Leaving the EUC in the Car?

Maximus

Is there any concern over leaving my EUC in my car while at work?  This is basically a battery maintenance/safety question...is it bad for the battery to be sitting in a hot car for 4-8 hrs?  I was planning on leaving my EUC in my trunk and then going for a ride at lunch or after work but wanted to see if anyone familiar with the batteries thought this could be a bad idea?  Thanks!

I'd be more concerned with thieves.

Go to the photography forum and people get their cameras stolen all the time. And a juicy unicycle would be a great target too.

And...everyone has insurance on their goods? I have insurance on my cameras and unicycles for around $120 per year. There is homeowners, renters, and personal property insurance; try to have at least one of those. They do cover theft and damage.

If the battery is fully charged and it is kept in such a warm environment it will degrade more quickly.  Once in a while won't kill it, but I would not like to make it a habbit.

12 hours ago, Maximus said:

Is there any concern over leaving my EUC in my car while at work?  This is basically a battery maintenance/safety question...is it bad for the battery to be sitting in a hot car for 4-8 hrs?  I was planning on leaving my EUC in my trunk and then going for a ride at lunch or after work but wanted to see if anyone familiar with the batteries thought this could be a bad idea?  Thanks!

You can't take your EUC into work with you so it doesn't have to sit in the trunk?

Just now, abinder3 said:
12 hours ago, Maximus said:

You can't take your EUC into work with you so it doesn't have to sit in the trunk?

I can, and likely will, if there are issues with the battery/devise overheating.  It's just easier to leave it in the car and not carry it up a couple flights of stairs.  No biggie, but the security of the wheel is not a concern for me only the health of the battery...our office parking lot is pretty safe. 

Just now, Maximus said:

I can, and likely will, if there are issues with the battery/devise overheating.  It's just easier to leave it in the car and not carry it up a couple flights of stairs.  No biggie, but the security of the wheel is not a concern for me only the health of the battery...our office parking lot is pretty safe. 

It would just be better to take it inside your work if you can; no worries about the heat being bad for it then.

Allen

13 minutes ago, dpong said:

His fundamental question is would it be bad *IF* he left it in the car.  Not *should* he leave it in the car. 

No one ever said anything about "should" he leave it in the car.

3 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

No one ever said anything about "should" he leave it in the car.

Ooh.  Minus one!  

"It would be *better* to take it inside...."  

18 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

good grief.

We agree on something.  Let's celebrate!  I didn't give you a minus 1 because I didn't understand what you were saying.  Yet.  Bro.

When I start riding my wheel to work, I plan to take it up to my office and put it on the charger so it's ready for the ride home.  I work in a high-security facility, so I've already checked with the security people and they say it's fine.  

11 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

If the battery is fully charged and it is kept in such a warm environment it will degrade more quickly.  Once in a while won't kill it, but I would not like to make it a habbit.

+1

Anyhow - you should avoid leaving the EUC in the car in bright sunshine - especially in summertime!

If you like some reading about charge/temperature impacts on liion cells: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

18 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

Good to know.  Just the type of information I was hoping to see.  Thanks @RooMiniPro!

On 5/3/2017 at 8:38 AM, Maximus said:

It's a bad idea if it gets too hot in the trunk of the car.  But better to let the car burn down than the house.  That's why I always take my wheel to work, but I leave the windows down enough so the car doesn't get so hot.  The trunk is probably the coolest part of a car.  I wonder if that is why my Volvo has the battery in the trunk.

in any case, do not let the batteries get too hot.  How hot is that?  Hot enough to catch on fire.  I'm a doctor, not a scientist.:crying:

I've always kept my Ninebot in my trunk for the last year or more.  Haven't noticed any problems with the battery nor did my car get broken into because of it.  After this thread however I might consider leaving it home on the really hot days.

Archived