Excitement about KS16S Sport?

dpong

54 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Lucky!:crying:I wish it would rain here.!  Drought conditions are not funny, they are not fun.  I should move to Seattle, where the slogan is, we don't tan, we rust?:blink1::facepalm:

I'm a lot happier after living the desert of L.A. to come live in lush, green Oregon, I can tell you that.  Half the people here are from L.A. now.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/18/2017 at 3:31 PM, Christoph Zens said:

That's not necessarily the case.  

That said, I think both wheels provide really good range with their 840Wh batteries.

Well written, I appreciated the explanation.  And for once I understood it!  Most of this stuff usually goes over my head pretty quickly, but I drew value for your post.

On 2017/5/4 at 3:12 PM, JAL_GRANADA said:

I was decided to buy KS14D when suddenly I read that the new KS16S it was about to appear. Now I'm looking forward to know more about it.

Gotway MCM 680Wh was my favorite too but I finally discarded it because it hasn't got trolley and it hasn't got lights (it has only got decorative lights)

Really I'd like KS14S but there aren't any new news about it.

Hi Jal,

Thanks for your interests to KS-14S. This is Flora from King Song, we are going to release this model at the end of this month, now is in pre-sale for all agents and dealers. You can contact your local King Song dealer to make an reservation one now

On 2017/5/4 at 4:06 PM, Christoph Zens said:

After riding a Ninebot One E+ for almost 2000km, I am also waiting for the KS16S to become available. I placed an order with my dealer already. Most of the resellers here in Europe seem to expect first customer shipments end of this month or beginning of next month, going by what they publish on their web sites. This is pretty consistent across different countries, so this seems to be what KingSong is telling everyone.

I did a lot of research to find my personal favorite wheel to buy, and I ended up with the KS16S. Going by pictures of the inside of existing KingSong wheels, they seem to have a certain amount of engineering know-how in their company. They also seem to build their own controller boards and use reasonable cables, connectors, and have an eye for proper cable management. I hope for the KS16S to be as reliable as my NB1 is.

During my research, I came across some designs which looked like someone just threw some OEM parts together (pick a motor, a generic controller board, a battery pack, design a shell for it, and add some silicone here and there to make it all fit), without having someone in their company to really understand the system from the ground up. Being an EE myself, this scared me and steered me towards KingSong. I hope I won't be disappointed, but since this is a new model, we don't know for sure how it will perform.

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your comments. This is Flora, international sales of King Song. KS-16S is our top sales model, many agents and dealers keep one for themselves use. The performance is amazing, design details are of very high standard.

14 hours ago, steve454 said:

Strategically covered the battery size label:ph34r:  Never seen flesh colored bumper tape though:blink1:  Also, when he removes it a year from now, it will still look like a brand new wheel and get higher resale value.

The bumper tape was supposed to be white, but that's something like... cream :D   I'll leave it on for now, until I feel I don't either need it, or get a new batch of red or something and do it again a little less hideous :P  My main worry would be a hard blow to a corner point, which might be enough to crack the shell, hopefully bumper tape can cushion such enough. Although KS shells seem to be pretty strong, there's that video with the guy bashing it to concrete floor and jumping on top of it without cracks...

But the bumper tape has already had some use, the other night when I had to go around an obstacle in a bike lane (for the "color obstacle rush" -running event), the pedal hit a rock going up rocky hill side, and I had to jump off, leaving the wheel to fall on other rocks. A few of the left-over pieces I taped on the pedals have already fallen off on their own, so the tape is as bad as I expected  ;) 

13 hours ago, steve454 said:

Yeah, you should see the tank they designed, it's pretty awesome.  Shell cases eject out the back, low profile chassis that is almost invisible in the trees, fantastic supension that raises and lowers the gun.  Nobody gonna sneak up on the Finns.^_^  Oops, I don't know if Finns is considered bad in Finland or if it is the correct term, but it was meant to be respectful.:unsure:  

I think Finns is a pretty common term to shorten "Finnish" or "Finnish people", without any negative connotations?

So far, if the app numbers can be trusted, I've ridden about 77km in total (some of that might be from 1RadWerkstatt, as I think they actually test the wheels before sending them out?). On Friday-night, I rode a smaller lap (maybe 15-20km or so), during which I noticed that the tire pressure was lowish, pumped it afterwards up to around 3+ bar (around 45 psi), the Kenda-tire that it came with says 40-65PSI (about 2.75-4.5bar) . Still a bit low pressure, but since I haven't ridden for such a long time, I thought better start without turning it into a "knife's edge" straight away. Also on that same trip, I noticed that while I have no actual problems with balancing, mounting, crawling, weaving around pedestrians etc, certain "finesse" and that feeling that the wheel is an "extension to your body" was missing. At one point, I had to cross a street where there are no traffic lights, and when stopping at the crossing, the wheel tilted a bit while dismounting and almost fell to its side. Of course there was a bunch of cars stopped there waiting for me to cross :P  Not a really dangerous situation, just disgraceful dismount, but still, on that same night, I put myself through a small boot-camp practice. Just accelerations, braking, sub-walking speed crawling, balancing at completely or almost stand still (can't do but a couple of seconds at best), circle-8s, tight turns etc. basic maneuvers for a good half an hour, then about an half an hours' worth of nothing but mounting, crawling a meter, dismounting, mounting again etc, first alternating both legs (I'm right-foot "dominant", so it's easier for me with the right foot on the pedal), and then in series with either leg. Got a bit sore legs afterwards, but it's for a good cause ;)

I then took the wheel up for a longer ride yesterday (35km), looks like I spent maybe half of the battery, if that... it wasn't fully charged when I left, but didn't check the battery voltage then, when I got back and left it for a while (20-30 mins or so), the voltage was 59.1V. Hard to say for sure, and of course riding conditions, temperature etc. will affect it, but the full range might be 70-80km with my weight? Had to make some small stops, as I decided to put on sneakers instead of the thick-sole hiking boots, and they're not that good for long rides. Afterwards my legs were shaking, might take a while to get back those muscles you don't usually use except for riding, they've probably atrophied a lot over time ;)

The pedals came with grip tape applied (on what appears to be a small separate plastic part on top of the pedals, were they like this before?), which has produced a bit of an unexpected problem. With the Firewheel, if I had bad footing, I could sort of "lighten" the other foot (but not actually lift it completely off the pedal) and slide it to a better position while riding. With the grip tape, that won't work :P Guess I'll have to learn a new technique for that...

I took the longer trip pretty easy, still no really fast accelerations or fast riding (I did hit the warnings now and then though, but backed off). So far no problems with the wheel, either technically or with behavior, but still really too early to point out exact pros and cons. I noticed that for braking I tend to grip the wheel with my legs, might be a good idea to practice some power braking too. Probably should try the different ride-modes next, although not a big fan of "soft" response, but maybe it's not too soft on King Song. I was supposed to take another trip last night, but a friend called me to come visit their place and have a few (or a lot more than few ;)) beers, so I decided to give my legs some rest and go there instead... I'll see if I can take the wheel out at least for a small ride tonight, after my hangover has passed :rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, esaj said:

Not a really dangerous situation, just disgraceful dismount...

Ah yes, I know it so well!  

Nice writeup @esaj.  Please continue to inform.  I believe I may have a KS16S on the way some day, so I look forward to hearing more of your experience.  Your estimate of range is quite exciting, though with a riding weight of 175 lb mine would not be as far, but still it sounds like plenty, with room to spare.  I anticipated the grip tape issue, as I am able to move my feet around (at least a little) on the NB1 E+ pedal - which is very handy.  I, too, will need to figure out some other method, if possible, to adjust.  <3 Keep it coming, friend, and extended congrats! 

6 hours ago, esaj said:

So far, if the app numbers can be trusted, I've ridden about 77km in total ...

@esaj:  Possibly not every Kingsong rider would agree, but maybe it is worth to try this hint:

The first few 100 kilometers on my KS16B I thought, it is not that good at offroad riding. On gravelroads or riding through the meadows I always had the feeling as if the wheel would tilt slightly forward and I would slip off in front, if I don't ride slower.  I also had the feeling in sharp curves as if the wheel would tilt forward, which made it difficult to keep pace in the curves.

Somewhere between 700 and 800 kilometers I calibrated the wheel to a 3 degree backward tilt, and I can only say, for me that was the solution. Since then I'm riding with that pedal angle (I'm now above 2400 km), and feel a lot better offroad and e.g. also in the long upward spirals, which bring the cyclists from the river level up to the Danube bridges in Vienna.

I don't know if everybody would like to ride with pedals which are not completely level, but have a small upward angle (I still have the feeling as if the wheel would rotate slightly forward on bumpy terrain and in curves, but it doesn't disturb any longer).

I tried several angles between 1 and 6 degrees, for me the 3 degrees upward angle was the best setting.

58 minutes ago, dpong said:

KS16S unboxing video.  These people really understand their target audience. 

What was she demonstrating again?   I'm sorry, I was distracted for a while.^_^  Oh, after watching it again, I think it is a silver version?  No, I guess I have to watch it at least one more time.

3 minutes ago, steve454 said:

What was she demonstrating again?   I'm sorry, I was distracted for a while.^_^  Oh, after watching it again, I think it is a silver version?  No, I guess I have to watch it at least one more time.

See the thread title, @steve454.  

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

Yeah, Americans:shock2:

From previous polls on this site, oddly enough, the EUC demographic is largely 50-something males.  I leave it to you to figure out why that is.  My best answer is discretionary cash and an if-not-now-then-when attitude. Beats me. 

9 minutes ago, dpong said:

See the thread title, @steve454.  

What?  I tried, but had to watch the video again.:shock2:  Something about free bumper tape and a free fuse.  That always get's me thinking, what is it with Kingsong and the fuses?  Don't they get it?  We don't WANT to replace fuses!  I want a wheel that will not die,ever,unless I am dead.  Terminator reference.:w00t2:  It absolutely, will not stop, until you are dead.  Or you fall off:innocent1:  But then again,  the fuses don't blow unless overloaded.  So I admire Kingsong.:wub:

@steve454 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYy8YpJtqaeNynFioAdmkwg/videos

Electric Unicycles.eu are brilliant.  I was going to say that they have 'dozens' of unboxing videos, but I am more apt to say they have hundreds.  Interested in any EUC's from a European frame of reference?  Knock yourself out.  It never ends.  What can I say?  Good marketing is good marketing.  

36 minutes ago, steve454 said:

What?  I tried, but had to watch the video again.:shock2:  Something about free bumper tape and a free fuse.  That always get's me thinking, what is it with Kingsong and the fuses?  Don't they get it?  We don't WANT to replace fuses!  I want a wheel that will not die,ever,unless I am dead.  Terminator reference.:w00t2:  It absolutely, will not stop, until you are dead.  Or you fall off:innocent1:  But then again,  the fuses don't blow unless overloaded.  So I admire Kingsong.:wub:

It took me about 5 views to get past her pulling it out of the box B)

I continue to be surprised at their continued use of fuses. When I think fuse, I think blown fuses. And I don't want those thoughts as I'm cruising 20mph down the street.

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It took me about 5 views to get past her pulling it out of the box B)

Joke just writes itself, though I shall demure. 

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I continue to be surprised at their continued use of fuses. When I think fuse, I think blown fuses. And I don't want those thoughts as I'm cruising 20mph down the street.

Sure you blew a fuse watching her slowly pull it out of the box? Now you have a spare! :P

1 hour ago, dpong said:

From previous polls on this site, oddly enough, the EUC demographic is largely 50-something males.  I leave it to you to figure out why that is.  My best answer is discretionary cash and an if-not-now-then-when attitude. Beats me. 

That's me.  Maybe a low-rent midlife crisis kind of thing.  I can't afford a whole new sportscar, but I can afford ... a single wheel.

And yeah, I figure if I don't take up something fun and physical again now, the window will close soon on doing anything risky. 

I seriously felt time pressure to get going on this hobby.  I would rather have waited a year to first hit and then substantially surpass a savings target I set for myself.  But I'm very close .. and if you put off living too long, you wind up dead first.

Re young people getting into EUC's, the ones that can carry typical American males are quite pricey.  It really is a luxury hobby.   And kids are having a terrible time findings jobs these days....

1 hour ago, dpong said:

@steve454 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYy8YpJtqaeNynFioAdmkwg/videos

Electric Unicycles.eu are brilliant.  I was going to say that they have 'dozens' of unboxing videos, but I am more apt to say they have hundreds.  Interested in any EUC's from a European frame of reference?  Knock yourself out.  It never ends.  What can I say?  Good marketing is good marketing.  

I only see a single page that is not even full?

Is this disclaimer true for all King Songs? 

PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO SAFETY REASONS SET UP BY MANUFACTURER YOU CAN NOT RIDE AT A MAXIMUM SPEED (18 mph) UNTIL YOU REACH TOTAL OF 100 MILES RIDING.

There should be some form of waiver where you provide some form of proof to Kingsong stating you have already accumulated the necessay miles. This would allow the purchaser an opportunity to bypass the mandated speed governor.

?site=0&stg=1&mpt=1495420957798

26 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Is this disclaimer true for all King Songs? 

PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO SAFETY REASONS SET UP BY MANUFACTURER YOU CAN NOT RIDE AT A MAXIMUM SPEED (18 mph) UNTIL YOU REACH TOTAL OF 100 MILES RIDING.

There should be some form of waiver where you provide some form of proof to Kingsong stating you have already accumulated the necessay miles. This would allow the purchaser an opportunity to bypass the mandated speed governor.

?site=0&stg=1&mpt=1495420957798

Yeah, that's the craziest feature. They have good intentions, but it just upsets everyone but the first time buyer. And what a way to make repeat KingSong customers happy.

Fortunately there's a way to unlock their wheels (I assume it still works with their newer wheels).

Archived