Inmotion V8 Tire scrapes cover

CaptainKBLS

Hi All,

I'm a new rider to the Inmotion V8.  It took several weeks to practice before I can actually go around the block.

Anyways, now that I am actually riding beside the humming sound of the motor, I am hearing the tire scraping the cover as I ride.

I'm riding with the cover on but did not felcro under the pedal.  When I properly, felcro the cover under the pedals the scraping lessened.  But I'm still getting some scraping of the tire and the cover.  The scraping gets worse on paved road versus cement sidewalk.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any adjustment I can make?  I've taken the nail clipper filer to try to file the cover down a bit but maybe not enough.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never had this problem.  Do you know what your tire pressure is set to?  Maybe you need to increase or decrease the pressure a bit?  Mine is set to 42 psi.  I also have the cover on mine and strap the cover under the pedals.  Good luck and congrats on the progress with riding around the block!

Thank you everyone for replying.

The scraping is not as bad.  I road for 45 min. straight.  My left foot aches so bad.

The previous ride, the road was wet and I was riding in the drizzle.  I don't know if that makes any difference with the scraping.  I'll probably try to file the cover down a bit more as the scraping can get worst at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for TechShizzle:  You said that Jason replaced the tire.  What was the name of the tire, and the size?  What PSI do you pump it to?

I just received the new V8 on Tue 5/09/2017 from Jason, and sent e-mail of the rubbing issue, but Jason has yet to reply my e-mail (strange, everyone says his service is good).

I may just go out and buy the tire myself.  I hate to have the scrapping damage the plastic cover leading to more repair.

Mine scrapes too and has on and off for the ~40 miles I've ridden. The bits it's scraping on are just the bits right by the tire on the front and back, so besides a little extra wear on the tire, I don't think it's much of a problem. It is kind of annoying when trying not to be intrusive since it's louder than the motor unless at speed.

13 hours ago, Roll_On said:

Question for TechShizzle:  You said that Jason replaced the tire.  What was the name of the tire, and the size?  What PSI do you pump it to?

I just received the new V8 on Tue 5/09/2017 from Jason, and sent e-mail of the rubbing issue, but Jason has yet to reply my e-mail (strange, everyone says his service is good).

I may just go out and buy the tire myself.  I hate to have the scrapping damage the plastic cover leading to more repair.

I'm shocked @Jason McNeil hasn't gotten back to you-he was always very responsive to me.

The replacement tire was just the stock tire. The original tire must have had some sort of manufacturing defect. I run it with between 45 and 55 psi since I'm a bit of a "portly gentlemen" (195 lbs.).

The scraping was annoying.

On 5/12/2017 at 5:43 PM, TechShizzle said:

I'm shocked @Jason McNeil hasn't gotten back to you-he was always very responsive to me.

As much as I would like to, I'm not always in a position to instantly reply messages. Goal is to usually respond within a couple hours, or perhaps a day at most, but occasionally when the tasks pile up, it's not always possible. Will be hiring a couple additional hands in the next month or so, which will give some more capacity...

On 5/12/2017 at 6:16 AM, ramma said:

Mine scrapes too and has on and off for the ~40 miles I've ridden.

Over the weekend I had a chance to try out a few different model tires, to assess which ones have the most, or least, amount of clearance: the worst are the Chaoyang HS-5146 (which is a pity since I have quite a few of these as spares...). Stock Kenda's are acceptable, but even within a production batch there small irregularities with the rubber deposit around the perimeter which is why some tires may rub & others do not. It has has also been observed that tires inflated to >60psi will be more prone to scrapping. CST has a 1.95" tire which has plenty of clearance, so will probably be ordering a supply of these to deal with occasional scrapping problem. uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjcWdiMldrR

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjcFFqbWxsa

• 2 weeks later...

Roll_On,

I'm pretty sure Jason also sent you the Hookworm 1.95 tire.  I am nervous about opening and touching this baby.  So I'll continue to live through this.  Please share your experience if you decide to change your tire.  Someone said it's not easy changing the tire so I'll wait for you to go first :-)

I would like know if traction feels different, etc.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Roll_On,

I'm pretty sure Jason also sent you the Hookworm 1.95 tire.  I am nervous about opening and touching this baby.  So I'll continue to live through this.  Please share your experience if you decide to change your tire.  Someone said it's not easy changing the tire so I'll wait for you to go first :-)

I would like know if traction feels different, etc.

Thanks.

It really isn't that bad. There are several threads here (as well as links to several YouTube videos) that walk you through it.

I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, and it took me less than half an hour to replace the tire with the new one @Jason McNeil sent me.

Good luck if you give it a go, and let us know what you decide.

Update:  Jason has sent a replacement tire on 5/25. Since I last reported, I have bought and received the "Hookwarm" 16x1.95 from Amazon. Just yesterday 5/26, I took the time to disassemble the unit, and replace the tire original stock tire with rubbing issue. I also added a tire liner between the inner tube and the tire. I did the change slowly for the first time.  It can be done in 20 min. the next time.  I pump the tire to near the max 100 PSI, and no rubbing.  The V8 now ride much better, smooth, quiet, and faster due to the proper tire pressure.  It will easily go over bump, including standard side walk. 

For those on the stock tire with 40-50 psi, you are missing a good ride. Remember, when you bicycle tire pressure is down, you struggle to ride.  If you pump up your V8 stock tire to near maximum, and the tire will rub against the plastic, change it.  A narrower tire not only goes faster, but turns better.  That is why a racing bike uses very narrow tire.  As you ride on the road with less resistance (or friction), the motor will perform better, use less battery juice, and last longer.

Additional note: The narrow clearance of tire and plastic shell is to prevent debris from getting in.  After the tire came off the plastic shell, I took a look inside, and there is no issue of debris in the shell. The debris will not get into the control circuit, or the battery.  The wheel did not have spoke like bicycle, and as far as I could see, debris will not jam anything.  Still, it would be a good idea to clean the inside of the plastic shell after 6 months of use.

16 hours ago, Roll_On said:

Update:  Jason has sent a replacement tire on 5/25. Since I last reported, I have bought and received the "Hookwarm" 16x1.95 from Amazon. Just yesterday 5/26, I took the time to disassemble the unit, and replace the tire original stock tire with rubbing issue. I also added a tire liner between the inner tube and the tire. I did the change slowly for the first time.  It can be done in 20 min. the next time.  I pump the tire to near the max 100 PSI, and no rubbing.  The V8 now ride much better, smooth, quiet, and faster due to the proper tire pressure.  It will easily go over bump, including standard side walk. 

For those on the stock tire with 40-50 psi, you are missing a good ride. Remember, when you bicycle tire pressure is down, you struggle to ride.  If you pump up your V8 stock tire to near maximum, and the tire will rub against the plastic, change it.  A narrower tire not only goes faster, but turns better.  That is why a racing bike uses very narrow tire.  As you ride on the road with less resistance (or friction), the motor will perform better, use less battery juice, and last longer.

Ordered the Hookworm to try it out.

Does the inner tube need to be changed?

I have not receive the new tire from Jason.  I'm not sure if it's just the tire or tire plus tube.

Thank you for sharing your experience.  Does a narrower tire mean it's more slippery?

I will probably attempt to change the tire also when it arrive.

To CaptainKBLS:  The stock inner tube 16 x 2.125 is OK for the narrow tire 16 x 1.95 as mentioned by other forum member, but not the other way around. Bike shop mechanic confirmed this.  Instead of waiting, just order one.  It is not that expensive, and its good to have a spare at home if Jason send it. 

Concerning "slippery", not noticeable, and the difference between 2.125, and 1.95 is not that much, but the ride is much better.

Concerning tire change: I have made a step by step instructions in a Windows word file with photo clip off the various video, and with my own  comments.  One thing to keep in mind, some video is about tear down, and not specific to only changing tire.  Thus, some steps are not necessary, for example, removing the battery.  Because the V8 is black many video did not use extra light, and it was hard to see the details in some photo scene.  I have did some photo highlight, and made those photo clip easier to see the detail. I can send you the document if you give me an e-mail address.  Other has not mentioned this, you should ground yourself (bare wire on your wrist and attached to a drain pipe) to eliminate any static charge which could damage some electronic chips.  Good luck to you.  I am starting my commute to work on the V8.  For now 8 miles round trip from train station to home on slow speed.

8 hours ago, Roll_On said:

I can send you the document if you give me an e-mail address

Any chance you can upload the file to the forum?  Seems like a great resource for other V8 owners like myself :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tire change video.

On 5/30/2017 at 8:53 AM, Maximus said:

Any chance you can upload the file to the forum?  Seems like a great resource for other V8 owners like myself :)

And here is the official Inmotion video (for complete disassembly) although I think they used the prototype to make it. Big difference is they remove the wheel with a lot less structural disassembly but expose the mainboard instead to disconnect the motor wires.

I'm not sure which is better as I've never done it. I'd probably go with the Inmotion method to avoid shell damage while working on the tire change.

8 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

And here is the official Inmotion video (for complete disassembly) although I think they used the prototype to make it. Big difference is they remove the wheel with a lot less structural disassembly but expose the mainboard instead to disconnect the motor wires.

I'm not sure which is better as I've never done it. I'd probably go with the Inmotion method to avoid shell damage while working on the tire change.

Good alternative.  searching the forum further, I see both these videos have been already shared in other threads.  Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Pard said:

Good alternative.  searching the forum further, I see both these videos have been already shared in other threads.  Thank you!

Indeed, but it doesn't hurt for valuable resources to be re-shared where relevant.

9 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Indeed, but it doesn't hurt for valuable resources to be re-shared where relevant.

Especially since they often get lost in the past posts and are hard to find again.

Archived