What The Hell Just Happened?

23 minutes ago, esaj said:

A bit different kind of soldering... Just finished soldering two of these:

ak7utmR.png

The picture's taken before scrubbing off all the excess flux :P  The wire's 16mm2 silicone cable, about 5 AWG, the PCB's got 105µm copper-coating (3 times thicker than the usual 35µm / 1oz). The combination sucks in quite a lot of heat and it took quite some time, but 400C, extra flux and the largest conical tip (4C in the 900M-series) I have did get the job done...

In this case it also helped that I spread the conductors inside the cable on the board (need large surface area anyway, this thing's meant to deliver those nice kiloampere-level spikes at best...), so didn't need to heat up the entire cable in one go. No burned fingers, although I did touch the board accidentally for a split second while soldering... HOT! :P 

The 4C is a large conical tip:

s-l300.jpg

Although I wouldn't go that large for the "normal" connectors, usually I use a flat 1.6-2.4-3.2D there, depending on the connector size, sometimes maybe one with a round and larger head, B in the below picture I think... best to judge by looking at the connector size and the shape of the surfaces you need to solder, but the "flat screwdriver head"-types (D's in 900M's) are usually my go-to -tips in almost any kind of work. But I can't say that I'm anything like a "professional" solderer :D

10pcs-900M-T-Repair-Tool-Soldering-Iron-

The picture's missing the 0.8D (0.8mm wide flat-blade), which I use almost always when doing SMDs. Some very closely spaced (low pin-pitch) IC's and such may require going to the "needle"-like tips ("I", actually, I don't have an IS-tip, probably should order a couple :P). I don't know if your iron uses the 900M-series -tips, but probably about the same sizes/shapes are available in other series too.

Here's a better picture of the different tips, sizes and shapes:

900M_soldering_tips.JPG

Don't know what the temperatures mean..? Maybe that the diameter etc. measurements are taken with the tip at that temperature, as they may (very slightly) expand when heated to several hundred degrees...

What are you going to do with that?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

What are you going to do with that?

XDYLgJq.jpg

:whistling:

Well, to not take this off-topic (at least any further than I already did ;)), the details are here:

and here:

Archived