Excitement about KS16S Sport?

dpong

Hi All,

I have been awaiting the KS16S to appear in the US.  I have been excited for its arrival.  

I'm trying to gauge whether there are others eagerly awaiting this Sport version?  

(If excited, why?  If not excited, why not?)

Is anyone excited by this one, or is it just me?   Or are all the cool kids buying Gotways? ;)

Thanks for any response. 

dpong

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was decided to buy KS14D when suddenly I read that the new KS16S it was about to appear. Now I'm looking forward to know more about it.

Gotway MCM 680Wh was my favorite too but I finally discarded it because it hasn't got trolley and it hasn't got lights (it has only got decorative lights)

Really I'd like KS14S but there aren't any new news about it.

After riding a Ninebot One E+ for almost 2000km, I am also waiting for the KS16S to become available. I placed an order with my dealer already. Most of the resellers here in Europe seem to expect first customer shipments end of this month or beginning of next month, going by what they publish on their web sites. This is pretty consistent across different countries, so this seems to be what KingSong is telling everyone.

I did a lot of research to find my personal favorite wheel to buy, and I ended up with the KS16S. Going by pictures of the inside of existing KingSong wheels, they seem to have a certain amount of engineering know-how in their company. They also seem to build their own controller boards and use reasonable cables, connectors, and have an eye for proper cable management. I hope for the KS16S to be as reliable as my NB1 is.

During my research, I came across some designs which looked like someone just threw some OEM parts together (pick a motor, a generic controller board, a battery pack, design a shell for it, and add some silicone here and there to make it all fit), without having someone in their company to really understand the system from the ground up. Being an EE myself, this scared me and steered me towards KingSong. I hope I won't be disappointed, but since this is a new model, we don't know for sure how it will perform.

Just received mine in France last friday. Did not ahve much time to ride it with the awful wheather I had. I will try it over the Week end and will report my 1st impressions here or the other thread. FYI, I am coming from a KS14C and for sure this is quite a change....

31 minutes ago, djerr said:

Just received mine in France last friday. Did not ahve much time to ride it with the awful wheather I had. I will try it over the Week end and will report my 1st impressions here or the other thread. FYI, I am coming from a KS14C and for sure this is quite a change....

I will look forward to hearing your impressions!

I am expecting KS16S delivery something like end of next week...  I have just passed 1000 km on my current KS16, with previous experience of 2000km on NB1E+  
I do not expect such a big step forward from KS16 to KS16S as it was from NB, but there will be some differences to write about for sure.

12 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

I am expecting KS16S delivery something like end of next week...  I have just passed 1000 km on my current KS16, with previous experience of 2000km on NB1E+  
I do not expect such a big step forward from KS16 to KS16S as it was from NB, but there will be some differences to write about for sure.

I am NB1E+ long time rider.  I would be very curious to hear your perspective on the 'big step forward' from NB to KS16.  I am moving to KS16S very soon, though not soon enough for me. :lol:

Initial opinion from January - just after I got it  can be found here:

Up till now -no negative comments !  all works, never any shutdowns, batteries keep up ok etc.  

Looking forward to make comparison with KS16S

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, esaj said:

Look what the cat dragged in  :whistling:

Wow, you are based in Finland and ordered from 1RadWerkstatt in Germany? A very nice guy, I ordered my KS16S from him as well. Should arrive any day now, in Silver. Hopefully not as prone to visible dust as the white NB1 I have right now.

57 minutes ago, esaj said:

ZmV4iMJ.png

Well, back to work...

Congrats :cheers:  It's interesting that they actually put a battery sticker that lists the manufacturer of the batteries.

39 minutes ago, Christoph Zens said:

Wow, you are based in Finland and ordered from 1RadWerkstatt in Germany? A very nice guy, I ordered my KS16S from him as well. Should arrive any day now, in Silver. Hopefully not as prone to visible dust as the white NB1 I have right now.

Yes, I've had free technical advice on the Firewheel and later on ordered parts for it from 1RadWerkstatt, plus their prices aren't bad (and since it's within EU-zone, no import taxes), so it was a relatively easy decision.

Another option I considered was Jason, but the issue was with Jason having moved most of his business across the Atlantic, the import taxes and shipping costs & delays halfway across the world, if for example replacements or spare parts are needed. Plus I don't know if he even sells the S-model, I was asking about KS16B earlier from him.

Of course in the "role" of a moderator, I cannot favor any resellers, but as a private person, those two would be my personal "go-to" -dealers.

33 minutes ago, kour said:

sweet! and you get... gummy bears?! :)

Yeah :D

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Congrats :cheers:  It's interesting that they actually put a battery sticker that lists the manufacturer of the batteries.

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, dpong said:

@esaj I'm completely jealous, but a big enough man to congratulate you anyway.  Congratulations!  

Please comment on your impressions when you get a chance.  

Thanks, and will do, although I still need to tie some knots in work stuff, check the tire pressure & settings and pad the hell out of that, just in case... I'm not that much into looks, but I still don't want to scratch it straight out of the box ;) Looks like it's going to rain in the next couple of hours anyway, so might have to postpone the first ride later into the evening.

One question I have about the ks16s is about the range comparison to the regular ks16.

Both use the same 840wh battery but the Ks16s uses 1200w motor versus 800w in the ks16.

The more powerful engine consumes more battery power so the range I expect will be less than the ks16.

It would be nice if somebody did actual range test between the two.

1 hour ago, esaj said:

ZmV4iMJ.png

Well, back to work...

Whooohooo! Finally!! @esaj is back on the road again!!! Bring the kids in da house!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Just wondering: how many gummi bears per 100km does it consume ? :clap3:

39 minutes ago, Adel said:

One question I have about the ks16s is about the range comparison to the regular ks16.

Both use the same 840wh battery but the Ks16s uses 1200w motor versus 800w in the ks16.

The more powerful engine consumes more battery power so the range I expect will be less than the ks16.

It would be nice if somebody did actual range test between the two.

A friend of mine has the 840Wh KS16B, although his weight differs from mine... maybe, if I can loan it someday, I could try to test this, although riding the battery all the way from full to empty with my weight probably means something like 60-80km :P

In a more theoretical standpoint, the difference may not be that much; although the motor has higher nominal/maximum output power, it isn't being used at full power at all times. If the wheels weight the same and the rider is the same, riding at constant speed on a level terrain should use about the same amount of power. It's only during the higher power demands (fast acceleration, hill climbing) where the difference shows... at least that's what I think.

20 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

Whooohooo! Finally!! @esaj is back on the road again!!! Bring the kids in da house!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Just wondering: how many gummi bears per 100km does it consume ? :clap3:

Thanks, and since you asked:

1kg of gummy bears has about 3960 kilocalories = 16550 kilojoules = about 4600 watthours. Assuming that you somehow could use gummy bears to charge the wheel with 100% efficiency, and a consumption of 15 Wh per km, 100km would require 1500Wh:

1500Wh / (4600Wh/kg) = 0.326...kg of gummy bears

EDIT: Oh, wait, how much does a single gummy bear weight? Quick googling says 2.2 grams... so

326g / (2.2g/gummy bear) = 148,1818... gummy bears. Make it an even 150 :P

I think ;) 

27 minutes ago, esaj said:

Thanks, and since you asked:

1kg of gummy bears has about 3960 kilocalories = 16550 kilojoules = about 4600 watthours. Assuming that you somehow could use gummy bears to charge the wheel with 100% efficiency, and a consumption of 15 Wh per km, 100km would require 1500Wh:

1500Wh / (4600Wh/kg) = 0.326...kg of gummy bears

EDIT: Oh, wait, how much does a single gummy bear weight? Quick googling says 2.2 grams... so

326g / (2.2g/gummy bear) = 148,1818... gummy bears. Make it an even 150 :P

I think ;) 

Well, am I glad I asked :rolleyes::rolleyes:  ... and great to see that nothing never ever could possibly detract you from gettin' your work done  :whistling::whistling:

3 hours ago, esaj said:

ZmV4iMJ.png

Well, back to work...

Wow, I gotta get a better cat ...

Congratulations!  Hope you have lots of fun with it.

... but i'm still very jealous about your cat.

1 hour ago, Tilmann said:

Well, am I glad I asked :rolleyes::rolleyes:  ... and great to see that nothing never ever could possibly detract you from gettin' your work done  :whistling::whistling:

Oh no, never... especially with a new wheel in the next room, didn't affect my concentration at all, of course... :whistling:

11 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Wow, I gotta get a better cat ...

Congratulations!  Hope you have lots of fun with it.

... but i'm still very jealous about your cat.

You probably won't be as jealous after you see this:

qw6EVVt.png

Tadah! :D  Ain't she a thing of beauty? :w00t2:  My own awesome handiwork! :smartass: I think I might have some sort of "reverse Midas-touch", instead of turning things into gold, they turn into poo.gif... well, I'll call it "temporary" padding & reflectors, and when they're still there a year or two from now... I'll still call them "temporary". Although since I used the crappiest two-sided tape (in the hopes that I can get it off later on), it might not hold that long.

Now that I'm pretty much ready to set off... it looks like it's starting to rain  :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, esaj said:

You probably won't be as jealous after you see this:

qw6EVVt.png

Tadah! :D  Ain't she a thing of beauty? :w00t2:  My own awesome handiwork! :smartass: I think I might have some sort of "reverse Midas-touch", instead of turning things into gold, they turn into poo.gif... well, I'll call it "temporary" padding & reflectors, and when they're still there a year or two from now... I'll still call them "temporary". Although since I used the crappiest two-sided tape (in the hopes that I can get it off later on), it might not hold that long.

Now that I'm pretty much ready to set off... it looks like it's starting to rain  :thumbup:

Haha!  It looks like it lost a fight. :D

Archived