can i ride my unicycle ks18 in Boston?

I'll let someone with better local knowledge than I reply as to whether you can ride OK in Boston (lovely city by the way -I've visited several times - one one occasion for rather longer than I expected when we got stranded there due to the Iceland volcano stopping all air travel a few years ago;-) ).

However, have you thought about how you are going to get a KS-18 to Boston? The batteries are a reall problem for air transport and, even if you manage to get it to Boston, it may well be even harder getting it back to China again.

I am also not at all sure I would want to carry an 18" wheel on public transport?

57 minutes ago, Keith said:

However, have you thought about how you are going to get a KS-18 to Boston? The batteries are a reall problem for air transport and, even if you manage to get it to Boston, it may well be even harder getting it back to China again.

Very easily! @Jason McNeil & ewheels.com!

57 minutes ago, Keith said:

I am also not at all sure I would want to carry an 18" wheel on public transport?

I've done it before, not super compact and easy like a circular EUC, but far from impossible or inconvenient either.

Plus the T (subway) in Boston is pretty wide (I went to college there, but not on EUC); should be even easier to fit the KS-18, although, if it were me, Boston is so small, I would just ride everywhere (need to go back sometime and ride!).

It seems, like many East coast cities, in Boston, it is technically illegal to ride an EUC, due to antiquated laws, but really matters more if the police enforce this, which apparently it doesn't seem so, just like here in NYC, per the posts below:

@houseofjob  how do you easily bring and return a EUC between China and USA? Please explain. 

If you ship it I am guessing a freight rate would be 80 to 100 dollars each way. 

I know there is no way to bring that on the plane with batteries. 

Even if you take the batteries you will have to prove it actually has no batteries and possibly check it in as a box luggage or in a suitcase. 

If you know how to fly with an EUC please explain how you accomplish that. 

I am almost thinking you can buy a local wheel and sell it before you leave and possibly be less expensive. 

On 2017/4/25 at 10:08 AM, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

@houseofjob  how do you easily bring and return a EUC between China and USA? Please explain. 

If you ship it I am guessing a freight rate would be 80 to 100 dollars each way. 

I know there is no way to bring that on the plane with batteries. 

Even if you take the batteries you will have to prove it actually has no batteries and possibly check it in as a box luggage or in a suitcase. 

If you know how to fly with an EUC please explain how you accomplish that. 

I am almost thinking you can buy a local wheel and sell it before you leave and possibly be less expensive. 

good idea, thank you very much.One international freight company promised me they could transport my ks 18 to USA. However, the company told me that it would not be responsible to bring it back. It is much cheaper for me to transport my ks18 to USA than to buy a new ks18 in USA.

On 4/24/2017 at 6:26 AM, 253848493@qq.com said:

i am from China. i am going to be a visiting scholar from August to January in UMass, Boston. i wonder if i am permited to ride euc in Boston? can euc be carried abound the subway?

I'm riding the unicycle almost every day in the downtown Boston, no issues with police.

I take the unicycle on the board when riding the bus. Once I've been told by the driver that the device is not allowed on the MBTA bus because of fire security, but he suggest me to use a bag for my wheel. So usually I have a small foldable bag (like this: Amazon link) with me, but rarely using it. I never had any problems with taking it to subway or on a commuter rail.

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, 253848493@qq.com said:

I have started to send my ks18 to Boston and they charged me 400 dollars for the postage.

If you haven't already shipped it then I would think again. Buy a KS 14B for running about Boston for just $75 more than your postage cost one way and you get to sell it when you leave. Much more convenient for subway hopping too I should think.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/king-song-14b-removable-battery-pack/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived