Inmotion V8 Tire scrapes cover

CaptainKBLS

On 5/29/2017 at 7:53 AM, Roll_On said:

Update:  Jason has sent a replacement tire on 5/25. Since I last reported, I have bought and received the "Hookwarm" 16x1.95 from Amazon. Just yesterday 5/26, I took the time to disassemble the unit, and replace the tire original stock tire with rubbing issue. I also added a tire liner between the inner tube and the tire. I did the change slowly for the first time.  It can be done in 20 min. the next time.  I pump the tire to near the max 100 PSI, and no rubbing.  The V8 now ride much better, smooth, quiet, and faster due to the proper tire pressure.  It will easily go over bump, including standard side walk. 

For those on the stock tire with 40-50 psi, you are missing a good ride. Remember, when you bicycle tire pressure is down, you struggle to ride.  If you pump up your V8 stock tire to near maximum, and the tire will rub against the plastic, change it.  A narrower tire not only goes faster, but turns better.  That is why a racing bike uses very narrow tire.  As you ride on the road with less resistance (or friction), the motor will perform better, use less battery juice, and last longer.

Additional note: The narrow clearance of tire and plastic shell is to prevent debris from getting in.  After the tire came off the plastic shell, I took a look inside, and there is no issue of debris in the shell. The debris will not get into the control circuit, or the battery.  The wheel did not have spoke like bicycle, and as far as I could see, debris will not jam anything.  Still, it would be a good idea to clean the inside of the plastic shell after 6 months of use.

So do you get no scrape/rub at day, 49-50 psi??

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To Paddylaz:  There is no scaping after changing the tire.  The hookwarm has a label for 110 psI, and I pump it up to 105 psi just as you would do with you pedal bike tire.  Rides very nice and fast.  Some forum member has mentioned that softer tire (with less psi) is better for balancing.  Once you have learn to balance, that does not matter.

14 hours ago, Roll_On said:

To Paddylaz:  There is no scaping after changing the tire.  The hookwarm has a label for 110 psI, and I pump it up to 105 psi just as you would do with you pedal bike tire.  Rides very nice and fast.  Some forum member has mentioned that softer tire (with less psi) is better for balancing.  Once you have learn to balance, that does not matter.

But what I mean is, when you had your stock tire - did the scraping only occur above 50psi? 

• 3 weeks later...

To Paddylaz:  Sorry, I did not see your question on 2nd page.  When I received the new V8 the tire it had 45 psi, and it was scrapping the plastic cover.  When I lowered the PSI to less than 40 there was no scrapping, but the tire was under inflated, and the ride not as good. With more than 45 psi the scrapping got worst.

Now with the new tire, I am very satisfied with the ride.  I ride at least 3 times a week with about 11 miles per ride day.  I have gotten lots attentions.  I am still not seeing others riding it.  The market could definitely grow.  Just waiting for a good movie where the stunt person is riding this.

Just to chime in. My new V8 that was meant to be factory fitted with a 1.95 tire actually came with the stock 2.125 Kenda but I've not had any scrape so far unless the tire picked up a bit of larger debris (shell fragmets where I'm practicing right now). I'm running between 45 and 50psi for training and will report back if I notice it. I have ridden through puddles but not on predominantly wet surfaces and not gone above 50psi yet.

This has been a bit of a result so far as I wanted the wider tire but not the scrape. Just luck with this batch of Kendas I guess.

7 hours ago, Roll_On said:

When I received the new V8 the tire it had 45 psi, and it was scrapping the plastic cover.  When I lowered the PSI to less than 40 there was no scrapping, but the tire was under inflated, and the ride not as good. With more than 45 psi the scrapping got worst.

I marvel that InMotion didn't make the shell a few mm wider so the tire doesn't scrape!!

V8 factory spec is 2.8 bar, right around 40 psi. Personally, I found that to be ideal, even as an experienced rider with a few thousand miles under my belt. I found the wheel twitchy and much less comfortable at higher pressures. 

I have a v8 and the other day when I was trying to find the Sat morn Griffith park ride w/ Marty, I noticed I was way too low on air so I descended to the golf course to top off my air. I pumped it up to about 60psi and started getting rubbing on the case as I went up the hill. In spite of this rubbing I continued my search for the group through some really deep 3" sand and found the bigger wheel with maximum air pressure handled the deep sand better than ever. So I want to keep my big tire. Has anyone filed the case down a bit? I didnt read anything but a promise to, but they bought the skinnier tire. I figure I only have to file a tenth of an inch. What worries me is how it will perform with debris should I switch later to the skinny tire. 

So I guess I will do this and post the results later. I have already tried a nail file and some sanding screens over a spoon handle and the scraping is still there. So Its the inmotion video for tire removal for me. Justina's nice to look at from the birdseye camera, but I wonder if she wasnt just showing off. Also dont want to touch the LED strips, it would be terrible if they were moved to spell out something awful unbeknownst to me. I mean if I know its there its fine but.... Still. Off to get some of those nifty allen wrenches with the spiffy handles. Will post results and pics

image.jpg

On 7/26/2017 at 10:14 PM, MaxLinux said:

I marvel that InMotion didn't make the shell a few mm wider so the tire doesn't scrape!!

Me too, it seems like at least half a dozen people have mentioned the tire scraping.  Maybe the tolerances are fine on most wheels but still they should not be that close that the tire rubs. 

Just out of curiosity, what symptoms do you folks with the tire scraping experience observe?  My V8 does an intermittent chirpy sound, but I assume that's just road/trail debris getting sucked up into the wheel and quickly pulverized.  Is the sound from your wheels sustained?  

5 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

I have a v8 and the other day when I was trying to find the Sat morn Griffith park ride w/ Marty, I noticed I was way too low on air so I descended to the golf course to top off my air. I pumped it up to about 60psi and started getting rubbing on the case as I went up the hill. In spite of this rubbing I continued my search for the group through some really deep 3" sand and found the bigger wheel with maximum air pressure handled the deep sand better than ever. So I want to keep my big tire. Has anyone filed the case down a bit? I didnt read anything but a promise to, but they bought the skinnier tire. I figure I only have to file a tenth of an inch. What worries me is how it will perform with debris should I switch later to the skinny tire. 

So I guess I will do this and post the results later. I have already tried a nail file and some sanding screens over a spoon handle and the scraping is still there. So Its the inmotion video for tire removal for me. Justina's nice to look at from the birdseye camera, but I wonder if she wasnt just showing off. Also dont want to touch the LED strips, it would be terrible if they were moved to spell out something awful unbeknownst to me. I mean if I know its there its fine but.... Still. Off to get some of those nifty allen wrenches with the spiffy handles. Will post results and pics

Look for the Inmotion V8 disassembly video on Google. A totally different way to do it to Justina's method. The shell structure remains intact and the wheel just drops out the bottom. This might help you see the problem better than if the shell is in half with the wheel attached to one side. Very little messing around with the LED strips apart from up near the battery. The only downside is you have to access the mainboard and disconnect the motor. I don't see this being an issue but Justina's method means it stays sealed in its protective box. Your call.

Okay, so I took the V8 apart to see what I could shave off from the front and rear entrances. And to my dismay, the rubbing is all along the top of the fender/body with only a mm or so joining the two halves of the body. On my V8 there are only the two screws at the bottom of the battery holding it in place. Removing any more screws on the battery pack only makes it that much harder to remove, since those hold the battery pack together. Trust me on that. 

Fortunately the wheel was easy to disassemble and was put back together with 0 spare screws! I did see at the top of the channel/fender there are plastic fins that run perpendicular to the wheel direction along either side of the channel. Since some of these are broken off at the very top, these are probably the main culprits for the rubbing sound. Not wanting to remove them any more than the constant grinding of dirt, sand, and road will accomplish, they will continue to sound off till they are either ground down or the tire is.

So, no its not really possible to grind down the inside without either breeching the guts, or letting in a ton of dirt by removing the fins. Drats! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, radial said:

Just out of curiosity, what symptoms do you folks with the tire scraping experience observe?  My V8 does an intermittent chirpy sound, but I assume that's just road/trail debris getting sucked up into the wheel and quickly pulverized.  Is the sound from your wheels sustained?  

the V5F never did that to me except in deep sand while stopping. This happens like its eating the debris while the spinning wheel grinds it as I go along. The V8 is pumped up above the 43psi recommended, probably more like 55 now. I only have 200 miles on this, so I think it will dissipate as the tire is worn down more. It never did it at 43psi, and I may let some more air out if it persists. Will probably not get a Kenda tire to replace this one and go for something a little thinner if it doesnt dissipate. 

Some units have this issue, some do not. There is a really, really small distance between the inner casing and the tire, so it's a lottery - either the manufactured casing and tire will fit perfectly or not, as there are always some tiny size differences when manufacturing casings and especially rubber. And I'm talking about all products of all brands in the world - no two products are exactly the same.

I have already informed Inmotion about how serious the issue really is. Well, it's not really serious (just between us) - you can still ride the unit and it will get better after a while, but it's just annoying and it worries users (what we can see in this thread). Inmotion have addressed the issue and they are really committed to fix it ASAP. 

What's more interesting, despite that small distance between the wheel, the V8 is still stable and reliable even on bumps. For instance, Ninebot One E+ has also a very tiny gap, but on the rear, and you can feel and hear the rubbing on bumps, as the casing is more "loosen". But in E+ it happens rarely, it was an issue in one of the first batches.

To solve this V8 problem on your own, just inflate the tire to ~4500 hPa, get some small scissors (I recommend a swiss army knife if we're going to do this the "home" way) and cut the prominent rubber elements around the Kenda tire. It does the job in 90% of cases. I do not recommend scraping the casing itself. Of course this is a DIY at home method, we normally have professional ways to fix this problem - even if it means replacing the inner casing. We just check all wheels to make sure they'll be shipped without this issue and ready to be ridden and enjoyed out of the box.

I can tell you one thing: all units leaving my gaRAGE don't have this issue :lol:

Regarding your comments about my video: I was a bit embarrassed when it came out, I haven't seen it before publishing :wub: Then I shouted at my cameraman (maybe a little too much :furious: :lol:), so I'm pretty sure he will fix the camera position next time B)

I always try to find out the best disassembly ways myself, without risking damaging the electronics or anything. I think: if I can do it, everyone can do it - this is what I want to show people.

With the V8 both ways to disassembly are pretty annoying, anyway :) But I'm glad I could help at least some of you!

Gotway ACM16 and Inmotion V5F are coming next :D

16 minutes ago, Justina said:

Regarding your comments about my video: I was a bit embarrassed when it came out, I haven't seen it before publishing :wub: Then I shouted at my cameraman (maybe a little too much :furious: :lol:), so I'm pretty sure he will fix the camera position next time B)

I always try to find out the best disassembly ways myself, without risking damaging the electronics or anything. I think: if I can do it, everyone can do it - this is what I want to show people.

With the V8 both ways to disassembly are pretty annoying, anyway :) But I'm glad I could help at least some of you!

Hahahaha. I wasnt really sure you were a real person and not an actor when I made that comment and had forgotten that comment. ?Well now I am embarrassed. Look if I had big biceps I would have no choice but to wear tight shirts. Dont change a thing for me. I live in Hollywood. I am used to it.

I actually refered to your video a couple of times for battery removal and better screw identification so I knew what to remove. My real concern was with the LED lights. If I messed up those it would be obvious to all. If I strip a screw or have to replace a lost one that ran away into the carpeting, only I and the EUC gods are aware. I liked seeing that there was a choice to see. It is easier to work on knowing there is more than one way to take it apart, and if it needed more of a teardown it would be easier to do after watching both of those videos. One thing is for sure that those LEDs would get removed instead of yanked out unwittingly. Maybe  I was also trying to get you more views as I said I was using the other method. Dont sweat it. (Cuases a shine) ?

9 hours ago, Justina said:

I just watched the video, very well done, wow it looks like it takes a lot of time to take apart the V8.  It looks like a good quality, well designed wheel.  Thanks for the helpful videos!

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

it looks like it takes a lot of time to take apart the V8

I would say less than 15min (detaching overall 20 screws and 4 connectors) to get to the tire even at a slow pace (if I don't take out the battery, which isn't necessary).^1 The most annoying part to me is to disconnect the motor from the main board, because of the potential to do vital damage and the connectors are quite tight (probably for good reasons ;-)

^1 using the InMotion method:

17 hours ago, Justina said:

Some units have this issue, some do not. There is a really, really small distance between the inner casing and the tire, so it's a lottery - either the manufactured casing and tire will fit perfectly or not, as there are always some tiny size differences when manufacturing casings and especially rubber. And I'm talking about all products of all brands in the world - no two products are exactly the same.

I have already informed Inmotion about how serious the issue really is. Well, it's not really serious (just between us) - you can still ride the unit and it will get better after a while, but it's just annoying and it worries users (what we can see in this thread). Inmotion have addressed the issue and they are really committed to fix it ASAP. 

What's more interesting, despite that small distance between the wheel, the V8 is still stable and reliable even on bumps. For instance, Ninebot One E+ has also a very tiny gap, but on the rear, and you can feel and hear the rubbing on bumps, as the casing is more "loosen". But in E+ it happens rarely, it was an issue in one of the first batches.

To solve this V8 problem on your own, just inflate the tire to ~4500 hPa, get some small scissors (I recommend a swiss army knife if we're going to do this the "home" way) and cut the prominent rubber elements around the Kenda tire. It does the job in 90% of cases. I do not recommend scraping the casing itself. Of course this is a DIY at home method, we normally have professional ways to fix this problem - even if it means replacing the inner casing. We just check all wheels to make sure they'll be shipped without this issue and ready to be ridden and enjoyed out of the box.

I can tell you one thing: all units leaving my gaRAGE don't have this issue :lol:

Gotway ACM16 and Inmotion V5F are coming next :D

To shave the tire, what about picking up the wheel slightly while it is turned on, and while holding it, let the tire spin against the concrete?  I have tried that with my ninebot, and it leaves a black rubber mark on the ground.  If done carefully, and not letting the wheel bounce (which would cause flat spots)  it seems like it would be easy to quickly burn off 1mm of rubber and eliminate the rubbing of the shell.  From looking at the photo of the rub marks in the earlier post, it might be necessary to tilt the wheel side to side a little to remove rubber in the right areas. @Stan Onymous have you fixed the tire rubbing?

Yes, normal wear and tear of 100 miles over sand, street, rocky dirt, and even rocks, the noise has disappated. I also let the tire pressure down to 52psi. Still firm and only rubs occasionally when it eats stuff. Now that I have seen the fins that make the rubbing noise, I am not nearly as concerned about the occasional rubbing. Only heard it twice today on our nearly 20 mile ride. So all is good. ?

On 2017-08-04 at 10:33 PM, Justina said:

Regarding your comments about my video: I was a bit embarrassed when it came out, I haven't seen it before publishing :wub: Then I shouted at my cameraman (maybe a little too much :furious: :lol:), so I'm pretty sure he will fix the camera position next time B)

Nothing wrong with the video.  :wub:  I liked it a lot.  :popcorn:  I don't even have a V8 wheel,  but I watched it a few times.  :whistling:

So let me understand this situation.

1. We wonder why there are so few women on the forum.
  2. We rejoice when one joins. In this case probably one of the most knowledgeable, influential, and contributory women out there in the EUC community.
  3. She admits to being embarrassed about how she was portrayed in a very helpful disassembly video.
  4. Rather than supporting her in this, we keep getting posts appearing containing inuendo and drawing attention to her embarrassment.
  5. We wonder why we are back at step 1 again.

Really! Come on guys.

24 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

So let me understand this situation.

1. We wonder why there are so few women on the forum.
  2. We rejoice when one joins. In this case probably one of the most knowledgeable, influential, and contributory women out there in the EUC community.
  3. She admits to being embarrassed about how she was portrayed in a very helpful disassembly video.
  4. Rather than supporting her in this, we keep getting posts appearing containing inuendo and drawing attention to her embarrassment.
  5. We wonder why we are back at step 1 again.

Really! Come one guys.

I think what we actually have here is someone Who is Super intelligent and good looking stands out from the rest who are only Intelligent. Now while no one suggests that @Justina doll herself up like @Hunka Hunka Burning Love Or @JrKline "Wheel Whisperer , sorry Jeff, we are all impressed with someone who stands out for the examples of their strengths. 

On another note, I have noticed that whenever a woman is posted riding or in a DIY youtube video, they all seem to be doing a Katie Perry / Ellie May (beverly hillbillies) wardrobe impersonation while disassembling these robots without batting an eyelash. So in our responses the eyes beat the ears to the mouth for comments. Most of us while attempting these disassemblies see only hairy knuckles and flannel sleeves. So are we to be forgiven for noticing something out of our ordinary? Maybe we tell too much about ourselves when we do.

Maybe @Justina and the other intelligent women have figured this out already. What do you think?

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

I think what we actually have here is someone Who is Super intelligent and good looking stands out from the rest who are only Intelligent. Now while no one suggests that @Justina doll herself up like @Hunka Hunka Burning Love Or @JrKline "Wheel Whisperer , sorry Jeff, we are all impressed with someone who stands out for the examples of their strengths. 

On another note, I have noticed that whenever a woman is posted riding or in a DIY youtube video, they all seem to be doing a Katie Perry / Ellie May (beverly hillbillies) wardrobe impersonation while disassembling these robots without batting an eyelash. So in our responses the eyes beat the ears to the mouth for comments. Most of us while attempting these disassemblies see only hairy knuckles and flannel sleeves. So are we to be forgiven for noticing something out of our ordinary? Maybe we tell too much about ourselves when we do.

Maybe @Justina and the other intelligent women have figured this out already. What do you think?

On 8/5/2017 at 0:33 AM, Justina said:

What you or I think is irrelevant. The lady said it herself in her own words quoted above. She was embarrassed by it and that should be all that anyone needs to understand that to respect the her and the great technical know-how she brings to this community, both through her posts and videos like this, it would be gentlemanly to refrain from innuendo and comments that continue to direct attention to it.

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

What you or I think is irrelevant. The lady said it herself in her own words quoted above. She was embarrassed by it and that should be all that anyone needs to understand that to respect the her and the great technical know-how she brings to this community, both through her posts and videos like this, it would be gentlemanly to refrain from innuendo and comments that continue to direct attention to it.

There is always the option to take down the video and republish another version.  It is her property.

Marty shot a video of some work on his m super in a cut off T.  Nice arms, (mine are twigs) and I suspect those who watched it were impressed by his arms as well. Video below.

Point being, if you publish something, and you don't like it, take down the video.  Otherwise, I suppose you want it out there.

Archived