Excitement about KS16S Sport?

dpong

I will test "riding mode" for breaking .. In fact did not really test it much as I have switched to player mode immediately after I bought the KS16...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

I will test "riding mode" for breaking .. In fact did not really test it much as I have switched to player mode immediately after I bought the KS16...

See if it helps. If you've never done hard power braking before, take it easy at start. You need to be somewhat leaned back when you start to brake, if you just stomp down on your heels, the wheel will slow down fast, but you might not... you sort of have to "lean into the brake". Also, be aware that this maneuver has sometimes blown mainboards on some people (but not on brand models as far as I know), as the braking current can get into really high values. Not meaning to scare you really, but check if the mainboard temps go up a lot, and if they do, allow it to cooldown a bit between attempts.

Graphs from (not "as hard as possible") power braking from something like 20km/h with my weight (<=60kg with full gear) using EUC Extreme's Gotway MCM2s:

tfN69mN.png

The momentary power reaches about 3kW at best, although at least older Gotway mainboards might exaggerate the currents.

2 minutes ago, esaj said:

See if it helps. If you've never done hard power braking before, take it easy at start. You need to be somewhat leaned back when you start to brake, if you just stomp down on your heels, the wheel will slow down fast, but you might not... you sort of have to "lean into the brake". Also, be aware that this maneuver has sometimes blown mainboards on some people (but not on brand models as far as I know), as the braking current can get into really high values. Not meaning to scare you really, but check if the mainboard temps go up a lot, and if they do, allow it to cooldown a bit between attempts.

Graphs from (not "as hard as possible") power braking from something like 20km/h with my weight (<=60kg with full gear) using EUC Extreme's Gotway MCM2s:

tfN69mN.png

The momentary power reaches about 3kW at best, although at least older Gotway mainboards might exaggerate the currents.

With around 4k km ridden I had a few situations with hard breaking.. so far so good, no crashes and no blown mobo..  

Thank You for detailed "descriptive warning" :-)  - I should be able to compare KS16 to KS16S in around 2 weeks...  

In fact I remember seeing YT video with nice side shoots of breaking distance from different speeds....  I will try to make similar comparison, or just mark the breaking distance by chalk and list the distances... 

To make measurement easier - WheelLog + Pebble  solution should help a little ..

Today I have pushed the PAN (personal area network) to next level - 5 devices connected 

Galaxy Note 4  + KS16 + SM-V700 watch + MW1 headset + pebble 

All working and communicating at the same time (phone call when riding the wheel and monitoring speed at the same time)

20170525_020402.jpg

I had never heard of Pebble until I saw it being discussed here.  Sounds cool but since they discontinued it, I'm reluctant to buy one.  Sure looks easier to use one of those than to track what you are doing on your phone, though.

36 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I had never heard of Pebble until I saw it being discussed here.  Sounds cool but since they discontinued it, I'm reluctant to buy one.  Sure looks easier to use one of those than to track what you are doing on your phone, though.

I love my Pebble/Wheellog setup. I use it all the time when I'm riding. Just glance at your wrist to instantly know your speed, battery, and temperature. I think they were going to actively support it for a year, and it'll still work even if the company doesn't exist. The watch does not require "calling home" for it to work.

They only cost ~$50.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I love my Pebble/Wheellog setup. I use it all the time when I'm riding. Just glance at your wrist to instantly know your speed, battery, and temperature. I think they were going to actively support it for a year, and it'll still work even if the company doesn't exist. The watch does not require "calling home" for it to work.

They only cost ~$50.

Seconded. I also am working on adding some functionality to my wheellog app...I like knowing I'm over 35 kph on my msuper but don't like the beeping sounds. So I'm making my watch buzz over a predetermined speed.

13 minutes ago, codersarepeople said:

Seconded. I also am working on adding some functionality to my wheellog app...I like knowing I'm over 35 kph on my msuper but don't like the beeping sounds. So I'm making my watch buzz over a predetermined speed.

You know that WheelLog already supports this, right?

46 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

They only cost ~$50.

Hmm so maybe I'll reconsider then.  

Marty, there are all sorts of models out on Amazon, including the Pebble 2.  Any thoughts/recommendations on model choice?

Another option is to use a cheapo Android-phone and a wrist-case:

Actually, not my phone and not my wheel, I had EUC Extreme's stuff on loan for testing when I was making the app :D  Never owned a (older) Gotway or Kingsong, so never got to use it myself ;)

9 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Hmm so maybe I'll reconsider then.  

Marty, there are all sorts of models out on Amazon, including the Pebble 2.  Any thoughts/recommendations on model choice?

They all should support the WheelLog functionality. The differences come down to extra features (heart monitor, etc) and styling.

I have this one

519WtJBbvIL._AC_UL115_.jpg

But this would work too

41uv5FadkyL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Just to give you a couple inexpensive options. There are many more too of course. Look at the Amazon reviews or answered questions and you'll readily see if the one you are interested in runs with modern phones. If yes you should be good.

Suddenly, another King Song appears!  :whistling:

f7DZIxz.png

Nothing to get jealous about this time, it's a second-hand 680Wh KS16. A bit scuffed on the pedals and shell, but the funny thing is, it has less mileage than my a little over a week old S... ;)

6 minutes ago, esaj said:

Suddenly, another King Song appears!  :whistling:

f7DZIxz.png

Nothing to get jealous about this time, it's a second-hand 680Wh KS16. A bit scuffed on the pedals and shell, but the funny thing is, it has less mileage than my a little over a week old S... ;)

So you have two now?

21 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

So you have two now?

Yeah, I got offered the KS16B in a private message right around the time I ordered the S. The price wasn't bad, and the cosmetic damage was mentioned, I didn't even ask for pictures ;) Used wheel is a used wheel, and likely comes with some battle scars, the main thing is that it's otherwise working as it should. The app claims 135km mileage, but I don't know if it is actually a real number, no idea if the wheel stores the values always / accurately, or if an app connection is required. Not that a big deal either. @Tilmann hinted me to check the pedals for cracks, as the older units sometimes had issues, but couldn't locate any. I don't know if the seller wants to be named (a forum member here), but I have no reason to suspect of any "foul play", if it sounds like that :D

Mainly I got it as a spare wheel, 'cause no-one knows yet if and what problems might still lurk with the S, as it's pretty much just released. Or possibly I could try some mods with the B, I don't (yet :P) feel like voiding the warranty on the S. Might also try to convince my GF to learn to ride... ;)  Even if it looks like it's not going to have much use, I might be able to sell it onwards at around the same price or at a small loss.

22 minutes ago, esaj said:

Yeah, I got offered the KS16B in a private message right around the time I ordered the S. The price wasn't bad, and the cosmetic damage was mentioned, I didn't even ask for pictures ;) Used wheel is a used wheel, and likely comes with some battle scars, the main thing is that it's otherwise working as it should. The app claims 135km mileage, but I don't know if it is actually a real number, no idea if the wheel stores the values always / accurately, or if an app connection is required. Not that a big deal either. @Tilmann hinted me to check the pedals for cracks, as the older units sometimes had issues, but couldn't locate any. I don't know if the seller wants to be named (a forum member here), but I have no reason to suspect of any "foul play", if it sounds like that :D

Mainly I got it as a spare wheel, 'cause no-one knows yet if and what problems might still lurk with the S, as it's pretty much just released. Or possibly I could try some mods with the B, I don't (yet :P) feel like voiding the warranty on the S. Might also try to convince my GF to learn to ride... ;)  Even if it looks like it's not going to have much use, I might be able to sell it onwards at around the same price or at a small loss.

I must have a few hundred miles on my KS14C, yet the app always reports that I only have less than 50 miles (it varies). I've been meaning to ask someone who really knows the KS products, "what's up with the total mileage?".  All of my Gotway wheels store the total mileage internally, and it seems accurate and totally reliable.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I must have a few hundred miles on my KS14C, yet the app always reports that I only have less than 50 miles (it varies). I've been meaning to ask someone who really knows the KS products, "what's up with the total mileage?".  All of my Gotway wheels store the total mileage internally, and it seems accurate and totally reliable.

Yeah, no idea on that yet, I've had the S only for a little while and work/weather/other stuff has prevented me from riding as much as I'd like. I still think I'm closing in on 200km, if not above, haven't checked the app mileage since I last updated my signature. At least to that point it seemed to consistently store the mileage, but it might not be completely accurate. Need to go buy a bike computer, low tech, but much more reliable than even GPS (at least as long as the tire circumference is measured correctly, and possible tire push-in is taken into account) :P  One of the mods I've been planning on was a bike-computer -like speedo/odometer + battery voltmeter with 7-segment LEDs (much easier to read than LCD), but I need to read up on step-downs so I can power it directly from the battery, or possibly from an external battery (a small one would probably fit inside the shells). The latter option would seem safer to me, I'm all for trying out building all sorts of gadgets, but if it can cause the BMS to cut power due to fault... ;)

It could be that the wheel stores the mileage only intermittently or after a little while when it's stopped, to save on flash write-cycles (STM32's don't have EEPROM, if I recall correctly, not that they have really large amount of write-cycles either). Or it's just buggy :P

9 minutes ago, esaj said:

Yeah, no idea on that yet, I've had the S only for a little while and work/weather/other stuff has prevented me from riding as much as I'd like. I still think I'm closing in on 200km, if not above, haven't checked the app mileage since I last updated my signature. At least to that point it seemed to consistently store the mileage, but it might not be completely accurate. Need to go buy a bike computer, low tech, but much more reliable than even GPS :P  One of the mods I've been planning on was a bike-computer -like speedo/odometer + battery voltmeter with 7-segments (much easier to read than LCD), but I need to read up on step-downs so I can power it directly from the battery, or possibly from an external battery (a small one would probably fit inside the shells). The latter option would seem safer to me, I'm all for trying out building all sorts of gadgets, but if it can cause the BMS to cut power due to fault... ;)

It could be that the wheel stores the mileage only intermittently or after a little while when it's stopped, to save on flash write-cycles (STM32's don't have EEPROM, if I recall correctly, not that they have really large amount of write-cycles either). Or it's just buggy :P

I vote "buggy" :)

Good luck with your mods - it's cool to see how people modify and instrument their wheels.

2 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

My 14c is stuck on 114 KM. Has been for a while. I've been riding like 1-3 hours a day now for almost two months. I really wish I could see my real mileage. 

Good to know, I guess, that it's not just my wheel.

2 hours ago, esaj said:

The family that plays together stays together.  That would be great if you could get your girlfriend to take up EUC riding.

Archived