V8 on Airplane

CaptainKBLS

I think shipping the whole unit would be just fine. if you try to bring the V8 to the plane, you will have to proof it has no power. How will you do that without taking it apart in from of them?

Also the regulation for shipping a battery or shipping a device that contains a battery are different. Please explain more about your situation.

On 30/04/2017 at 2:47 PM, CaptainKBLS said:

I guess there's no chance of taking the V8 on travel?

Has anyone tried shipping the battery to FEDEX or UPS and have it on hold?

Is taking the battery out and in difficult?

You could take the empty one without a battery with you. If you're not familiar with the way Inmotion V8 is built, it will take you at max 10 minutes to remove the battery. I do that in under a minute.

But, as @Carlos E Rodriguez said, you may have more luck shipping out the whole unit rather than a single battery. Generally, all of the shippers are not super happy about transporting oversized lithium batteries, and sending one separately is just asking for it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-4-30 at 3:47 PM, CaptainKBLS said:

Is taking the battery out and in difficult?

On 2017-5-2 at 0:30 PM, vladmarks said:

You could take the empty one without a battery with you. If you're not familiar with the way Inmotion V8 is built, it will take you at max 10 minutes to remove the battery. I do that in under a minute.

It took much longer for me. Less than an hour but certainly way more than 10 minutes. I would calculate 20-25min for changing the battery. That is the reason why I abandoned the idea to carry a second battery for increasing the range.

I occasionally check the USPS cost of shipping hazardous materials such as lithium ion batteries, and the cost one way coast to coast is $80-$100 each way. So around 200 for having a wheel in your target city. Might be worth it if you stayed for more than a week.

Might be considerably less if you were to send an IPS I5 in a laptop bag.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I occasionally check the USPS cost of shipping hazardous materials such as lithium ion batteries, and the cost one way coast to coast is $80-$100 each way. So around 200 for having a wheel in your target city. Might be worth it if you stayed for more than a week.

Might be considerably less if you were to send an IPS I5 in a laptop bag.

Shipping the wheel with the battery installed is easier than shipping batteries alone. 

I have posted regulations regarding this. All the carriers allow shipping devices whit batteries installed as long as packaged properly. Shipping batteries alone is considered more dangerous and they have higher requirements. 

Search for shipping in the forum or ping me and I will repost. 

Archived