feeling like a dumbass

kour

sooo, only had this msuper v3 for FOUR days and i've managed to do this:

was having a decent ride - riding the most i have in the four days i've owned this. then, i was slowly approaching the corner, on a sidewalk, and there was a little dip. i stopped and reached down but it got away from me and literally flipped 3 or 4 times forward, like it was somersaulting - it was a nightmare - i feel like a huge idiot! it still operates but would need a new shell.. i managed to adjust the headlight portion (the gap was wider there before... uugggh. at least i wasn't injured at all...

IMG_20170505_205009.jpg

17 minutes ago, kour said:

was having a decent ride - riding the most i have in the four days i've owned this. then, i was slowly approaching the corner, on a sidewalk, and there was a little dip. i stopped and reached down but it got away from me and literally flipped 3 or 4 times forward, like it was somersaulting - it was a nightmare - i feel like a huge idiot! it still operates but would need a new shell.. i managed to adjust the headlight portion (the gap was wider there before... uugggh. at least i wasn't injured at all...

IMG_20170505_205009.jpg

And now that you have those scratches, you can have more fun since you won't have to worry about scratching it !

:D

(gives the wheel 'character')

Allen

6 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

And now that you have those scratches, you can have more fun since you won't have to worry about scratching it !

:D

(gives the wheel 'character')

haha, thanks man... there was something rattling around, too.. something tiny; part of a screw, piece of plastic, i don't konw - so i shook it for a bit and eventually it stopped.. guess it lodged in somewhere. yeeeeah, better get some tape

Wow, that's painful to see. You're the second person in so many weeks that have had a freak fall where the wheel does one of those crazy spin-outs. @TremF messed up his Monster in a slightly similar way.

I know we like the idea of having pretty looking wheels, but I think it's the nature of the beast that no matter how careful we are, you're going to lose-it eventually and it's going to get banged up.

From a short distance away nobody but you will notice it, and certainly the vast majority of people who've never even seen one will notice - they'll be distracted by the bigger picture of a guy going down the street on one wheel :o

But my condolences anyway :mellow:

Quote from "Field of EUC Dreams:"  If you ride it, scratches will come.

On a positive note, at least you know where the vulnerable spots on the wheel are. Maybe padding those areas up with some dense foam or rubber shielding will cover up the war wounds while future-proofing the wheel against more damage to those spots.  I know on my Ninebot the plastic part in the bottom tends to hit curb edges really badly so I watch out the best I can for drop offs or hitting curbs at a bad angle.  It still happens though so I might place some hard plastic skid strips to try to cushion the area.

If you've ever gotten a brand new bike or skateboard you know sooner or later it will get dinged up.  It's just part of life and riding a one wheeled device.  An unscathed wheel is most likely the one that hasn't been enjoyed as much...

5 hours ago, kour said:

IMG_20170505_205009.jpg

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, that's painful to see. You're the second person in so many weeks that have had a freak fall where the wheel does one of those crazy spin-outs. @TremF messed up his Monster in a slightly similar way.

I know we like the idea of having pretty looking wheels, but I think it's the nature of the beast that no matter how careful we are, you're going to lose-it eventually and it's going to get banged up.

From a short distance away nobody but you will notice it, and certainly the vast majority of people who've never even seen one will notice - they'll be distracted by the bigger picture of a guy going down the street on one wheel :o

But my condolences anyway :mellow:

As @Marty Backe said I had a very similar incident. I was on my second ride and had done about 32 miles. I was tired so maybe wasn't as responsive as I could have been but I misjudged a lip I was riding up and because I was slow it didn't go and I ended up just stepping up. The problem with your MSuper and my Monster is the tire is very exposed so when they drop, if they spin, they can end up flipping the EUC's. Mine flipped and smashed the handle are into the ground damaging all 3 of the main screws/screw areas holding the handle together on the right hand side. I'm looking at a new case too and will be adding something to act as bumpers!
I'm not bothered about a few scratches/battle scars as my ACM dropped a few times when I first got it and got quite scratched up BUT held together so I haven't gone for a new case. The Monster I have had to add a couple of big cable ties to the handle to help take the strain and some tape over the front and around the light to stop any water getting in where the case is open :(

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Bummer! Yep...been there ...done that with my ACM in the first hour. It hurts!!  First your want to :crying: but just think what fish stories you can tell your friends: "a crocodile jumped out and grabbed it" or "my pit bull used it as a chew toy". Maybe airbrush over the area to conceal the scratches:)

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It's just part of life and riding a one wheeled device.

Yes, unfortunately with one wheel, IT WILL GO DOWN sooner or later.

I think, however, that Gotway did not take care of the customer when designing these large, heavy wheels. They clearly gave the customer a severely under-built shell. When I think back over my worst crashes, with damage that horrified me at the time, I realize how minimal, negligible, is the worst damage my wheels have ever experienced compared to some of these Gotway examples we've seen recently. At the prices of these Gotway wheels, I think the customer would gladly pay a bit more for a shell with an appropriate strength and durability.

On 5/6/2017 at 3:56 AM, Rehab1 said:

Bummer! Yep...been there ...done that with my ACM in the first hour. It hurts!!  First your want to :crying: but just think what fish stories you can tell your friends: "a crocodile jumped out and grabbed it" or "my pit bull used it as a chew toy". Maybe airbrush over the area to conceal the scratches:)

yes, i was close to tears! i'm glad i'm not the only one - well, not glad that a lot of us have smashed up our wheels - but i appreciate the solidarity :)

Ouch, man.  The first are always the worst.  A pristine vehicle is almost a burden because of all the tension until you get your first heartbreaking dings and scratches.  It can be a relief to get it over with, like your first fart in front of a new girlfriend.

Well, now you can get on with riding it and not being as scared.  

The EUC, I mean.

On 5/10/2017 at 3:49 AM, Dingfelder said:

It can be a relief to get it over with, like your first fart in front of a new girlfriend.

lol!

Silly question, from the image the plastics don't look cracked. 
Try taking the side panels off, you may find it'll go back together. 

If you need a video of how to take it apart, try this one.... 

I am so glad I didn't buy a msuper as my 2nd wheel when I see these pictures I only can say, would never had happened to a KS18 Shell... I had that thing falling down from a jump off the wheel falling down a couple huge stairs from about a total height of 2-3 meters (6-10ft!) landed on the outer corner of the top shell (bottom of the handle) and only a deep scratch but only a 680wh battery @ the time. That hull is undestructable, only scratches. So as my wheel is in Repair I bought a 2nd one, nothing else that a KS18AY+ with 1508wh... its bigger, more power and faster, safer and a newer generation controller, no overheating problems anymore. Have no experience with Gotway, but KinSong Rocks! And those german dealers supporters ... 1RadWerkstatt - They do worldwide best service! And I've heard they even ship overseas. So enough AD's ;) - just wanted to say I am just a happy customer. 

45 minutes ago, RoBInS said:

I am so glad I didn't buy a msuper as my 2nd wheel when I see these pictures I only can say, would never had happened to a KS18 Shell... I had that thing falling down from a jump off the wheel falling down a couple huge stairs from about a total height of 2-3 meters (6-10ft!) landed on the outer corner of the top shell (bottom of the handle) and only a deep scratch but only a 680wh battery @ the time. That hull is undestructable, only scratches. So as my wheel is in Repair I bought a 2nd one, nothing else that a KS18AY+ with 1508wh... its bigger, more power and faster, safer and a newer generation controller, no overheating problems anymore. Have no experience with Gotway, but KinSong Rocks! And those german dealers supporters ... 1RadWerkstatt - They do worldwide best service! And I've heard they even ship overseas. So enough AD's ;) - just wanted to say I am just a happy customer. 

I don't know, My MSupers have taken quite a battering. 
One of them bounced 3feet in the air this weekend

59 minutes ago, Scully said:

I don't know, My MSupers have taken quite a battering. 
One of them bounced 3feet in the air this weekend

That sounds like an interesting story :popcorn:

:P

On 5/5/2017 at 8:15 PM, kour said:

IMG_20170505_205009.jpg

So, uhh, would you like to sell it?,  For say, $700?:innocent1::P:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That sounds like an interesting story :popcorn:

Not as interesting as your stories, 

We went to a family BBQ, I took the whole fleet of wheels - Of course, being a 'pro' I took the role of 'chief instructor' 
All of the 3 wheels and mini pro were wizzing round on my Dads lawn, 

I decided to try the 'challenging' farm land at the end of the lawn, I came down a steep short hill, but didn't see the rivets in the ground (deep tractor tyres) they were made in soft mud, which were now rock hard. I bounced off, the wheel span out of control and bounced very high. 
Thankfully nobody was filming at that time. 

Something like this video, but 10 times worse
https://www.facebook.com/rich.scull/videos/10154286537116459/

8 hours ago, Scully said:

Not as interesting as your stories, 

We went to a family BBQ, I took the whole fleet of wheels - Of course, being a 'pro' I took the role of 'chief instructor' 
All of the 3 wheels and mini pro were wizzing round on my Dads lawn, 

I decided to try the 'challenging' farm land at the end of the lawn, I came down a steep short hill, but didn't see the rivets in the ground (deep tractor tyres) they were made in soft mud, which were now rock hard. I bounced off, the wheel span out of control and bounced very high. 
Thankfully nobody was filming at that time. 

Something like this video, but 10 times worse
https://www.facebook.com/rich.scull/videos/10154286537116459/

:)  I love it when the conditions are just right and the wheel keeps on going like in that video. I can image your scenario. I guess it was a good thing that it happened on grass - concrete would not be good.

i think it's just as important, now, to give a new rider an idea of how powerful these wheels are as giving advice about posture, technique, etc...

having ZERO experience with eucs or segways and even hoverboards, i feel i underestimated this

Maybe visit your local auto hardware store.  Should have something that will help fill in the scratches, of course you should sand away the rough edges first to remove jagged material.  Pickup some plastic friendly paint too.

Won't get you back to the "Just out of the factory" look but will be less of an eyesore. 

On 5/5/2017 at 10:41 PM, kour said:

IMG_20170505_223535.jpg

Why don't you cover it with the protective foam  like I did mine to cover the scratches? it looks nice I think some people even think it comes like that you can do a slightly different design on the top before you know it you will forget about those scratches

Drsa0ve.jpgINnH1kN.jpg

I really like the "design-y" elements in the way you put the padding on.  It looks great to me.  I really like the sharp-looking cut-out you did for the headlight area.  Looks very natural there.

You have lots of nice lines, with everything meeting up neatly even on the diagonal.  

Did you find any of that hard or awkward to do?  Did you lay it all out flat when you were cutting and measuring, then mount it and hope joins and lines wouldn't stretch out of shape on the machine?

I got a couple of rolls incoming with my first ever machine, and want to pad the daylights out of it too, but still make it look nice.

Archived