud flap end portion installed incorrectly with the wheel well plastic?

Wild guess, this is not designed to reduce speed on the new unit until after some riding duration?

Anyone has experienced this?

Tire clearance on the V8s is very thin.

When I owned and rode daily my previous V8, the tire rub was only noticeable at some areas of the tire when wheeling around, not while riding.

During riding, the tire rub was not inhibitive to moving at all. My PSI for reference was always 5 under max, and my rider weight is 170lbs.

You can try fitting the V8 with other tires than the stock Kenda, but most other brand 16" x 2.125" tires won't fit due to the thin clearance. (I was able to fit a Maxxis Hookworm BMX tire (16" x 1.95") successfully).

Hi houseofjob, thanks for the suggestion.  I am still waiting for Jason McNeil to reply.

When you get the Maxxis Hookworm, what was the tire inner tube size (same as 16" x 1.95")?  If the tire inner tube valve is not bent, do you just bent it to the angle like the one on the V8?

53 minutes ago, Roll_On said:

When you get the Maxxis Hookworm, what was the tire inner tube size (same as 16" x 1.95")?  If the tire inner tube valve is not bent, do you just bent it to the angle like the one on the V8?

Stick with the usual EUC style inner tubes (bent and inward facing valve).

16" x 2.125" inner tube will work fine. You can always go wider inner tube than the actual tire width, but not narrower.

I am having the same issue and is currently living with it.  I have not contact Jason.

Someone replied to my post that Jason sent another tire and fixed the problem.  No idea what brand, model, etc.

Please let me know Jason's response.  I have not contact him because I wanted to see if the problem goes away.....and has not.

My PSI is 56. I've tried to file the cover a bit and still no help.  The scraping is not constant and depends on the surface.

Just want to update everyone:  Jason got back to me.  This weekend he plans to experiment with a different type of tires to see if there's more tolerance between the shell & tire/wheel.  He could have just send me a small tire, and move on.  This is going a step further, great service.  For those facing this annoying issue some worst than others, stay tune.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  Jason has sent a replacement tire on 5/25. Since I last reported, I have bought and received the "Hookwarm" 16x1.95 from Amazon. Just yesterday 5/26, I took the time to disassemble the unit, and replace the tire original stock tire with rubbing issue. I also added a tire liner between the inner tube and the tire. I did the change slowly for the first time.  It can be done in 20 min. the next time.  I pump the tire to near the max 100 PSI, and no rubbing.  The V8 now ride much better, smooth, quiet, and faster due to the proper tire pressure.  It will easily go over bump, including standard side walk. 

For those on the stock tire with 40-50 psi, you are missing a good ride. Remember, when you bicycle tire pressure is down, you struggle to ride.  If you pump up your V8 stock tire to near maximum, and the tire will rub against the plastic, change it.  A narrower tire not only goes faster, but turns better.  That is why a racing bike uses very narrow tire.  As you ride on the road with less resistance (or friction), the motor will perform better, use less battery juice, and last longer.

Additional note: The narrow clearance of tire and plastic shell is to prevent debris from getting in.  After the tire came off the plastic shell, I took a look inside, and there is no issue of debris in the shell. The debris will not get into the control circuit, or the battery.  The wheel did not have spoke like bicycle, and as far as I could see, debris will not jam anything.  Still, it would be a good idea to clean the inside of the plastic shell after 6 months of use.

8 hours ago, Roll_On said:

A narrower tire not only goes faster, but turns better.  That is why a racing bike uses very narrow tire. As you ride on the road with less resistance (or friction), the motor will perform better, use less battery juice, and last longer.

Racing bikes have narrow tires to 1) minimise air resistance and 2) minimise weight. If one wants to minimise rolling resistance, a wide tire is better. The reason is that, given the same air pressure, a wider tire undergoes less deformation. For day-to-day use I personally find the comfort a thick tire provides more important than any other parameter, even on a bicycle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just got my v8 today and I have the same problem with the brand new thing.

the tire is touching the plastic protection. I ques it's a design issue, I mean the product must be tested somehow... I am disappointed... I had to sandpaper the plastic protection on the places were the tire ( not perfectly round) touched the housing. I simply do not want to change the wheel and work on a brand new thing.

please tell me your experience with the service

thank you

If the tyre isn't round it may be that it isn't set on the rim correctly.

You could try deflating it and re-setting the tyre beads on the rim before inflating it.

On 21/06/2017 at 4:07 AM, Pack said:

Hi guys,

Just got my v8 today and I have the same problem with the brand new thing.

the tire is touching the plastic protection. I ques it's a design issue, I mean the product must be tested somehow... I am disappointed... I had to sandpaper the plastic protection on the places were the tire ( not perfectly round) touched the housing. I simply do not want to change the wheel and work on a brand new thing.

please tell me your experience with the service

thank you

Did sand papering work? Cause I have the same problem.

13 hours ago, Gimlet said:

If the tyre isn't round it may be that it isn't set on the rim correctly.

You could try deflating it and re-setting the tyre beads on the rim before inflating it.

I have tried that and it doesn't work seems to be a defective tyre.

Ok so I was pretty disappointed too when I got mine and had this problem.  It's freaking brand new!

Anyways, as I said earlier I decided to ride through it and so far has put in over 400 miles in about 2 months.  I don't get as much scraping.  Maybe, the tire has worn out a bit?  Just as Maximus, once in awhile I still get scraping and especially when it touches wet road.  I don't know what the deal is about the wetness but you hear scrape right away.

Jason sent smaller tire but I have not change it because I didn't want to open up a brand new thing.   I still plan too but the ride is doing fine with 56PSI.

If you could exchange, do it while you can.  I wish I had gotten a longer range one but I'm stuck with this now.

Archived