First wheel: X8 or ninebot one E+

Hi all,

I'm never ride an EUC and looking to buy my first wheel. I'm from Brazil, so the customs taxes are pretty high

I have two options and would like to hear your opinions:

1 - local Airwheel reseller: X8 about 1100 USD

2 - Ninebot One E+ directly from Amazon/Ninebot: USD 950 (shipment include), when receive I'll have to pay about USD 650 custom taxes.

Considering that if I buy the X8 I don't know if it will be possible to sell later here in Brazil, what are the main limitations of this model?

Buying a ninebot one will be too much for a beginner? I've never rode and EUC, but my balance is OK. Always ride skateboards, slackline and etc.

Thanks in advance,

Rodrigo

Compared to the price, the Airwheel X8 has very small battery (170Wh I think), but it sounds that the customs do make Ninebot expensive too (here you can get Ninebot One E 240Wh for the price of X8).

I have a friend who does rock climbing and slackline, and he had zero problems when trying my 14" generic, it was less than 10 tries hopping on it, and after that he just more or less rode it without problems. After less than 2 hours of practicing, he could mount it without problems, stop it without it getting anywhere, do tight turns, ride up and down hills etc. He even tried the Firewheel, but didn't dare to go very fast with it (less than 18km/h, as the first speed warning never triggered). About a week later he visited again and rode with me in the hiking paths, which are far more difficult than riding on paved road. He did have to dismount a few times on steep hills, but other than that, no problems there either, so in your case, I'd suggest to go directly to "better" models, if you think you're going to like riding an EUC. If you suspect that it might not be your thing, better get as cheap as possible generic to try first, to minimize possibly lost money. ;)  Maybe try to find a brazilian Ninebot-reseller and see how much it costs domestically? All I could find was:

Exclusive distributor in Brazil(WindRunner)

Guarulhos - São Paulo, Brazil

EDIT: found the pages for the Brazilian distributor, but looks like they aren't finished yet:   http://www.9botbrasil.com.br/
This is the contact info I could find, don't know if it's correct:

Exclusive Distributor in Brazil

Company: DBS Comercio de Artigos Esportivos Importacao e Exportacao LTDA. - EPP
 Address: Rua Nove de Julho,13
 Tel: (55-11)4786-1202

I never rode a Unicycle or other EUC before and I started out with a Ninebot one, its doable for sure. I also skateboarded, snowboarded and surfed before that, but dont know if that helped me directly since I stopped doing it regularly over 10 years ago.

My sister does ballet and she was riding it for the first time without help after 10 minutes already. Not very stable yet but rolling forward.

My first wheel was AirWheel X8, my second wheel is Ninebot One E+. 

I was hesitant to comment earlier, but now you sound committed to the commuting idea.  If you plan to stick with it, then money issues aside, you must go with the Ninebot.  The AirWheel is speed limited and starts beeping and pushing back on the pedals *way* before you are riding as safely fast as you would like.  Incredibly annoying.  The Ninebot is totally awesome when I compare the 2 directly.  These guys are also giving you great advice. 

when receive I'll have to pay about USD 650 custom taxes.

When I ordered my last cellphone from china (600$ worth) the sender declared it as a "sample" with salesprice 0 and that way I didnt pay customs.

When I ordered my last cellphone from china (600$ worth) the sender declared it as a "sample" with salesprice 0 and that way I didnt pay customs.

yes, i used to procced as you mentioned. But the last  electric skate that I bought from Australia the Brazilian customs charged me USD 800 because the declared value wasn't compatible with market value.

The customs even called me and asked why the value was 0 for a new device, I told them its a sample for my company that is evaluating it to buy in larger batches later.

Its not guaranteed to work I agree, depending on the risk it still might be worth to try, I dont know the regulations for your country but it seems they are very keen on taxes. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

My first wheel was AirWheel X8, my second wheel is Ninebot One E+. 

I was hesitant to comment earlier, but now you sound committed to the commuting idea.  If you plan to stick with it, then money issues aside, you must go with the Ninebot.  The AirWheel is speed limited and starts beeping and pushing back on the pedals *way* before you are riding as safely fast as you would like.  Incredibly annoying.  The Ninebot is totally awesome when I compare the 2 directly.  These guys are also giving you great advice. 

Totally agree with this, although I only own the E version, which I'm totally in love with. I'd just like to add, I've tried a IPS also which was way better that the Airwheel. Rides completely different to the Ninebot. One things for sure, once you've bought one, your always looking for you next purchase within days. 

Good luck. 

Archived