Rockwheel gr16

John Frankling

Hi everyone,

Has anyone learned to ride a rock wheel gr16 as their first wheel that they had owned??  The reason why I ask is that I am wondering if anyone found it more difficult to learn or ride as a first wheel as opposed to other genres. I do wonder it I should have started with a lesser powered wheel which might be more forgiving... softer???

My wheel just seems so twitchy. Like the slightest move makes me want to correct all the time. I,m not quite flaying my arms about but I just can't seem to get that relaxed state that I seem to see many people achieve... maybe what seems in next to no time.  Has anyone ridden both rock wheel and others to answer it the character of the rock wheel being geared and more powerful just makes learning for a beginner much more difficult. 

I am getting better but that twitching, sensitivity makes me feel if it will never go.

Shouldn't be any easier or harder than any other 16 inch wheel.

Well the geared Rockwheels are permanently set to very low latency (aka "super madden mode").  I'm not sure if that makes it more difficult but I bought my geared Rockwheel around a week after I bought my first wheel, an IPS i200 (non-geared) and didn't find it harder.  This was 12 months ago though.  I have since sold them all.

Can you describe what super madden mode would feel like compared to soft mode please. I here the terms mentioned every now and then but fail to translate how it affects the riding on an euc.  Does it make a wheel very reactive to your input...in other words does it feel almost like a switch ...on,off as opposed to a softer slight delayed feel?? 

Can you describe what super madden mode would feel like compared to soft mode please. I here the terms mentioned every now and then but fail to translate how it affects the riding on an euc.  Does it make a wheel very reactive to your input...in other words does it feel almost like a switch ...on,off as opposed to a softer slight delayed feel?? 

I think "madden"-mode is what they call the hardest setting on Gotways, ie. the pedals don't feel like they tilt at all and the wheel is very responsive, reacting immediately on slightest tilt. At least that's how the "sport"-mode works in Firewheel.

@esaj is correct.  Your description is correct too ("Very reactive").  In the traditional geared Rockwheels it is permanently programmed like that where as on a lot of eucs they are app adjustable.  That said, most experienced riders choose the "hardest" setting on purpose.

@John Frankling Fellow wheelies from Berlin made an effort to demonstrate the different riding modes on the example of a newer firewheel, which allows switching between "comfort mode" (aka soft) and "sport mode" (aka hard, madden). Never mind its in german, I think the difference comes across anyway.

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I will keep on practising with the hope that I can tame the wheel. I keep seeing a guy on a IPS wheel and he just looks so smooth and relaxed and making great pace by the looks of it.  That's how I want to be... oh well I think that in time I will get there. I just wanted to understand just how much effect the difference it makes for a total beginner on this particular wheel.

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I will keep on practising with the hope that I can tame the wheel. I keep seeing a guy on a IPS wheel and he just looks so smooth and relaxed and making great pace by the looks of it.  That's how I want to be... oh well I think that in time I will get there. I just wanted to understand just how much effect the difference it makes for a total beginner on this particular wheel.

Keep practising and you will be able to ride the wheel like that guy on the IPS.  Practise makes perfect!

Archived