The V8 - what an amazing device!

Kael

So I came across electric unicycles after seeing a video of the Ninebot Mini Pro and being interested in buying one. I was mildly interested but never thought seriously about ever owning one until the end of April where I suddenly had a whole bunch of free time and started researching them extensively. 

It was Tishawn Fahie's review that finally convinced me the V8 was what I wanted after he said it was a great wheel to learn on.

When it arrived I was incredibly wobbly; never tried anything like it, never been a skateboarder and haven't owned a bicycle in years. I did a few 20 minute sessions over the next few days - suddenly I had become busy again and didn't really have the time to practice. Anyway, when the weekend rolled around I managed to convince my girlfriend to come out with me and holding on to her, I slowly started to understand the feel of it but could only roll a few feet before falling. Man did the wheel receive a few scratches in the first few days. What was weird was how my brain seemed to rewire itself almost overnight. The previous day I was wobbly and couldn't ride without holding on to something or someone, and then the next I was just casually wheeling up and down the corridor in my house when suddenly I felt like I could ride it. I took it outside and went up and down the path a couple of times. It was amazing! I don't get excited over much but this was totally new and awesome.

So fast forward to today, about a week and a half later and I've just finished my 60th mile. I can ride off-road, on grass, cracked mud, over tree roots, up and down steep inclines. I've got the cover for it and it feels super comfy. I feel like my balance overall has improved massively. I'm quite tall and lanky so I've always been a bit top heavy but now I'm really sure-footed and have no trouble keeping my balance on one foot and being crazy with the other leg.

The V8 is amazing. You feel like you're flying. It's utterly addictive. I managed to hit 16.9mph this evening, but at speed it certainly feels a little scary and wobbly.

4 minutes ago, Kael said:

So I came across electric unicycles after seeing a video of the Ninebot Mini Pro and being interested in buying one. I was mildly interested but never thought seriously about ever owning one until the end of April where I suddenly had a whole bunch of free time and started researching them extensively. 

It was Tishawn Fahie's review that finally convinced me the V8 was what I wanted after he said it was a great wheel to learn on.

When it arrived I was incredibly wobbly; never tried anything like it, never been a skateboarder and haven't owned a bicycle in years. I did a few 20 minute sessions over the next few days - suddenly I had become busy again and didn't really have the time to practice. Anyway, when the weekend rolled around I managed to convince my girlfriend to come out with me and holding on to her, I slowly started to understand the feel of it but could only roll a few feet before falling. Man did the wheel receive a few scratches in the first few days. What was weird was how my brain seemed to rewire itself almost overnight. The previous day I was wobbly and couldn't ride without holding on to something or someone, and then the next I was just casually wheeling up and down the corridor in my house when suddenly I felt like I could ride it. I took it outside and went up and down the path a couple of times. It was amazing! I don't get excited over much but this was totally new and awesome.

So fast forward to today, about a week and a half later and I've just finished my 60th mile. I can ride off-road, on grass, cracked mud, over tree roots, up and down steep inclines. I've got the cover for it and it feels super comfy. I feel like my balance overall has improved massively. I'm quite tall and lanky so I've always been a bit top heavy but now I'm really sure-footed and have no trouble keeping my balance on one foot and being crazy with the other leg.

The V8 is amazing. You feel like you're flying. It's utterly addictive. I managed to hit 16.9mph this evening, but at speed it certainly feels a little scary and wobbly.

Great job!

Yeah it's almost a coke-habit in the making. Where are you based?

3 minutes ago, Kael said:

@Kael, a very good review and a warm welcome to the Forum.

Most people do find that in the early stages they kind of hit a sort of "wobble barrier" a speed where the wheel feels close to out of control. It isn't a characteristic of the wheels, just the riders, as it goes away after a time. Not sure what causes it - feet in the wrong place (too far forward or backwards,) stance, or just reaching a speed where the knees start knocking. However it will go.

If you are hitting those speeds make sure you have some protection in case you fall and don't forget to practice emergency stops as well as you can bet someone will walk or drive in front of you suddenly one day.

3 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Great job!

Yeah it's almost a coke-habit in the making. Where are you based?

Milton Keynes - we've got cycle paths that run all over the city, it's like it was made for electric unicycles.

Also I wanted to thank Roberto from Personal Electric Transport for his assistance before and after I bought my wheel. I think he does have an account here.

3 minutes ago, Keith said:

@Kael, a very good review and a warm welcome to the Forum.

Most people do find that in the early stages they kind of hit a sort of "wobble barrier" a speed where the wheel feels close to out of control. It isn't a characteristic of the wheels, just the riders, as it goes away after a time. Not sure what causes it - feet in the wrong place (too far forward or backwards,) stance, or just reaching a speed where the knees start knocking. However it will go.

If you are hitting those speeds make sure you have some protection in case you fall and don't forget to practice emergency stops as well as you can bet someone will walk or drive in front of you suddenly one day.

Thanks for the welcome!

You're completely right about the padding thing. I should definitely get some, the lack of protection is part of what makes me want to not go too fast. I do slow down quite a bit when approaching roads. How do you do an emergency stop? Just lean back hard?

25 minutes ago, Kael said:

I do slow down quite a bit when approaching roads. How do you do an emergency stop? Just lean back hard?

In essence yes it is just a case of leaning back and to an extent you will do it automatically. However getting the wheel to stop as fast as possible without ending up on your backside does take some practice. I learned the hard way when a women turned on to her drive right across me at speed and without indicating. I very nearly ended up under the car and certainly learned to wear wrist guards afterwards!

40 minutes ago, Kael said:

How do you do an emergency stop? Just lean back hard?

Yes, and you should practice this before spending much more time on the trails.  It takes a lot more distance to stop than you'd think at 16 MPH!

Welcome to the forum.  I too was bit by the bug not too long ago.   I also have a V8 and love how agile and smooth it is.  Sounds like you live in a great place, I'm a little jealous.  My V8 is a couple of weeks old and I barely have 10 miles on it.  

Like Keith said, practice emergency maneuvers just in case.  I try and practice mounting and dismounting while riding very slow just so I don't look dumb while waiting at stop lights.  Idling is another good skill to practice (basically moving back and forth in one place without putting a foot down).  I find that idling helps to improve your low speed balance big time.  Enjoy!

Thanks all.

So today I inflated the tyre up the recommended 2.8 bar and it certainly feels a bit different now. The ride is much firmer, almost a little harsh and fatiguing and at high speeds it really starts to wobble more than it did before. Is this just something I need to get used to or do you guys ride at a different pressure?

I've experimented with different pressure. I agree the lower pressure seems a little more forgiving and less wobbly at high speeds (~40psi). Lately I've been trying to increase pressure to improve mileage (~50psi) but I think I'll end up sticking with mid 40s. 

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

I've experimented with different pressure. I agree the lower pressure seems a little more forgiving and less wobbly at high speeds (~40psi). Lately I've been trying to increase pressure to improve mileage (~50psi) but I think I'll end up sticking with mid 40s. 

I have my V8 tire set at 60psi (it's tires are rated for up to 65psi. (I'm 6ft tall and weigh about 194lbs.) I believe the side wall on my V8 tire states to have the tire 40-65psi. 

Allen

8 hours ago, abinder3 said:

I have my V8 tire set at 60psi (it's tires are rated for up to 65psi. (I'm 6ft tall and weigh about 194lbs.)

I keep trying to bump up the pressure, based upon input from others, like yourself, who are riding at a higher PSI, but I feel like the ride just isn't as smooth or comfortable...maybe as I continue to improve and get stronger the wheel will feel better at the higher pressures, but until then, I'll be hanging out in the mid to upper 40s :efee8319ab:.

I have gotten used to higher psi (around 50), as anything under mid-40s for me feels too soft, and it feels like the sidewall buckles under higher-rate turns. Definitely took some getting used to, but I much prefer it now. 195 lbs for me. 

4 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I found it easier to run sorta flattish while I was learning. The better I get the more I pump it up. It's faster and has less sidewall flex. 

You will also get more range. 

Allen

Archived