Any use for un-ridable 1200 watt motor (KS-16S)

Have a brand new motor (unridable) that I replaced. Came defective from the factory so was sent a replacement. Any use for the old one? Anything cool I can do with it or parts I can salvage out of it? 

Haven't opened it up yet, but just figured it was a shame to toss it. Will at least open it and take a look before I do trash it. Figured you all might have some experience in the area. There has got to be some cool magnets in there if nothing else.

Wouldn't think anyone would have much need for it since it needs repair and my impression is that these motors don't really wear out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A

Maybe look over @Rehab1's thread about his ACM modifications and take one of the motor shells off after marking the screw holes (eg. 1, 2, 3, 4 on shell and rim) to be able to match up the cover again.  Leave the other side on.  Check to see if there are any shorts between the hall effect sensor legs or if they are insulated or broken.  Inspect the wiring to see if there are any shorts from abrasions or tears any where.  Check for any stray metal pieces that may have been attracted by the magnet or the stator teeth possibly shorting something out.  Check the connectors for any loose wiring at the plugs.  It could be something as simple as a defective hall sensor which could be replaced.  It would be a shame to toss the wheel into a landfill if it's something small like that.

When you open the motor, take care that you do not destroy the hyperspace transformer.

When it is unplugged from the zeropoint module (what it obviously is now), it is quite sensitive, because it has no stabilisator power.

When you break it, it could throw you into hyperspace, and if John Sheppard is to busy to save you, then you could spend quite some time there.

The copper wire is valuable,  but it would be not worth the trouble to sell, probably 2-3 dollars worth at the scrap yard, the magnets would probably be good for sticking bills and papers to your refrigerator.  An electric bicycle shop might could repair it, seen it done on Youtube.  But I would do like you, and open it up just to see what it looks like inside, maybe you can see what made it bad, just to know.  The magnets are probably not worth the trouble to remove, either, but you could put the motor in a recycle dumpster and at least it is not going to a landfill.  (hopefully)

11 hours ago, Evel_Knievel said:

Have a brand new motor (unridable) that I replaced. Came defective from the factory so was sent a replacement. Any use for the old one? Anything cool I can do with it or parts I can salvage out of it? 

Haven't opened it up yet, but just figured it was a shame to toss it. Will at least open it and take a look before I do trash it. Figured you all might have some experience in the area. There has got to be some cool magnets in there if nothing else.

Wouldn't think anyone would have much need for it since it needs repair and my impression is that these motors don't really wear out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A

@Evel_Knievel Don't toss it! I might be interested if shipping is not to much

Please, please do not throw your motor away or scrap it for the copper!:( There is so much that can be learned by performing an autopsy of these motors. 

Surprised KS did not want it back to perform their own autopsy but shipping is expensive as freight costs for my new motor is $200.

5 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Don't toss it! I might be interested if shipping is not to much

My motor will be here shortly, hopefully next week. Do you still want my old motor? 

12 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe look over @Rehab1's thread about his ACM modifications and take one of the motor shells off after marking the screw holes (eg. 1, 2, 3, 4 on shell and rim) to be able to match up the cover again.  Leave the other side on.  Check to see if there are any shorts between the hall effect sensor legs or if they are insulated or broken.  Inspect the wiring to see if there are any shorts from abrasions or tears any where.  Check for any stray metal pieces that may have been attracted by the magnet or the stator teeth possibly shorting something out.  Check the connectors for any loose wiring at the plugs.  It could be something as simple as a defective hall sensor which could be replaced.  It would be a shame to toss the wheel into a landfill if it's something small like that.

If you wish to donate your motor to science, just like @Carlos E Rodriguez  I will gladly pay for shipping and then perform the autopsy documenting the whole process along the way.  If interested please PM me! 

14 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

@Evel_Knievel Don't toss it! I might be interested if shipping is not to much

Don't open it. Unless you know what you are doing, you will damage the coils just like @Rehab1 and a simple improvement became a destroyed wheel. 

I would like to get one of these wheels if the price is reasonable. @Evel_Knievel

6 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Don't open it. Unless you know what you are doing, you will damage the coils just like @Rehab1 and a simple improvement became a destroyed wheel. 

Carlos????WHAT???? Please go back and study my autopsy topic!!!!! The 2 winding wires became compromised when I tried to extract and replace the hall sensors. The motor was not destroyed when I opened it! Very disappointed!!!

@Evel_Knievel please give Carlos the Expert your motor!

On 5/10/2017 at 4:55 AM, Rehab1 said:

shipping is expensive as freight costs for my new motor is $200.

That sounds a little high for just the motor, think I read that the whole wheel ships for that much.  Here's hoping you receive not just a motor, but a whole new wheel!

Archived