Hitting Tilt back, a lot...

Maximus

Does anyone know if it's OK to hit "tilt back" a lot when riding?  My son is riding an Inmotion V5F and I have him set to a lower speed (12mph), but he keeps hitting the tilt back.  Ideally, I'd just increase the speed threshold so that he doesn't hit tilt back so often, but I (obviously) like the idea of regulating his speed a bit.   However, if the wheel is going to fail in some way due to hitting this threshold too often, then maybe it's safer to increase the speed threshold?  He seems to handle the tilt back action of the wheel just fine, he just finds it annoying :furious: ...

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Inmotion is probably the safest wheel on the market today. If you have tilt back set at 12 mph, it'll just stay tilted back until it runs out of power.  Of course, this could be dangerous because your son could simply learn to ride the tiltback, and then there's no warning when he gets near the end of the power of the device. Tiltback is supposed to be a warning mechanism.

I don't have a kid so I'm more gung ho, but I'd say turn up the speed. He's a kid, and the V5F doesn't go THAT fast, if he wears a helmet the absolute worst he'll do is break a limb, and he'll recover fast from any fall.

OK @codersarepeople, full disclosure...I may have already increased the speed a bit...

OK, let's just say for argument's sake that the wheel is already at the max speed :shock2: (hypothetically) and he's still hitting tilt back quite often...as long as the only concern is when the battery is too low, then I think we are good (relatively speaking of course).

36 minutes ago, Maximus said:

OK @codersarepeople, full disclosure...I may have already increased the speed a bit...

OK, let's just say for argument's sake that the wheel is already at the max speed :shock2: (hypothetically) and he's still hitting tilt back quite often...as long as the only concern is when the battery is too low, then I think we are good (relatively speaking of course).

No harm in hitting tiltback (for the EUC!!!) at all. So answer to your question is yes, it's OK. Tiltback is nothing more than the wheel angle relative to the road. Especially when talking about lower speed set by limiter in the app.

4 hours ago, Maximus said:

Does anyone know if it's OK to hit "tilt back" a lot when riding?  My son is riding an Inmotion V5F and I have him set to a lower speed (12mph), but he keeps hitting the tilt back.  Ideally, I'd just increase the speed threshold so that he doesn't hit tilt back so often, but I (obviously) like the idea of regulating his speed a bit.   However, if the wheel is going to fail in some way due to hitting this threshold too often, then maybe it's safer to increase the speed threshold?  He seems to handle the tilt back action of the wheel just fine, he just finds it annoying :furious: ...

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

The top speed of the v5f+ is 25/26kph. How old is your son? If he's over 10 and rides bicycles then I guarantee he's gone faster than that regularly.

A sudden and/or aggressive tilt-back can shake up even an experienced euc rider, especially if it happens at just the 'wrong' moment. Probably better if you remove speed restriction altogether and instead teach him to wear safety gear and ride carefully. I'm sure showing him photos of some of the injuries people have uploaded will caution even the biggest daredevil ?

Ain't that the truth. I had a super aggressive tilt back a week ago due to several factors coming into play at nearly the same time and I just barely stayed on but minorly sprained my back while doing so. Mostly it was me riding the tilt back slightly.

I don't know about your kid but I fall off at least twice day doing stupid stuff. However I no longer and will not ride the tilt back. It's just asking for trouble.

I do not know if your kid has crashed at higher speeds. It really hurts and pain has a way of slowing us all down.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-5 at 5:39 PM, Maximus said:

Does anyone know if it's OK to hit "tilt back" a lot when riding?

Yes, it's perfectly OK. The only downside: due to the weird and changing foot positioning, the wheel may be more difficult to control.

Thanks @Mono!  My son seems to be dealing with the tilt back pretty well.  I was just concerned about the wheel cutting out for some reason due to regular tilt back.  He seems to be managing it pretty well, but it's apparent that he wants to travel at a speed that is beyond what the V5F is capable of.  Hopefully he can just learn what that speed threshold is and avoid constantly exceeding it so that he doesn't have to be alarmed all the time :)

6 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I was just concerned about the wheel cutting out for some reason due to regular tilt back.

I think to set the tilt back speed to a lower than the maximal value is a good idea and the best you can do. I am doing the same on my V8. This has two beneficial effects. The wheel is always further away from its power limits and from its cutout speed, and when a crash happens, it happens at a lower speed. I do not expect the wheel to ever cut off due to running into the tilt back speed but only due to running into/over the cutout speed.

55 minutes ago, Maximus said:

My son seems to be dealing with the tilt back pretty well.

@Monoand @codersarepeople Are spot on. Absolutely no harm can come to the wheel by it tilting back, it is purely a warning mechanism, just like beeping. Indeed, a few people (including above) have warned at hurting themselves as a result of tilt back being quite aggressive so getting your son used to tilt backs and handling them safely is, in itself, an excellent learning tool.

However, It is in your above quoted sentence that the danger might lay. If your son gets completely used to tiltback, I.e. Learns to ride it and, subconsciously at least ignore it, then its use as a warning tool has been completely negated. Later, when riding at full speed where tiltback REALLY means "slow down you have reached an unsafe speed for this wheel" then ignoring it, followed by hitting an unfortunate bump could result in flying off of the wheel at speed.

36 minutes ago, Keith said:

However, It is in your above quoted sentence that the danger might lay. If your son gets completely used to tiltback, I.e. Learns to ride it and, subconsciously at least ignore it, then its use as a warning tool has been completely negated. Later, when riding at full speed where tiltback REALLY means "slow down you have reached an unsafe speed for this wheel" then ignoring it, followed by hitting an unfortunate bump could result in flying off of the wheel at speed.

Thanks @Keith for the warning.  It appears to me that he's not ignoring it.  He doesn't like the way it rides when the peddles are tilted back, and slows down, so I think that it's serving its purpose.  The original intent of the question was to get a better sense of the reasons that the EUC motors were cutting out and trying to ensure that hitting tilt back repeatedly was not a cause of those cutouts.  It sounds like that isn't a concern, and the primary concern with tilt back is just the rider's ability to continue maintaining control with the peddles raised until the speed is reduced and the peddles level off.

To all those of you telling people that till back is nothing to be concern. You are a bunch of irresponsible ignorant riders. 

In order to execute a tilt back the wheel has to accelerate in order for the pedals to shift and maintain the tilt back angle.  Second the tilt back last warning to the ride unless there is another level of alarm. is your last chance to change your speed while you can control and prevent a cut-off.  The reason the tilt back is there is because the manufacturer determine any higher speed can not be reliably sustained. 

So dear parent. Look at the research on effect on hitting an object at 15, 20 and 25 mph. 20 mph is 32kph.  If your kids are not wearing protection, they will get hurt. It's just one wheel, made by human, not trained very well and with poor quality controls. When the electronics fail, you will fall. The question is are you ready to take the fall and at what speed you have committed to be acceptable risk for you. 

1 hour ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

To all those of you telling people that till back is nothing to be concern. You are a bunch of irresponsible ignorant riders. 

In order to execute a tilt back the wheel has to accelerate in order for the pedals to shift and maintain the tilt back angle.  Second the tilt back last warning to the ride unless there is another level of alarm. is your last chance to change your speed while you can control and prevent a cut-off.  The reason the tilt back is there is because the manufacturer determine any higher speed can not be reliably sustained. 

Did you ever read the OP's question before you start to call people ignorant?

Nobody here were talking about riding "through" the tilt-back or ignoring it altogether. The question and the answers were regarding the harm of the tiltback to the EUC and it's electronics and if hitting the tiltback often is ok for EUC's technical long-term condition.

Ok. We are free to like or dislike things here on this forum, but since you begin to give negatives and calling us a bunch of irresponsible ignorant.... I take it almost personally and find it insulting.

Do you care to elaborate which part of this post you didn't understand right, @Carlos E Rodriguez?

On ‎05‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 6:40 PM, Vik's said:

No harm in hitting tiltback (for the EUC!!!) at all. So answer to your question is yes, it's OK. Tiltback is nothing more than the wheel angle relative to the road. Especially when talking about lower speed set by limiter in the app.

I appreciate the warning @Carlos E Rodriguez.  I created the thread so that I could hear concerns that people had and try to gain a better understanding of the risks.  For what its worth, my son slows down when he reaches tilt back and he is never (up to this point) riding with a battery that is low (i.e. below ~40%).  I mentioned the battery levels because I'm assuming that some of the "cut out" that can occur is related to the inability of the battery to successfully engage tilt back for a lack of remaining power.  My son always slows down when he reaches the tilt back because the wheel makes a loud beeping noise that he hates and it's obviously uncomfortable to ride when the peddle angle is tilted up.  Hopefully I'm not being naive and setting my son up for failure.  He seems to be grasping a better sense of when he's reaching 14+ mph so I think he's hitting tilt back a little less than a few weeks ago.  Thanks again for all of your responses.  This forum is truly fantastic and I appreciate all of the feedback!

13 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

So dear parent. Look at the research on effect on hitting an object at 15, 20 and 25 mph. 20 mph is 32kph

Not only is this reply rude and condescending, it's also irrelevant.

The wheel can't even reach 20mph. Secondly, you can technically get hurt at ANY speed if you fall off.

Actually, you can get hurt slipping and falling as you fucking WALK. Forget eucs. So your entire take on this is pretty useless.

The advice he's been given is sound. Tilt-back cant hurt the mechanics of the wheel, but it can startle/disrupt a rider if it happens suddenly and awkwardly.

Pointing out there is still risk is totally useless. Of course there is. Statistically speaking driving a bloody car is one of the most dangerous things you can do. The constantly present risks with riding these things doesnt make the advice given by people here any less valid.

Am I the only one who finds tiltback makes it more difficult to slow down, as the plates are already back a bit. I think I would find tilt forward would make me slow down.

Maybe I am riding wrong.

13 minutes ago, LGJ said:

I think I would find tilt forward would make me slow down.

I think that the problem with this is that, if you are already going fast enough to engage tilt back, you are likely leaning slightly forward, so if the wheel were to lean you forward even more, you would (more than likely) be forced off the wheel...I think that tilt back attempts to gets your center of gravity and weight moving backwards, which should begin slowing the wheel down.

On 2017-5-23 at 4:33 PM, Maximus said:

I mentioned the battery levels because I'm assuming that some of the "cut out" that can occur is related to the inability of the battery to successfully engage tilt back for a lack of remaining power.

On a decent wheel like the InMotion I would be pretty confident that a cut out only happens when one exceeds the maximal speed (which should be beyond 30km/h for the V5F). Before that, the wheel might still not be able to deliver enough power to keep the pedals horizontal. Fortunately, this is quite different and a situation from which I have recovered in the past without going down.

On 2017-5-23 at 9:49 PM, LGJ said:

Am I the only one who finds tiltback makes it more difficult to slow down, as the plates are already back a bit. I think I would find tilt forward would make me slow down.

Maybe I am riding wrong.

Tiltback advances the wheel in front of the rider and makes it very difficult to accelerate further. That's what it is for. I have the same impression as you though: hard braking seems to become more difficult under tiltback and one may well have the fear to slide down the pedals. I think, as usual, bent, soft knees help to mitigate the problem even though they make the foot positioning even more awkward in this case.

I also agree that tilt forward can be a perfectly feasible way to notify the rider to slow down and it has happened to me once or twice on different wheels when I apparently reached the power limits of the motor. A wheel that gets suddenly soft and mushy gives a great incentive to slow down. I don't think though that it would have the advantage to make braking easier. In particular to initiate braking becomes rather more difficult.  

Archived