Ninebot E+ starts to adjust petals upward

tjcooper

Litewave,

your ANGLE CALIBRATION is a really nice setup.  I have done it with with two plastic cups and it works great.  I tried it for this problem and I do not get the white lights showing up at the finish of the calibration.  SO I am believing that the system is not doing ANGLE CALIBRATION because of the current problem.

Vik's,

I have done two of your THREE system reset operations ( I detailed the two of them up about 14 posts back up this thread)  Thus far nothing I have tried has changed anything in the system.  I have your third method with LONG PRESS sequences and I will try that tonight and see if any changes.

AGAIN I ASK:  is there any "signature" to the Ninebot that tells you a system reset/calibration has been successful?

I will tear down the battery this weekend and do the tests that I listed earlier.   I personally think this is "lost effort" but at this stage I am willing to try anything.

Is there a Segway factory number I can call for technical support?  I bought my Ninebot from Forward California who was a certified dealer at the time.  Trouble is they have gone out of business (but still have an active Facebook page) and I have no way of proving that I still have a unit under factory warranty.

tjcooper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, tjcooper said:

Litewave,

your ANGLE CALIBRATION is a really nice setup.  I have done it with with two plastic cups and it works great.  I tried it for this problem and I do not get the white lights showing up at the finish of the calibration.  SO I am believing that the system is not doing ANGLE CALIBRATION because of the current problem.

Thanks, not my video, but glad you found it helpful. As demonstrated in that clip, calibration is successful when the wheel beeps continuously and flashes RED not white. 

I suggest you unplug the battery and let the Ninebot sit for a while (10 minutes or more), reconnect, and then very carefully do the calibration procedure exactly as demonstrated in the video. If you don't get the continuous beeping and flashing red lights at the end, you probably need to send it in for repairs.

51 minutes ago, steve454 said:

http://www.ninebotrepair.com/  You probably need to send it in and get an estimate, but call first before sending it in.

@Rehab1 sent his grandson's Ninebot to them for a control board swap and had a good experience. I have also ordered parts from them and found them to be fair and helpful. They are the official, authorized service center for Ninebot in the U.S. As @steve454 suggests, you should ask them for an estimate (probably a control board). They have an online RMA request form you can fill out before you call.

Litewave,

I have looked at two sources that show the Ninebot as having the ANGLE CALIBRATION underway and the system shows that the calibration is taking place buy stopping the RED leds flashing and goes to the white(yellow) leds sweeping out a pattern and then reverts back to red.   Is that not the signature for the ANGLE CALIBRATION taking place?

I trying to get a TOTAL SYSTEM RESET, I have many times and have sent the Ninebot into PERPETUAL RED leds flashing by doing something like 3 push and holds of the red let pulsing and releasing when the leds shut off.  I release the button on the third set and then the red leds turn on in their pulsing mode and continue FOREVER.   I hit the button once more and it will shut everything down.  I put the unit on the ground and power up.   I get the slow tilt forward/backward every time.

If the perpetual RED led blinking is the sign of system reset, then I am in big trouble because I have done it at least 6 times in trying to get to the WHITE LED set for angle calibration.  When I power up again the tilt restarts.  Will watch the YouTube videos on how to remove cover and get to the battery this afternoon.  Maybe removing the battery for a while will change the operation of things.  WIll call USA Segway on Monday and see if they can direct me to a different system reset.

tjcooper

16 minutes ago, tjcooper said:

WIll call USA Segway on Monday and see if they can direct me to a different system reset.

If you can give Ninebotus a link to your video, maybe they could tell you over the phone what is wrong.  

Here is a new Thread I have created where I am starting a sequence of button pushes that cause various types of calibration and system reset.   The first one shows another demonstration of my tilt problem and then shows a sequence of where the RED leds turn on forever in their pulsing mode when I release the power button.   I have several other sequences that start the ANGLE CALIBRATION from various different starting places.  I will add sequences as I find new effects.  I discovered one sequence where the beeping stopped and became a constant single frequency tone that never shuts off.   Discovered this a couple of times but have not been able to get the right sequence on a video session.  It takes like 4 sessions of hold the button and loop the "wheel start, LEDs come on, wheel stops" cycle.  None of the sequences I have discovered ends my tilt problem:

Ninebot reset sequences for ONE E+

tjcooper

Team,

Sunny from Segway just got back to me.  He has reviewed my video I put on this and the sequence page.   He has seen this action only once before, and it took a new control board to fix the problem.   He looked at my video of the voltage/current after running all the sequence tests.  He says my battery is definitely not over-voltaged especially since I had the same readings both before and after running  a 1/2 hour of tests (but clearly no riding took place).

The saddest piece of news was that after confirming with China Segway, there is no "factory reset" sequence.   There are a number of individual test cases (bluetooth, angle calibration, petal level, etc), but no general factory reset.   Even pulling the battery internally does not change the operating parameters of the E+.

So I am waiting to see if I can buy from Segway the controller and do the replacement myself, or do I need to ship unit to N.J. and have them do it.   Truly sad.

tjcooper

15 minutes ago, tjcooper said:

So I am waiting to see if I can buy from Segway the controller and do the replacement myself, or do I need to ship unit to N.J. and have them do it.  

You don't have to wait, they will not ship you a board.  You have to ship the ninebot to Ninebotus and let them do it.  But it is less than $300, if I remember correctly. (plus shipping, which could add another$80-$100)

http://www.ninebotus.com/main-control-board-ninebot-one-c-e-replacement/

Edit, the price seems to have gone up a little, $229 just for the board, so with shipping and labor, guesstimate around $350-$400?

Anyway, they can tell you that over the phone.

But at least you will have the peace of mind knowing that it will be done by experienced people, and tested to make sure the ninebot works properly.

21 minutes ago, steve454 said:

You don't have to wait, they will not ship you a board.  You have to ship the ninebot to Ninebotus and let them do it.  But it is less than $300, if I remember correctly. (plus shipping, which could add another$80-$100)

http://www.ninebotus.com/main-control-board-ninebot-one-c-e-replacement/

Edit, the price seems to have gone up a little, $229 just for the board, so with shipping and labor, guesstimate around $350-$400?

Anyway, they can tell you that over the phone.

But at least you will have the peace of mind knowing that it will be done by experienced people, and tested to make sure the ninebot works properly.

Or just order the board from SpeedyFeet in the UK for a mere £125 ($165USD) plus another £20 £10 or so (shipping) for a total of $190USD $178.

I've ordered from Speedy a few times and received the items within a week or two in perfect condition.

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 7.26.59 PM.png

23 minutes ago, litewave said:

Or just order the board from SpeedyFeet in the UK for a mere £125 ($165USD) plus another £20 or so (shipping) for a total of $190USD.

Doh!  Really?  I thought they were out of stock, my bad.

But isn't it a hassle to reregister the wheel because the serial number changes?  Maybe not, because in the app there is an option to change serial numbers.:shock2:

25 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Doh!  Really?  I thought they were out of stock, my bad.

But isn't a hassle to reregister the wheel because the serial number changes?  Maybe not, because in the app there is an option to change serial numbers.:shock2:

I think SpeedyFeet will send a new activation code if purchased from him as @SlowMo stated in this thread but best to call/email in advance to be sure.

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 7.47.42 PM.png

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

I wanted to acknowledge that Ninebot did a wonderful job in fixing up my ailing E+.   I paid for a replacement board and shipped of the unit to New Jersey.

Worked with Sunny to see what we could do to get unit back to me before Thanksgiving to ride with my son.  While we were not able to get the repair done for Thanksgiving, I was given a new unit since we had problems finding out which factory it had been shipped to.  I cannot tell you how great that made me feel.   Got the new unit and put on all the new padding and used it many times since I received it.   Way to go, Ninebot.

tjcooper

Archived